Concealed carry

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of picking up a concealed carry here in SD. I have numerous shotguns and rifles but just just one handgun. A .22 revolver. Can anyone give advise on what to look for in a cheapish concealed type gun? I don't have a great knowledge on handguns. What size caliber do you recommend? I see there are cheap ruger 380s. Are those ok? I doubt I'd carry often but would keep in pickup. Maybe carry on occasion and prob just plink around farm. Any advice is appreciated.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a Smith and Wesson Sheild in 9mm. And CARRY it. Isn't gonna do any good in your pickup.

- - - Updated - - -

...or a Glock 19.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a sig sauer P239. It's a 9mm. Wife has the identical gun in a 380. They are great conceal guns. Not much recoil. The light weight Ruger 380 I shot had quite a bit of recoil. The sigs are smooth as hell and never misfire. Awesome quality. I paid just under $600 for them.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I went into a gun club with my son and we rented several different pistols. We figured out pretty fast which ones we liked and disliked. It's a great way to get a good feel for one that fits. He bought a Sig Sauer 9mm and I'm looking to get a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. We had a great time trying out all different pistols. And like Sum says, carry it all the time.

Fish On!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my wife's ruger sr1911 9mm $700 I think... it's super light and commander sized... Springfield ESP 1911 is really nice too $900 range... both can be chambered in 40 s&w also... kimber has a couple guns in the $900 range also

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been carrying a Springfield xds 9 wife has a kimber micro carry w crimson in .380, like was mentioned many places will let you rent to try, then you can get what YOU like and what fits you best

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smith and Wesson Shield in 9MM is a great conceal carry pistol...they have a $75 rebate going now thru end of June....after applying the rebate and shopping around you can get them down to around $250 for a starting point. If you want to spend a little more the Sig Sauer P238 in .380 or the P938 in 9MM are both nice....you would be looking in the $650 to $850 range depending on model there. Personally I like the 9MM....ammo is very available and pretty inexpensive to shoot.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like what was said before. Get what fits you and you can shoot. I have a xdm subcompact in a 40 and the wife has a lc9. We both got the them because they fit us best.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
The S&W M&P's have had a lot of issues, not sure if they have fixed them or not but Look into them first before buying one.

This is what I like best of all. S&W 686 plus 357. seven shot revolver. shoots like a dream, accurate as heck and fits my hand perfectly.

164192_01_lg.jpg

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. The best handgun is the one you have with you when you need it. If it's a pain in the ass to carry, you'll only leave it at home where it won't do you any good.
2. Don't buy a gun you hate to shoot. If you hate shooting it, you'll hate practicing, which will contribute to your not practicing. (snubnose revolvers come to mind.)
3. Buy a gun that will go bang when you need it to go bang. Otherwise you will have gone to a lot of trouble and money to be just as dead as you were before the gun.
4. Buy a Glock ;-)

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have quite a few in different makers, calibers, and pistols and wheel guns. I prefer 40 caliber myself but we also have 9 mm and 22 for plinking.
Definitely go and try them for size and try and shoot a few you like as some will ''bite'' you if you aren't careful where you have your hand or if your hand is too big for the gun. Size is everything like others have said if it doesn't fit you, you won't shoot it.
We have Smith's, Ruger's, Sig's, and a couple different German made ones. All shoot well but there are some you will like better than others.
9 mm's are cheap shooters as far as ammo but like i said my preference is 40.
We keep one in every vehicle, camper, trike, and SXS. Carry too as you never know when you might need it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Glock 19 and the wife a Glock 43. Buy what fits. I would not buy real cheep, whats your life worth?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smith and Wesson Shield in 9MM is a great conceal carry pistol...they have a $75 rebate going now thru end of June....after applying the rebate and shopping around you can get them down to around $250 for a starting point. If you want to spend a little more the Sig Sauer P238 in .380 or the P938 in 9MM are both nice....you would be looking in the $650 to $850 range depending on model there. Personally I like the 9MM....ammo is very available and pretty inexpensive to shoot.

This is a great deal. Cabelas has it in 9MM and .40. They do make the gun now in .45, but not on sale. $250 to $300 for this gun is a very good deal.

G19 is always a great gun. No frills, just goes bang every single time - no matter what.

Springfield XD Mod.2, in 9MM is a great gun too. Short, but still shoots well... If I was to do this gun over again, I'd go with the XDS in single stack. Narrower and lighter. Less capacity of course, but narrower and lighter.

One more thing. 9MM is cheap ammo. Cheap equals practice. Practice is good. I have two 9's and a .45, and don't shoot the .45 much as it's expensive.. Plus big and heavy, so don't carry it.

Last edited:

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carry a Kimber crimson ultra carry pro in a .45. It fits me well and I shoot it well. A good conceal holster makes it unnoticeable for everyday carry. Buy what you like to shoot and fits you. shoot as many as you can - rent or shoot with friends. You will carry what you like best.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glock 43 (9mm) with good quality ammo. Small frame is easy to conceal but still comfortable to shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

I like my wife's ruger sr1911 9mm $700 I think... it's super light and commander sized... Springfield ESP 1911 is really nice too $900 range... both can be chambered in 40 s&w also... kimber has a couple guns in the $900 range also

Ruger makes the 1911 in 9mm now? do you know if they make it in the full size or just the commander? I have the ruger in .45 and I have been wanting a full size in 9mm but my options are limited. Have been leaning towards a kimber two-tone custom 2.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies. I will check into all the different ones you all mentioned. Problem is I live in Webster, SD...small town. No where to shoot. Local bait shop sells a few handguns but only conceal style are the 380s. I kinda like them but I'm a big guy and they seem pretty small for my hand. Dumb question but what do I look for in a fit with a handgun?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies. I will check into all the different ones you all mentioned. Problem is I live in Webster, SD...small town. No where to shoot. Local bait shop sells a few handguns but only conceal style are the 380s. I kinda like them but I'm a big guy and they seem pretty small for my hand. Dumb question but what do I look for in a fit with a handgun?

drive to watertown or aberdeen and check them out and hold them. You live in webster where you can set a target up in the country and do all the practice you want.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
drive to watertown or aberdeen and check them out and hold them. You live in webster where you can set a target up in the country and do all the practice you want.

yes i understand that but was talking about shooting before I buy. As someone mentioned renting or trying out. I think I will at least go to either place and at least hold some different ones.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
drive to fargo its not that far away they have to have an out door range. I bet the guys at brotherhood arms in watertown right by Dougs anchor marine would find a way to get so you could shoot some there is a range right out of watertown

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 145
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 51