Custom Built Fish House

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone build their own house? I'm in the early planning stages yet. Just looking for ideas, tips, tricks, pictures, ect. Still debating a few major factors, buy frame only, or go with a shell and just finish the interior and size (6.5 x 14 w/ V or 8 x 16 w/ V). Would appreciate any and all info you guys have.

Also as far as frames/shells go anyone have any good suggestions? As far as I've seen it looks like Miltona Blacksmith near Alexandra is the go to for a frame.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
My uncle just built one. Nicest fish house ive ever seen. I'll have to get some pics. He built the entire thing from the ground up.

I've been trying to talk him into doing it as a business. Custom Ice Houses. He is one of those guys that does everything really well.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
We built one three years ago. Frame came from miltona blacksmith in Minnesota. We built out with 2x4's and sheeted it in corrugated steel siding. Still holding up strong but there are things id change. First of all, spray foam it. Don't consider other options. Just work it into the budget. I have some pictures I can post later.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'll 2nd that. Spray foam is the ticked. Great insulation plus it adds rigidity to the structure.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will be spray foaming for sure. Already in the budget. Steel vs Alum siding is still up in the air as well.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Steel vs aluminum comes down to budget imo. Both will do the job, but i think aluminum looks better, and the weight factor is nice.

fishin_4_eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built one last year. I bought a Miltona frame. I used 2x3 for studs,spray foamed including bottom, forced air furnace, camper oven/ stove, all LED lights inside and out, 12v and 120 circuit panel, I used aluminum sheeting, and a one piece rubber roof. I really enjoyed the build. I figured that I saved at least 9000 in building it myself. I only put six holes in it, because I wanted all the holes to be useable. I never thought that holes under that table etc where useable. They were more for look it has 8 holes, but some are not useable. I built it so I could spend the night more, and I ended up spending the night almost every weekend. My oldest's is now addicted to ice fishing.

Attachments

10665670_10204503763331663_1818263006753994796_n.jpg

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great looking house. Couple questions for you.

What size frame did you get?
Where did you get the alum siding?
What type of flooring is that and how does it handle the slush/ice?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice house fishin4eyes! I like the pine and I'm guessing that's linoleum? Would make for easy clean up. We are in the process of detailing what we like and don't like about the house we built. I pushed hard for spray foam but was over ruled.
IMG_1397.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg
Here's ours. I spend as many nights in it as I can.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built one last year. I bought a Miltona frame. I used 2x3 for studs,spray foamed including bottom, forced air furnace, camper oven/ stove, all LED lights inside and out, 12v and 120 circuit panel, I used aluminum sheeting, and a one piece rubber roof. I really enjoyed the build. I figured that I saved at least 9000 in building it myself. I only put six holes in it, because I wanted all the holes to be useable. I never thought that holes under that table etc where useable. They were more for look it has 8 holes, but some are not useable. I built it so I could spend the night more, and I ended up spending the night almost every weekend. My oldest's is now addicted to ice fishing.
I really like how you added on a garage out the front door of the ice house, that's good thinking right there.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice house fishin4eyes! I like the pine and I'm guessing that's linoleum? Would make for easy clean up. We are in the process of detailing what we like and don't like about the house we built. I pushed hard for spray foam but was over ruled.
image.jpg
11825905_1166482900033595_5309189890153554558_n.jpg
1.jpg
Here's ours. I spend as many nights in it as I can.

DirtyMike, Looks like you have a solar panel too? Does it seem to help much? Ive read a little about them and I've gotten mixed reviews.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we no longer have to take batteries home to charge them. My father in law runs the generator most of the time but I like to go into stealth mode as soon as the sun starts to set. As far as hooking it up, I'm not the one to ask. Father in law is an electrician.

fishin_4_eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great looking house. Couple questions for you.

What size frame did you get?
Where did you get the alum siding?
What type of flooring is that and how does it handle the slush/ice?

The frame is a 14' from Miltona. Its a 14' X 7' with a 3.5' V front of the actual frame. End of fender to end of fender is 9' wide. I got it lic and was told that as long as it is under 10" the state of ND really don't care to much. The V front actually give it a lot of room. Its where the door and bathroom are located. I got the Alum siding from a metal place in Minot. The have different colors, but white was the biggest and cheapest they had. 5X10 sheets I think. The metal place is Gerdau. They also cut the metal and broke it from my measurements. The floor is treated 3/4" plywood that is scary foam on the bottom side. It seems to handle the slush alright on time will tell with that one.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like how you added on a garage out the front door of the ice house, that's good thinking right there.

I was lucky enough to have my father in-laws garage to build it. It made it nice when it was cold outside. Turned on the diesel heater and started working. One thing that I made sure to do is measure the garage door 12 times and measure the fish house lifted up. I had two inches to spare. Its one of the times that the dang tape measure didn't lie to me..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76