Car restoration

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My buddy is quite talented! He restores cars from the ground up - meaning starting with a bare frame. And he does all the work himself. Wow. Here are photos of several of the cars he has recently done. He keeps them all for himself. I can see why. Just amazed by the talents of some people out there. His full time job is a part owner of a machine shop. : ) Resized_20181103_120149.jpgCar 2.jpgCar 3.jpgCar 4.jpgCar 5.jpgCar 6.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the looks of those early vintage Firebirds. I also REALLY like that copper color on the Mopar.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice Mdog....my 69 mopar I had worked on 20+years and well over $100k,then "poof" gone in a flash as in "welder flash",your buddy must have deep pockets,buddy out east has the sister to that copper RR,very nice.

thanx for sharing.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Resized_20220409_184905.jpgResized_20220409_184937.jpgResized_20220408_183952.jpgResized_20220408_183956 (002).jpg

I picked this up last week. 1966 F100 with a 390 Im going to leave it stock. Get it running and brakes, I have the original hub caps will be putting them on. The pickup came with a 352 and 3 speed on the column. They took it out and put 390 in it. The floor shifter is from a 1970 Mustang.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice starter dog....good find.things change as you start working on these old classic's....

Another dandy from my friend out east,besides his vintage harly's....Heman muster rig.His last words when his wife was standing there,rusted out etc,I'm keeping stock...famous last words.

safe_imagenumber1.jpg

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
looks great and a joy to see.

As i have stated, have a 77 Saloon five speed manual that i order in the spring of 76 not knowing for sure what it would like and took delivery in January of 77. Made in Texas. Paid 6500 and now the paint job bid of 12000, need to save for it but this summer will fix minor stuff, new tach and new sound system. Earlier put new rims and tires on with a forward rake. Next year hope for paint job. 80,000 some miles as it was the family car at first.

Sometime in earlier 70 a dealer had a cuda hemi convertible for sale. Thought for a while but had a family so ended up with a 73 cutlass. Man. In college looked at a plain Jane 66 Plymouth with a hemi for a little over 3000. Walk away. Man. Just wish i had some of the cars i did drive but sold to buy a newer one. One was a 65 Sport Fury with a 426. Still feel that was the best looking of them all. db

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed db,my first muscle was a 65 goat... headers, hurst 4spd,389...beat the piss out of that poor car.

Today I miss the days of just having a simple car or truck,engine, manuel tranny,crank windows would be fine but oh noooo ,power this power that,camera's just more shit to go wrong in my book,all the saftey crapola,vibrating butt cheek warnings for weaving over center or shoulder lines etc,wonder how I made it this long driving...

priced out my last truck whilst I'm still above ground,no longer need a full size GM truck or suv,decided on a chevy colorado,heavy duty rig they call a zr2,complete under body armor for running picked cornfields and whatever else I can find,locking front/rear diffs...tuff midsize truck,about shit my pants,sticker is $56k,no rebates or discounts,f-- that.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not impressed with my lack of ability to want to do this type of thing, as I would love an older GTO all done up and in my garage, but the work to do it, nope never going to happen. The cost to purchase one all done, nope that isn't in the johnr deck either.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am not impressed with my lack of ability to want to so this type of thing, as I would love an older GTO all done up and in my garage, but the work to do it, nope never going to happen. The cost to purchase one all done, nope that isn't in the johnr deck either.

Smart man.money pit's,at least you have your bike.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice Mdog....my 69 mopar I had worked on 20+years and well over $100k,then "poof" gone in a flash as in "welder flash",your buddy must have deep pockets,buddy out east has the sister to that copper RR,very nice.

thanx for sharing.

One day I will ask him how much he has into it.
I will let you know.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a lot of quick ones (cars) 63 Pontiac Tempest 326, 65 Impala ss, 70 olds 442, and then the strange one 72 GMC pickup with a 350 that scared the crap out of me. Smoking through the Quarter Mile and ridicules top end. Put the cars to shame. LB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One good thing about being old is we lived through the muscle car era (relativity cheap small cars with big motors, for me Hudson, Olds, hemi came to be) guns hanging in the rear window, no drugs other than beer, women that enjoy the good times (besides sex, like drinking and some could drink their fair share), time of innocent's, racing on airport road (and many with whatever you had, got beat one time by a Nash Ramble with my SS Chevy), ass kicking behind the school after school let out or that fight between towns and that is why one went to the other town, maybe that ass getting by the teacher and some hot teachers teaching, rock and roll came to be and one could understand the words, am radio, no computers and i still have my slide rule, 2 or 3 channels with no remote, 4-H and FFA with that field trip in the woods and all that it brought, first kiss being a big thing, parents did not buy the beer and one had to find a bootlegger, cops took your beer and told you to go home, could tell the difference in cars by their looks, cap guns and i have a few yet including double holster RR, no AR, big thing when one got their first 22, mine was a single shot which did not last long as i got a 121 Remington and still have, my first car a 52 Buick Super for $50 and sold for $25. ect help me out.

But being young, a period of innocents without today's problems kids now have and will have, a girl was a girl and a boy was a boy, not hard to tell the difference and only a girl made it stiff. db

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

thanx for sharing.

Your green machine is gone?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not my first cars but my first two classics were a 66 mustang 289 3 speed and a 68 Firebird with a 350 4 speed. Wish I had them back along with my 55 and 57 chevys. 55 was the nicest one out of the bunch. We put a 427 in it with a 4 speed. It was a Belair 2 door hardtop, jet black with high back bucket seats in white tuck and roll. Didn't have an ounce of rust no where. Cherry! Man that car would fly!
Those were the days.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not my first cars but my first two classics were a 66 mustang 289 3 speed and a 68 Firebird with a 350 4 speed. Wish I had them back along with my 55 and 57 chevys. 55 was the nicest one out of the bunch. We put a 427 in it with a 4 speed. It was a Belair 2 door hardtop, jet black with high back bucket seats in white tuck and roll. Didn't have an ounce of rust no where. Cherry! Man that car would fly!
Those were the days.

My Dad had the same Chev. He had it set up that from inside the car he could manually "disconnect" the headers when he was racing other cars. He had the fastest car in the county. At least according to him ....

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back in somewhere around 59 my dad bought a 57 Olds, 371 with the tri power (J2 motor). At the time the fastest car in town was a 59 Chevy with a 348. Not sure if it was a tri power or not.

One day my older brother got to take it to school. By noon there was a new car in town that was the king of the hill.
My dad did like the faster cars with his last one a 71 VIP with the 440 and 375 hp. At the time that was also king. In 50ths had Hudson and they quit making, then Desota which they quit making and finally Plymouth which in time were gone.
He did have a 49 Olds 98 convertible and not sure how that went back then, too young, my older brother did manage to wreck it and then lie so it was gone. db

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting to see who will post on this topic.
So much more enjoyable to read than topic on virus or Russia.
Yet to say which model was best back then as whatever one has today it is one of the best. db

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great looking American muscle!
Always thought the 60s firebirds were overlooked and a good buy, still are!
I had a #matching 69 SS camaro through my 20s, so many great memories in that car! 4 spd with a centerforce clutch made for allot of layin rubber in all 4 gears fun!
Then marriage and kids happened and priorities changed and like most I really regret selling that little car.
Told the wife i would by another 69 SS when the house was paid off. But now the market has went crazy with the big tv auctions really influencing the market. But maybe higher gas prices and interest rates will correct that.
If it doesn't I'm going to buy a challenger hellcat widebody or a ZL1 camaro, both look like allot of fun with 650-707 hp and a warranty!

Here was my 69, bought it when I was 21.20210307_092237.jpg20210708_153048.jpg

My brother asked me about 8 years ago to find him a new camaro with a big engine. I was like "oh like 50 others have around this area, buy something cool"
He said, well then find me something cool..so i did and he had it shipped here in about 2 weeks. Still a cool rare 67 rs/ss 396 convertible pro touring, super fun car.
20200516_130604.jpg

Hopefully ill find what I'm looking for this summer, i want to just go for cruises again on nice evenings and weekends with my better half.:;:thumbsup

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not impressed with my lack of ability to want to do this type of thing, as I would love an older GTO all done up and in my garage, but the work to do it, nope never going to happen. The cost to purchase one all done, nope that isn't in the johnr deck either.

A couple years ago I found out I had all of the desire and none of the skill. I bought a 70 Chevy c10. It already had a new 350, some interior work done, and new rockers and cab corners. I thought I could do some basic body work, brake and suspension upgrades, and some other tidbits and have fun. I found out I had no time, space, or skills and sold it. I took one hell of a bath on that one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 66
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26