Cranks

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm somewhat new to cranking. What are some tips? Where can a guy get good deals on these spendy lures? What are your favorite cranks? etc ...

Thanks

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
flicker shads before they go up in price again. Used to be a no-brainer but now they're close to the same price as a shad rap.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, I like to use #7's for trolling. I'm cheap and that's the only lure that's free on the precision trolling data app. I like 6's and 5's for pitching. Another great lure would be reef runners. Little rippers (700's) and deep little rippers are both great. Deep little rippers allow you to get down to fish without having to use lead core.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reef runner rip shads work great also, and you get to learn how to tune cranks when they don't run straight.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tim S is a crankbaits guy, someone get him over here, we will all be better off

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another tip, Vollmer. Set up a separate bank account right now. Start funneling money into it that your wife doesn't account for.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that like reef runners, I've been running the cabelas version of those the last few years and I like them a lot better. They're tuned quite well from the box and I can honestly say they work very well in terms of catching. Plus they get really reasonable when they're on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as my favorites go, I like flicker shads, shad raps, those Cabelas walleye runners, hornets and jointed shad raps.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For casting cranks on the Sheyenne, I go with husky jerks, shallow shad raps, and original rapalas. Blue silver and firetiger are usually my starting points for colors. Most everything else dives to deep for where I fish.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
For casting cranks on the Sheyenne, I go with husky jerks, shallow shad raps, and original rapalas. Blue silver and firetiger are usually my starting points for colors. Most everything else dives to deep for where I fish.

those are my favorite for casting as well. I usually put a split shot a foot up when using original floaters. gets it down a little bit and if there's muck in the river, it tends to hang up on the split shot.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that like reef runners, I've been running the cabelas version of those the last few years and I like them a lot better. They're tuned quite well from the box and I can honestly say they work very well in terms of catching. Plus they get really reasonable when they're on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as my favorites go, I like flicker shads, shad raps, those Cabelas walleye runners, hornets and jointed shad raps.
whats the dive curve on the cabelas compared to reef runners

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are just starting with cranks I would recommend picking a lure and size (say a flicker shad #7) get the dive curve and start pulling them on a flat. The dive curves are good, but may not be as close as you would like. Run them at different depths and write it down on the box you will store them in. Or just get the dive chart and tape it to the box. As you get comfortable with them you can add as many different ones you want. Each crank has its own action, wobble, depth.

Also to increase the learning curve timeline, I would recommend big water trolling book by Ross Robertson. It covers cranking (lead,mono,braid,snaps,boards,dipseys, and tadpoles) It also explains the inline weights for spinners and all points in between. Its a good read with great pics and a few stories from well accomplished anglers.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

If you are just starting with cranks I would recommend picking a lure and size (say a flicker shad #7) get the dive curve and start pulling them on a flat. The dive curves are good, but may not be as close as you would like. Run them at different depths and write it down on the box you will store them in. Or just get the dive chart and tape it to the box. As you get comfortable with them you can add as many different ones you want. Each crank has its own action, wobble, depth.

Also to increase the learning curve timeline, I would recommend big water trolling book by Ross Robertson. It covers cranking (lead,mono,braid,snaps,boards,dipseys, and tadpoles) It also explains the inline weights for spinners and all points in between. Its a good read with great pics and a few stories from well accomplished anglers.

Good luck!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Burn 10 $100 bills, vow to never buy a crank and consider yourself 10x ahead.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power man said it !!

Ross Robertsons book is a great tool and I have been very fortunate to fish with some crankers...

you will learn fast actually doing it...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74