Considering New Trolling Motor

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thinking about replacing the Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 42pd that my boat came with. I've obviously got a 12v system with one battery, not sure if my storage compartment could squeeze 2 deep cycles in that area to support a larger motor? So looking at the Terrova iPilot model w the foot pedal as well....55pd. Also looking at the Motorguide Xi5 equivalent 12v. Any input regarding these 2 models as replacement options is greatly appreciated. I've read the updated Spot Lock function on the Minn Kota is better now? My boat is a 16 foot deep V...so I've gotten by with the small 42pd motor but want more. Thanks gents...

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure you don't want the 80lb? 55 is ok but I often think when it comes to trolling motors the more power the better. Especially using that spot lock in rougher waters. I know guys that pull plugs with their trolling motors. I steer with mine but others use it by itself for power and steering.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Would like to have the 80lb but not sure I can squeeze 2 batteries in my storage compartment...barely fits in the 1 deep cycle I have in there now!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a way to put a 2nd batt in!! There is no such thing as "too much bowmount".

I have had the old and new generation Terrova. The new generation is a game changer. The spot lock just plain sticks. I used it more than my Talon for shallow anchoring and locks me in whether flat calm or 2-3 footers. I have heard great things about the Xi5; but have never had a reason to leave Minnkota.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee-2621-21_3.jpg
;:;popcorn ;:;rofl

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 55lb Terrova on a 16 foot alumacraft classic, which is not what I would consider a deep V. It's enough but windy days are a challenge to stay in a spot or to move upwind. An 80 definitely wouldn't hurt and the price bump (1500 vs. 1750) isn't huge, especially considering it'll last you a long time . I know some like the foot pedal but I never use mine so I'd look at the powerdrive 70 as those can be had for around 1300 if you're looking to save a little money.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^My boat weighs about 1500 pds dry so upgrading to the 55pd for me would be nice...along with having the iPilot remote and spot lock function. I may look into options with regards to having 2 smaller 12v batteries that would fit into that compartment but I know you want the amps high enough to support a trolling motor for 6-8 hours on the water.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is 55 lb the biggest 12V out there now? I once had a 62, and a 65 lb series of 12V Minnkotas and they were decent on a 16 ft Smokercraft. Of course, if you were giving her the onion the whole time you were on the water you had only about 6-8 hrs of use before the battery would die.

One thing is for sure, you will like the IPilot. It's been a great remote controlled way to float. The one complaint I have is in using the remote on my Toon. It's easy to block the signal over a 15 ft distance, anyone in-between you and the powerhead and it can get frustrating.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks Allen...yea believe the 55pd is the largest 12v for the Terrova. Still want the foot pedal as well because I spend so much time up on the bow. Maybe that would change if I had a remote, but really enjoy sitting up there for control and observation! Plus sitting up on the bow I can't really hear the complaints coming from passengers if they don't like where I'm heading!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also like to sit in front, but I still like to use the remote. For me I can steer from any position or whichever way I'm sitting. Just easier for me All the controls right at my fingertips. Not that I'm an expert on boat control but do find the remote very easy to use.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go bigger if you can, will help more on windy days. Run time will also be better on the 24v system. If you don't want an arm and leg for the one you have now, I may be interested for a boat I am setting up for my son to use.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Allen...yea believe the 55pd is the largest 12v for the Terrova. Still want the foot pedal as well because I spend so much time up on the bow. Maybe that would change if I had a remote, but really enjoy sitting up there for control and observation! Plus sitting up on the bow I can't really hear the complaints coming from passengers if they don't like where I'm heading!

Heh heh, I too sit in front...and let the kids/girlfriend suffer with each other in the crowded main cabin. And yep, like retiredsmartguy, I still use the remote when in the bow. Partly because in my Fisherman, if I fall out of the damn thing I can hit spot lock and not have to chase the damn boat. Pretty sure I can't swim 2.8 mph.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go bigger if you can, will help more on windy days. Run time will also be better on the 24v system. If you don't want an arm and leg for the one you have now, I may be interested for a boat I am setting up for my son to use.

All4...if I pull the trigger on a new motor will let you know. The current motor came with the boat new in 2016...has 2 seasons on it...no issues. 42 pd PowerDrive.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok...so continuing my research...the Motorguide Xi5 has a ducer in the unit? Anyone have one of these models? Just curious as to how well they work...compatibility...etc...thanks gents!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get the XI5 again paired with Lowrance. No complaints from this one.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^Thanks fish...will continue looking at all the options...appreciate the input!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get the trolling motor that is the same brand as your other electronics. If your using garmin etc - then i think its a toss up - i have owned them both over the years; the one that lasted the longest for me was motor guide. My brother has had several problems with his minn kota terrova - he has exchanged 2 of them and is on his third and he doesnt put no where near the hours i put on mine (i dont have a kicker).

I have had no issues with the terrova that i have currrently. It does have inference with electronics on the bow. I worked on that over and over and finally solved it. I bring it in during the winter and i use 29s for batteries and i keep em nice and fresh and charged. My spot lock works fine too and i am sure mine was one of the first generation models.

2 Batteries - when i had a 16footer - i put a batter over in a side box and ran the wire up. Just make sure you have thick enough wire - review the amps used and length of cord and do the computation to make sure it is adequate. I would strongly advise you get a 24vlt system as you will be so much more happy with how long your battery lasts and to have that additional power.

Good fishing short

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^Thanks for the input Short...discovered both the Terrova and Xi5 come with a GPS ducer internally...believe they are only capable of the 83/200khz for sonar. For me that will work because I run a Lowrance Elite 5 on the bow...so either unit I believe will be compatible. As of right now kinda leaning toward the Xi5 but not in any rush to make a decision...got 3 months until open water right!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
^Thanks for the input Short...discovered both the Terrova and Xi5 come with a GPS ducer internally...believe they are only capable of the 83/200khz for sonar. For me that will work because I run a Lowrance Elite 5 on the bow...so either unit I believe will be compatible. As of right now kinda leaning toward the Xi5 but not in any rush to make a decision...got 3 months until open water right!

Tailrace my friend. A few years ago I started fishing it in the end of December until the middle of March, then work got in the way. I was down there 28 times in that short span. As long as it doesn't go below 0 for a week you can still get a boat in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88