1 cup salt
1 quart water
2-3 cups white vinegar, divided
1-2 onions, thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 piece of sliced lemon squeezed
1 tablespoon pickling spices
Make salt brine by adding 1 cup salt to quart water add fish in large jars refrigerate for 48 hours
Drain and add enough white vinegar to cover the fish refrigerate another 48 hours drain
in glass jars layer of fish layer of onion, more fish and so on until each jar is almost full.
Make pickling brine by boiling 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of white wine, 1/4 piece of sliced lemon squeezed add the portion too and a tablespoon of pickling spices.
let brine cool and pour into each jar fill to top. Refrigerate for 7 to 10 days. Enjoy

We even do hard-cook eggs shelled put in large glass jar with 16 ounces sliced beets and juice, 1/2 cup sliced onions, 4 bay leaves. 6 whole cloves,1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, 2 cups white vinegar add to eggs add more vinegar if required to cover the eggs set 2 days, eat with fish very good.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
This ^^^ is pickled fish.

To answer the recipe sharing question:

Pack jars tightly, leave bout 3/4 inch headspace, bout 3/4 teaspoon salt, tablespoon of Sriracha and process in a pressure canner at 11-12 pounds for 100 minutes. 1 teaspoon salt if you skip the Sriracha. Do not add any other liquid! Other than belly bones, you don't have to remove bones. They dissolve or breakdown. This is for pint jars.

Ndsu extension office is my go to when it comes to the basic starting point for all things related to meat and fish processing.

One of my favorite ways to eat pheasant these days is canned as well. Season, brown on stove top and process in a pressure canner. Use it in any recipe you might use chicken in or just eat it from the jar. Super convenient.

Last edited:

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
on your original post you did some w sriracha and some w garlic chili sauce, was one better tasting than the other? When I can wild game I’ve been raw packing it with a heaping 1/2 tsp salt and a 1/2 bouillon cube of seasoning(beef with Red meat, chicken with white).

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
its been quite some time. but, i am surmising i didn't enjoy the chili paste (or at least not as much) cause i haven't used it in fish since.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried eating Skipjack once, and my drunk ass couldn't stand even one bite.

I used to pride myself on being able to at least TRY eating just about anything. But skipjack was a big nope, from me.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm told this recipe is great for musky....,sorry,had to.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys add lemon or anything else either before or after canning and does it make it take away some of the smell? I didn't really notice it so bad when I opened it but I left an empty jar in the sink last night and by this morning it smelled way worse than cooking smelt smelt.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
no. but, i rinse at least a few times w/ ice cold water though. having said that, any fish container left on the counter overnight is going to reek to high heaven. whether it northern, tuna, salmon, whatever... any fish container i have gets rinsed thoroughly before it even goes in the garbage. a day old unrinsed tuna can in the garbage will even stink. sardines or oysters will set your nose off from the entryway.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
no. but, i rinse at least a few times w/ ice cold water though. having said that, any fish container left on the counter overnight is going to reek to high heaven. whether it northern, tuna, salmon, whatever... any fish container i have gets rinsed thoroughly before it even goes in the garbage. a day old unrinsed tuna can in the garbage will even stink. sardines or oysters will set your nose off from the entryway.
Wow, you have a sensitive sniffer.
Never would've thought to rinse the tuna can, as I guess it has never hit me like that.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it possible ya don't have garbage lingering a day or two at home? i work in a relatively small setting with about 14 employees and one break room. fish in a can is a regular part of my diet at work. the one rule they have with me is that i rinse my cans OR haul the garbage immediately. i don't blame them. you are right though. tuna is the least of the worst. i would rank them in this order: sardines, salmon or mackeral, oysters, tuna. smoked oysters are definitely worse than the non smoked though. this topic is one of the stranger one's i've ever participated in. and we have yet to even rank 80s and 90s college females.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's difficult to fix a garage door with a herring.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5