Cadillac of ice augers

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its ice fishing and a $1300 auger drills a hole a couple seconds fast than a $300 Eskimo. I could see if it took a half hour to drill a hole and this one cut the time in half but we're talking a thousand dollars to gain a couple seconds.

Speed is nice, but ease of drilling is the main reason to look at a better setup(I still couldn't stomach $1300 for an auger, though). My ice gator/nils combo ran me about 650-700 but I can drill 50 holes and still feel pretty good. I can drill 50 holes with an old Eskimo or Jiffy, but then I just want to curl up in the corner and take a nap.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speed is nice, but ease of drilling is the main reason to look at a better setup(I still couldn't stomach $1300 for an auger, though). My ice gator/nils combo ran me about 650-700 but I can drill 50 holes and still feel pretty good. I can drill 50 holes with an old Eskimo or Jiffy, but then I just want to curl up in the corner and take a nap.

As much as I love my Eskimo Z71 10" if i could do it again id probably go with a fuel drill and a K drill 8 "auger
The Shark is a fricking animal. no amount of ice will stand in its way. and it will cut a 10" hole faster than most 8s will pop through the ice.
I used my buddies Kdrill last year for hole hoping panfish. what a set up. light, fast, and no fatigue from using it.
Id love my shark for pike and big eyes, ans a K drill for pans...
And id still be under 1200.......

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup, I'd gladly pay a little extra for an electric auger and get away from the mess and smell of gas, I will own one some day .

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what the first Kluge Ice auger cost? I wonder if the Jiffy auger at the time was about the same price as the Kluge. When someone buys an auger like this they know it is an investment of a lifetime of use.

You can buy an used one on craigslist for less than half price and it comes with two augers.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what the first Kluge Ice auger cost? I wonder if the Jiffy auger at the time was about the same price as the Kluge.

Those were exciting times for a kid growing up having watched hillbillies cut ice holes with an axe and a chisle and once in a while a dull spoon auger. I saw my first gas auger In the late 60s and I told my old man we need one, He jokingly told me I'd have to pan more than 2 OZ of gold. He built two electric augers and I built a gas one before I finally bought my 30 jiffy on sale in 1980 for $ 178.00, In comparison that was about the price of 1/4 oz of gold . That old jiffy is still one of the best investments I ever made.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
175 dollars was a lot of money back then especially for people who lived up here where you only worked seasonal as well as had bigger families to support. My grandpa had 5 younger brothers who also ice fished because that is what you do when your wife kicks you out of the house because you are driving her nuts because the kids don't want to be the remote for the TV anymore.

Three of them pooled their money to buy a brand new Jiffy from Eds Bait Shop. I believe this was around 85 or 86 not certain but it was in the mid 80s. It was quite a machine compared to the hand augers at the time, it is amazing how well those tecumseh's were built to last a life time of abuse.

The jiffy I own has the option of the one armed bandit attachment as well as the grease zerk on the bottom. The only thing I have done to it was replace the handles with a newer type yellow rubber grips, a new clutch pack, and a new gas cap because the old metal one was leaking.
oh a new spark plug every new season, as well as getting the blades sharpened as well as the pilot bit on the auger

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still have fond memories of visiting with the old timers that ran the old bait shop at Grahams Island, Anyone remember what the name of it was ?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

all I need is the schematics of the Icegator and I could fix my own everything he has can be made with the help of the diagrams of all components. Mechanical Engineering 101 This icegator patent drawings are not shown under patent number US 9270152 B2 so this means only one thing he has sold his patent unless someone can find them online I would buy them for a reasonable price.

Those who have one of these units are part of a group of few fortunate members ,throughout history there have been inventions that have gone only to be brought back under different name or design. There will only be one Icegator now just like there is only one painter whose name was Picasso.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88