More CWD NE ND

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The recent finding of chronic wasting disease near Winkler, Manitoba, in the southern part of the province puts the fatal disease to deer, elk and moose that much closer to northeast North Dakota.

It also is likely to mean baiting restrictions in some northeast North Dakota deer hunting units. Winkler is about 20 miles north of Walhalla, North Dakota.

According to a story published Wednesday, Jan. 24, on the discoverwestman.com website, a whitetail doe tested positive for CWD near Winkler after a hunter submitted a tissue sample for testing.

OUCH!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up in 2D south of Walhalla about 12 miles. Hunted deer there a lot from1962 till 1980. Back then there never seemed to be much if any baiting going on. Now I don't know. I do know that good hunting land is being sold for big money.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given the patients history of consuming CWD-infected deer meat, the authors suggest "a possible novel animal-to-human transmission of CWD."

This article is stretching to say that eating deer caused the guys death

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since CJD affects about 500 people a year in the United States, what are the odds that two friends would randomly develop CJD?

I am going to guess it's not zero, but I am also going to surmise the chances of two friends randomly developing CJD are not very high. Remember, we have something just over 333,000,000 people in the country.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trying to figure out why it was written without facts proving the transmission. Isn't that how science is supposed to be proven, with facts not assumptions?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am not sure there would be a way to prove a direct causal link as i don't believe there is any way to show the prions in humans got that way as a result of similar prions in surrounding cervids. odd are pretty slim this was a random occurrence like alan said. but, someone wins the lottery every few weeks so...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since CJD affects about 500 people a year in the United States, what are the odds that two friends would randomly develop CJD?

I am going to guess it's not zero, but I am also going to surmise the chances of two friends randomly developing CJD are not very high. Remember, we have something just over 333,000,000 people in the country.

Sounds to me like the squirrel-brain eating hillbilly types were involved with this.

Given the patients history of consuming CWD-infected deer meat, the authors suggest "a possible novel animal-to-human transmission of CWD." They also studied the case of one of the hunters friends who ate venison from the same deer population. That person recently died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease as well, the authors says."

WTF? Where does one find CWD-infected deer to eat - routinely enough to generate a "history" of it?
Eating carcasses after the heads got sent in and tested positive?
And have his friend be in on it???

1713390040800.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)63333-8/abstract

Spongiform encephalopathies have been reported in a variety of large and small mammals.

While conducting a study of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in south Florida, one of us (JRB) observed an affected patient who was originally a native of Kentucky and had a history of eating squirrel brains. Dietary transmission of prion diseases has been documented experimentally in animals and in human beings who are cannibals. Several case reports have suggested the possibility of transmission of CJD by consumption of brains of wild animals.
These observations, together with recent concerns about the transmission of a unique encephalopathy in man believed to be related to bovine spongiform encephalopathy
led us to examine the possible association of eating squirrel brains with CJD in rural Kentucky, where eating squirrel and other small game is not uncommon. Culinary preparations include scrambling the brains with eggs or putting them in a meat and vegetable stew referred to as “burgoo”.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can't imagine looking a deer that has CWD(assuming it's visually infected) and thinking..that's some good eating right there.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something’s gotta be a little off with a feller that is routinely eating animal brains. Jeez Louis
I was thinking around the same thing. I would have to be awfully hard up to eat animal brains, and one would think that the effort to get squirrel brains in the first place for the amount you get wouldn't be worth it but then again there are all types of strange out there.
Ya don't think Camper has indulged in too many small animal brains and that has caused he/she to be how them is do you?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking around the same thing. I would have to be awfully hard up to eat animal brains, and one would think that the effort to get squirrel brains in the first place for the amount you get wouldn't be worth it but then again there are all types of strange out there.
Ya don't think Camper has indulged in too many small animal brains and that has caused he/she to be how them is do you?
This must be it, the reason he is the smartest guy in the club.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So is it only in the brains? Thought it could be in the meat as well?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't imagine looking a deer that has CWD(assuming it's visually infected) and thinking..that's some good eating right there.
Something’s gotta be a little off with a feller that is routinely eating animal brains. Jeez Louis

To be clear, there's nothing in the article that says anything about these guys eating squirrels, much less squirrel brains.

Neither does it say they consumed venison from a deer that was known to have CWD. What the article does say is "In 2022, a 72-year-old man with a history of consuming meat from a CWD-infected deer population presented with rapid-onset confusion and aggression,".

So, the article is very poorly worded overall.

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To be clear, there's nothing in the article that says anything about these guys eating squirrels, much less squirrel brains.

Neither does it say they consumed venison from a deer that was known to have CWD. What the article does say is "In 2022, a 72-year-old man with a history of consuming meat from a CWD-infected deer population presented with rapid-onset confusion and aggression,".

So, the article is very poorly worded overall.
The whole thing should have been not written or re-written with accurate info and not assumptions.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84