carrying a handgun while hunting pheasants

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the regulations on carrying a handgun while pheasant hunting. Cant seem to find anything on the G&F website and was wondering if any of you happen to know anything.

sparetire

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't "know" anything, but I remember when there was discussion over allowing a handgun to be carried while bowhunting. I could understand the concerns, because maybe someone would shoot a deer with one during bow season.
I can think of no good reason that a person shouldn't be allowed to carry a handgun while upland hunting, and perhaps that's why there's nothing to be found in the proclamation about it.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just open carry leave the chamber open and don't shoot pheasants with your sidearm. I carry mine a lot never had any issue while walking.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
It can be concealed if you are a CCW permit holder, part of the language the last legislative session changed the rules so as to allow ccw carry like normal even when actively hunting and if you have a ccw permit are no longer required to have gun unloaded in vehicle while actively hunting.

If not a ccw permit holder then yes one needs to open carry and it has to be unloaded and secured when in vehicle.

Last edited:

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question, why carry a handgun when you already have a shotgun? Just like the feel of it? Or to plink around, or what?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question, why carry a handgun when you already have a shotgun? Just like the feel of it? Or to plink around, or what?

Same reason I have 20 guns I don't shoot just because I can. And I like to shoot at yotes with it when the are running away

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do not have to open carry a handgun while you are in the field hunting even if you don't have a concealed carry permit. A firearm is not considered concealed while in the field hunting regardless of whether it's visible or not. Once you get to your vehicle that would be another story.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been carrying a handgun bow hunting since the mountain lion invasion. O and the tracks that I posted a couple of weeks ago are mountain lion. It was shot less then 50 yards from them not by me . That makes 3 in the last seven years that have been seen in that area. The 40 glock I carry is my security blanket.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t62-1c02.pdf?20150803121134

62.1-02-10
. Carrying loaded firearm in certain vehicles prohibited - Penalty - Exceptions. An individual may not keep or carry a loaded firearm in or on any motor vehicle, including an off-highway vehicle or snowmobile in this state. An individual violating this section is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to:
1. A member of the armed forces of the United States or national guard, organized reserves, state defense forces, or state guard organizations while possessing the firearm issued to the member by the organization and while on official duty.
2. A law enforcement officer.
3. An individual possessing a valid concealed weapons license from this state or who has reciprocity under section 62.1-04-03.1 with a handgun, or with a rifle or shotgun if not in the field hunting or trapping.
4. An individual in the field engaged in lawful hunting or trapping of nongame species or fur-bearing animals.
5. A security guard or private investigator properly licensed to carry firearms.
6. An individual possessing a valid special permit issued pursuant to section 20.1-02-05

62.1-02-10.1. Carrying a loaded firearm in vehicle while hunting - Penalty. An individual who is in the field engaged in the lawful hunting of big game or small game and who violates section 62.1-02-10 is not subject to a criminal penalty but is guilty of a class 2 noncriminal offense under chapter 20.1-01.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were ruler of the world, it would be bow/4-6in handgun season. I know handguns are legal during rifle but it's not usually a peaceful environment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88