Care of fish

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a few fillets in a vacuum bag, fold a half paper towel in half and put that at the top of the bag, so its between the fish and where the seal is made, vacuum it and the towel will absorb the juice, without allowing it to mess up the seal, or be sucked into the machine, works great, also as the fish thaws, the paper towel will help absorb the extra juices so its not so messy when you open the package.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a good "group buy" opportunity? I ordered bags by the case and probably have enough to last the rest of my life, I think I ended up paying about .15c each for decent bags, just the right size for a lb or two of fish.

Thumbs Up

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fillet, soak in cold water over night, pat dry, then vac pac in family sized portions. Quick, easy, and provides a very nice end product for the table.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I typically soak fish in 2/3 water 1/3 milk. Don't know it it makes it taste better but it sure seems like it to me.

And guy, my birthday is in November.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm probably just as picky as WW. No red meat, soak in mild SW overnight (firms the flesh--be careful, easy to get too salty), pat dry, immerse in Sprite for an hour or so before cooking (pat dry again) or freeze in the Sprite. If the freezer is the destination, pat dry again after thawing, dredge in flour dip in batter and send to the 375 degree oil. I highly recommend the Butterball Turkey Fryer. It's a great item for the kitchen; favorably complementing a busty female. I used to use Mt. Dew but it was a bit much in flavor. Sprite is "clean" IMHO. This is from a "Long John Silver's" guy sans all penis jokes from you cretins.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shock the fillets in ice water for 3 to 4 hours till the tails curl. That really firms that meat up.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guywhofishes, I have that exact same chamber vac and I will 100% back you up on everything you said. It's the ONLY way to go!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84