Cutting the cord

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm amazed with my new directional TV antenna, I was hoping to get 2 channels but thought I'd be rotating to get each one. I set it up right in the living room for a trial run and within 5 minutes of tuning I was getting 27 channels all of them with the antenna stationary. The last antenna I tried I was dinking around to get the antenna rotation just right for both channels.

I might even get a couple Canadian channels once I mount it up in the attic or on top of the house. The only fear I have is that once the trees leaf out and everything is green and lush that it will start acting like the old one, It was June when I was trying to get that antenna to work. If your shopping I wouldn't be afraid to try one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAYOWXM/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Correction: 17 channels not 27

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut the cord almost 4 years ago. I use a Roku streaming and really like it. I have Hulu and Amazon Prime. I usually get Netflix for a few months after House of Cards comes out. I did sling for a few months and that was OK. There is also PlayStation Vue.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting closer and closer to doing this. I can use my phone as a hot spot as well. The only thing I'd miss is football and baseball.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could cut the cord, but my wife on the other hand would go bat shit crazy which in turn would make me go bat shit crazy. Getting really tired of dropping close to 2 hundo to MIDCO every month, that is a bit much for entertainment.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could cut the cord, but my wife on the other hand would go bat shit crazy which in turn would make me go bat shit crazy. Getting really tired of dropping close to 2 hundo to MIDCO every month, that is a bit much for entertainment.
The unfortunate part is, most of the time it's just background noise.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We haven't had cable/dish in over five years. My wife and I both came to the realization that we were basically watching local channels anyway, or else the TV was on for background noise only. Our schedules are so busy that I can count on one hand the number of times I've been able to actually sit down and watch TV this week, let alone this month.

I tried buying one of those digital antennas that you can get from any retail store, but they only picked up a few channels and I had a hard time calibrating them. So we found a local crew that installs them on the roof, and we have crystal clear channels and get ALL of them. I have two kids under 4, so PBS is on a LOT. Then we might catch the evening news or Wheel of Fortune. Then we bought Amazon Prime knowing we'd utilize the free shipping enough to make it worthwhile, and we have Netflix just for more movie options. We have those and internet and are still spending way less per month than what cable was costing us.

I'll never have cable again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm getting closer and closer to doing this. I can use my phone as a hot spot as well. The only thing I'd miss is football and baseball.

There are options for sports now that are similar to Netflix/Amazon. Way cheaper than monthly cable bills. I'm not a sports guy so I can't tell you what they are off the bat. But my brother in law was telling me about them and it sounds pretty darn convenient.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Sling covers the tnt, tbs, espn's, red zone, nfl channel, and others for $25/month.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to have Sling but switched to PlayStation Vue which has around 44 channels. Has the NBC channels which is great for hockey especially when the playoffs come around and has most of the channels the wife likes (HGTV, Food, DIY, Travel....).

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I cut the cord from DirecTV about a month ago. Had dish prior to that but $150/month was absolutely stupid for me to pay for all these years. I subscribe to Hulu & Netflix.

I also have a box to run KODI as mentioned above. Homeslice, you ever have any buffering issues? I can watch movies fine, but TV shows & live TV seems to buffer to the point of no return....

Even with some minor KODI issues i'll never go back to paying so much for TV again. I'd rather read a book or stare at a wall.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd drop it in a New York minute but the wife is addicted to NFL Sunday Ticket. Burns to give them any money but happy wife, happy life. She don't bitch when I go fishing so I guess its a push.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It makes you untrackable. Basically removes the risk. Most likely, if caught, they are going to tell you to knock it off, and you will have to throw your Kodi in the garbage. I have not heard of anyone being prosecuted.

Need a Gen2 FireStick to put a VPN on. Gen1 can't do it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
We dumped directtv a year or two ago. With the sunday ticket I was paying $260 a month sometimes. I have a cheap antenna hooked up to the tv which we use 90% of the time. Amazon prime and Netflix watched often as well. For football I have a program called adfree time. It spoofs my IP so ut looks like im in other countries. This gets me much more content on Netflix but it also allows me to buy the NFL and watch all games live for alot less. ($100). For sprts I downloaded the the apps for the sports channels and used my Grandmas Midco password.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We pay around $110 or something close to that for our cable and internet, package deal. I am not sure on how to get internet without my cable company supplying it.

mrs johnr is the bill payer, so whatever she decides is how it goes down.

I would guess we watch about 4 hours of TV a week, mostly the locals, and rarely net flicks. surprisingly we have 5 tvs too. :;:huh

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've got 2 gen 2 firesticks. maybe it has a VPN. but, i am not aware of it. any clue how to check and or set it up?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to have Sling but switched to PlayStation Vue which has around 44 channels. Has the NBC channels which is great for hockey especially when the playoffs come around and has most of the channels the wife likes (HGTV, Food, DIY, Travel....).

I heard this is pretty slick. Any downside to report?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88