Crane hunting?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How difficult is crane hunting? I've always wanted to bag one but have never attempted it.

I don't live in the crane flyway - so I'd need to get on birds in just a day or two because it would involve on overnight or two trip out west.

What's the general approach/technique?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How difficult is crane hunting? I've always wanted to bag one but have never attempted it.

I don't live in the crane flyway - so I'd need to get on birds in just a day or two because it would involve on overnight or two trip out west.

What's the general approach/technique?
They are the smartest birds of them i have found. You better have your hide better than you think it needs to be. You dont need that many decoys but being in the right spot is key and even at that they like switch for no apparent reason. I have never tried to pass shoot them but thats probably the easiest way

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are the smartest birds of them i have found. You better have your hide better than you think it needs to be. You dont need that many decoys but being in the right spot is key and even at that they like switch for no apparent reason. I have never tried to pass shoot them but thats probably the easiest way
Well :poop:! That sounds more difficult than I had hoped. Ha ha.

What's minimum decoys one can get away with?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know people who have been successful with as little as a couple dozen homemade silhouettes.

I've never shot or eaten crane, but friends call them the ribeye of the sky. Whatever that means.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to shoot loads of them at Long Lake South of Sterling. We would normally sit along the refuge on the South side of the lake and pass shoot them.
They'll come into goose decoys if you set up by a slough and hide really well in the slough, could never get them in range while laying in the decoys, they can see extremely well.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Small cannon to get them out of the sky..make sure it's steel ball though. They are one tough bird!

Pheasant 54

★★★★ Legendary Member
Trust me back in the day 3 inch 4 buck worked wonders . The problem was they would split open when they hit

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used to hunt them south of Horsehead. Six decoys, windsock snow goose spray painted grey and rust on a 3' long dowel, head and neck silhouette cut from plywood. Easy to carry and set up. Scout the night before as close to last light as possible. Place the decoys exactly where the birds were feeding, you'll see the crap and feathers. Two groups of 3. If you have some canada goose decoys set them another 100 yds up wind. Hide 50 yds or so downwind in a rockpile. This is important...the cranes will sound like they are right on top of you when they are still too far out. Wait for it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 372
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 128
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 58