Changing lawn mower oil filter ( epic fail)

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
ideally no, the original plan was to change everything. but had worse come to worse yeah to get my yard cut once before I go on vacation yeah. I guess I don't see the issue in cutting a yard one time with new oil, same filter, and changing the filter and oil again when I got back.

I can assure you people have done this before new oil, same filter and the world did not end, and the mower worked just fine.

Roger that! I was just a little concerned for you, but only for moment! Haha

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
You Guys Change Oil In Your mowers?

please dont make me tell you how long it has been since i did it last hahaha

the struggle with the oil filter was 100% my doing for not changing it enough. i saw that the oil was a little low, looked almost black so i fugured WTF instead of topping it off i did the whole change. she should be good for say.....oh ....3 years or so.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cheapo mower doesn't run a filter. And, the drain is right tight to the deck before it rises into a curve. Impossible to change without getting oil everywhere. F-ing engineers LOL!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You Guys Change Oil In Your mowers?

My grandfather is 95. Living in a retirement home in northern Minnesota. Let's the relatives know whenever he can how miserable he's been since he was convinced to leave his home on Lake McCormack of the last 50 years. After all, it was paid off! Now he's paying every month to be with other people he doesn't like.

How cheap is grandpa? He figured out it was better in the long run to buy the cheapest lawn mower he could find new, do no maintenance on it, and run it until it blew. I'll be darned if he didn't get 5-10 years out of everyone of those bastards. All he put in was gas in the summer and a splash of Sta-Bil in the winter.

I thought he was nuts, but if he got 10 years out of a $150 mower and never changed the oil, it cost him a whopping $15 a year to own that mower.

Grandpa isn't as crazy as I thought.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is my riding mower so a touch more than $150, i do have a push mower, $124 at sears on sale. i havent changed the oil in it yet. this is 6 years ago, runs fine!

- - - Updated - - -

i did change the spark plug, and "dusted the air filter" off onceThumbs Up

- - - Updated - - -

like you grandpa i run a little sta-bil through them in the fall and start with no issues every summer

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cheapo mower doesn't run a filter. And, the drain is right tight to the deck before it rises into a curve. Impossible to change without getting oil everywhere. F-ing engineers LOL!

Isn't there a drain underneath it by the blade somewhere? Some have it there too and some don't.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of you Nancys fussing about your lawn mowers mustn't fish. Lawn mowing is one of the primary reasons I procreated.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5