Cutting the cord

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone out there cut the cord from cable or satellite?

we have made the decision to do this and go with Netflix and Amazon for our content.

my question is what anyone has tried to get the over the air stuff. I know you can get individual HD Antennas for each tv. I was wondering how easy it is to hang an outside antenna and tie into the existing cable run through the house.

thanks!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
diy hd antenna

build one of these... you can make a bigger one and hang it on the outside of the house and just run cable splitters to each television... I use one in my house and camper they work great... total cost is about $4 and 20 min of time

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
run a big outdoor antenna into a coax with a booster. then find the coax that comes into your house from the cable or satellite and gets split to TVs around your house.

disconnect the POS cable TV company's coax and hook your antenna coax into the splitter or whatever you have and now your house is now networked with digital TV signal from your antenna instead of cable

all your TVs obviously need to be digital signal capable and you'll have to use their menu driven software to have them scan for air channels rather than cable channels

I like smart TVs for accessing Netflix, Amazon, etc but some people like a dumb TV and using a Roku to deliver streaming to their "giant monitor" (dumb TV)

- - - Updated - - -

ps Cable and Satellite can suck it

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have been doing this for years now. Amazing how much the kids want to go and play instead of sitting in front of the booby tube. I just bought a HD antenna and mounted it in my attic and did like guywhofishes described. Works great.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
run a big outdoor antenna into a coax with a booster. then find the coax that comes into your house from the cable or satellite and gets split to TVs around your house.

disconnect the POS cable TV company's coax and hook your antenna coax into the splitter or whatever you have and now your house is now networked with digital TV signal from your antenna instead of cable

all your TVs obviously need to be digital signal capable and you'll have to use their menu driven software to have them scan for air channels rather than cable channels

I like smart TVs for accessing Netflix, Amazon, etc but some people like a dumb TV and using a Roku to deliver streaming to their "giant monitor" (dumb TV)

- - - Updated - - -

ps Cable and Satellite can suck it

Exactly. Not all that hard to do.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently bought Amazon Fire Stick and downloaded Kodi. Pretty cool but ethically questionable.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
we just ditched cable a little while back. my wife ordered hd antenna thingys for each of our tvs. weve had netflix and amazon for a few years and most of our time watching tv was over netflix and local channels so we wondered what the hell we were paying cable for. we get most of the same channels as basic cable minus qvc and a few other garbage channels. we now get bek sports so can pick up local sports. do miss espn and espn 3 occasionally but its alot easier to get things done around the house. i dont miss cable at all and i really dont miss getting bent over every month when you get the bill. if you dont watch alot of tv this is the route to go.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep thinking about it, but not sure I could do without my sports.

That's the biggest reason to keep cable and maybe cable news bs also but that's going to be a thing of the past very soon to I think.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had cut the cord until broadcasts went digital and signal strength decreased. antennas quit working so went back to Direct tv . Now we can watch local news live online so ready to cut it again.
Question, I don't know the capabilities of a smart TVs , that might be my best option but I used to hardwire a laptop to TVs and that worked good, Is there a way to send live feeds and vids to TV VIA laptop , wireless ? Or does laptop have to be hard wired to tv ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't stayed in the loop with electronics , Is using a laptop for a driver just as good as the other devices or is there something way better ?

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dropped cable around 5 years ago and haven't looked back. With a hd antenna,chromecast, and a roku you can be setup pretty good. HD antenna for local channels and Roku has almost all the sport streaming apps you could want and with netflix and amazon there are plenty of tv series and movies to watch. Sling TV is ok but a little overpriced imo but it's nice if you have family that like the convenience of something similar to regular cable. If you have a chromecast with a pc/laptop and a little more initiative there are alternative ways to stream any major sport (nba/nfl/nhl/mlb/ufc) in hd to your tv with just a simple search on reddit ;)

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are on our way to cutting the cord. Chaps my ass to pay for all these channels when we only watch about 5 of them. I need my sports too. MLB and NHL. Used to buy NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, MLB.TV and NHL.TV packages. Ran me about $600/year for all that. Bought a Roku a few months back and just went with the online packages and watch through the Roku. Only costs me about $225 now and the picture is better than cable and every game is in HD.

I would be completely fine with an HD antenna and steaming TV...the wife is the issue. Even though she DVRs everyone of her shows to watch later (which could be replaced by Hulu and Netflix) she insists on having cable for Fox news and the times she wants to watch her shows live.

Cable and dish providers and feeling the heat. I think the days of live streaming through the network apps on a Roku or Fire Stick are closer than we think.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't for the life of me figure out why TV makers can't come up with a smart TV that allows a guy to add apps for streaming like you can with a Roku.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Can a guy get TBS, TNT, and all the main ESPN's with SlingTV?

I cut the cord about 5 years ago. Finally broke down and went with SlingTV this past fall. Two different packages. One package includes the ESPN channels. Good value and you can cancel anytime. I recommend this route.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of free shows online every show that's on hulu,netflix,Amazon prime,showtime,hbo,nbc,ABC, cbs,fox (fx), history channel, nbc,cbc,ctv,starz all the NFL games. All free online all the time someday the entertainment sports will figure out how to stop the free online sites from streaming the newest shows but until then been 3 years with out cable tv, just a computer, internet,hdmi cable,and a samsung smart tv.
Ps cable and satellite suck
Pss even AT&T is trying to save direct tv by allowing them to stream online for free with a bundle package. The end

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88