CWD unit 3a1

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First and foremost, this sucks!

For those that have been dealing with this in 3F2, I have a few questions about how this affects the deer harvest from folks outside of the unit? Reading through the CWD proclamation it appears you cann't transport the head or spine but you can transport quarters, meat, finished taxidermy pieces ect. So if one lives outside of that unit, how do you handle your harvest? If you cann't transport the head how do provided identification for the meat when transporting it back to your home? Its pretty specific that the carcass tag is only from meat being transported from your home to a processor, not from the field to your home. I actually know someone that was fined for this very thing. They had quartered and de-boned their deer at the farm, had a 5 gallon bucket with the meat along with their carcus tag, ran into a game check assuming no big deal and got fined for not having the head for species/sex identification and the fact they were not transporting the meat from their home to the processor.

We hunt 3A1 and this year even though we quartered our animals in the field, each was seperated into a different cooler and the heads were kept for identification. If we cann't transport the heads out of the unit it seems as though it almost forces you to have your deer processed in that unit?

I'd like to get some input on this.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont understand why ND doesnt allow you to keep sex organs attached for identification. They are going to have to now, with all of this CWD rules coming into play. All the other states have a system to leave heads in the field, with proof of sex attached to quarters.
The carcass tag would be fine, but not if its only for taking to processor. Advisory meetings topic?

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Contact the game and fish because only their answer is the correct one. They wrote and enforce the law.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
First and foremost, this sucks!

For those that have been dealing with this in 3F2, I have a few questions about how this affects the deer harvest from folks outside of the unit? Reading through the CWD proclamation it appears you cann't transport the head or spine but you can transport quarters, meat, finished taxidermy pieces ect. So if one lives outside of that unit, how do you handle your harvest? If you cann't transport the head how do provided identification for the meat when transporting it back to your home? Its pretty specific that the carcass tag is only from meat being transported from your home to a processor, not from the field to your home. I actually know someone that was fined for this very thing. They had quartered and de-boned their deer at the farm, had a 5 gallon bucket with the meat along with their carcus tag, ran into a game check assuming no big deal and got fined for not having the head for species/sex identification and the fact they were not transporting the meat from their home to the processor.

We hunt 3A1 and this year even though we quartered our animals in the field, each was seperated into a different cooler and the heads were kept for identification. If we cann't transport the heads out of the unit it seems as though it almost forces you to have your deer processed in that unit?

I'd like to get some input on this.

What could become a real downside is..... What if a CWD positive goes through a processors shop?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What could become a real downside is..... What if a CWD positive goes through a processors shop?
Odds are they already have. Either from 3f2 or any deer or elk coming in from any of the many places with it alread. As for transporting the deer it's pretty clear you can take the meat you can't take the head and so they can't bitch about it it's their rules not yours! At least in 3A1 you could theoretically still get a Euro Mount done whereas with 3F2 you have to find a taxidermist in the unit which is pretty much good luck on that one and it's serious pain in the ass! And needless to say technically makes it illegal to do yourself unless you do it in the unit while you're there.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont understand why ND doesnt allow you to keep sex organs attached for identification. They are going to have to now, with all of this CWD rules coming into play. All the other states have a system to leave heads in the field, with proof of sex attached to quarters.
The carcass tag would be fine, but not if its only for taking to processor. Advisory meetings topic?

are they going to change the tags to be male or female now instead of antlered or antlerless?

the following are legal kills/tagging but the sex organs wouldn't match what we think are antlered or antlerless....

1: a 2" spike buck shot thinking it was an antler less deer
2: the rare case of a doe with antlers shot because it had antlers for an antlered tag
3: buck without antlers shot for an antler less tag
4: A button buck shot for an antler less tag

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna be a very comprehensive cwd prevention program now. Good thing legislation is about to start up

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gonna be a very comprehensive cwd prevention program now. Good thing legislation is about to start up

Please don't suggest the legislature will handle this to the benefit of the sportsman of ND. I prefer they stay completely out of the G&F business even when I don't agree with some G&F rules.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
are they going to change the tags to be male or female now instead of antlered or antlerless?

the following are legal kills/tagging but the sex organs wouldn't match what we think are antlered or antlerless....

1: a 2" spike buck shot thinking it was an antler less deer
2: the rare case of a doe with antlers shot because it had antlers for an antlered tag
3: buck without antlers shot for an antler less tag
4: A button buck shot for an antler less tag
If you shoot a 2in spike and put a doe tag on it you're almost always going to get busted these days. Maybe back in the day when everybody did deer drives and was trying to shoot a deer that were running you might get away with it but now there is almost no shot of it!

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please don't suggest the legislature will handle this to the benefit of the sportsman of ND. I prefer they stay completely out of the G&F business even when I don't agree with some G&F rules.
that would be great but you can bet it won’t happen

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quite frankly I almost have more trust the legislature at this point then in the game and fish with some of the stunts they pulled!
There is that lol. In all reality, for the number of tags issued in 3A1 they could just as well close it to all hunting till they get this cwd figured out lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28