To much drinking or to much thinking?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well just left my folks place after hanging out with them for awhile. Dad is well into Alzheimer's at an early age so stop by most days. Please don't feel sorry or any of that shit.... its life and well your dealt a hand and you play the cards you've been given and enjoy the game for as long as it lasts.

The reason I bring it up is that like a child he tends to say or ask things that peel back the Onion layers of bullshit we surround ourselves with down to basic truths. In this case we were talking not surprisingly:;:howdy about deer hunting down on the Rock. But as we talked he became quite confused on the management practices that are going on down there. What confused him was the fact that the reservation DNR has been running a highly restricted season for a several years now... with no does taken and whitetails having to have at least six points and mule deer having to have 8 to be legal. Well at the same time the North Dakota Game and Fish Department is running something along the lines of slash and burn or scorched earth policy in the same area.
He asked why this was and I quickly pointed out the occurrence of CWD in that area. At which point he said so its killed a lot of deer? I said no there's never actually been a confirmed fatality. He is an asked how they know it was there, I said it had shown up in four samples the game and fish it taken over the years in that unit.

........he then looked at me and said "I don't understand" and I looked at him and said you know what neither do I!

I grew up in Jamestown till I was 12 and spent many days up on the Spirit Lake nation in the 80's and it was just a known reality that you would not see much for wildlife while on the rez. So I still find it vary odd in my mind to watch as the Standing Rock Game and Fish make the NDGF look like a bunch of greedy assholes! We all know why the tag numbers are as high as they are down there and it sure the hell has nothing to do with CWD! Making posts like I have over the last 48 hours are actually extremely counterproductive for me simply because Standing Rock is becoming far too famous far too fast nationally(all 600 tags sold out this year in under a hour starting at midnight) and as a guy living in a trailer I won't be able to make the monetary jump the tag price is likely to take soon enough but still can't hold my tongue (nothing new to anybody's who has ever met me) because watching two separate DNR's operate two completely different ways side by side in the exact same spot has show me how piss poorly things can be done even after one side claims to have learned its lesson from last time!

Sorry about the rant but its just so pathetic that a man that can't even find his own garage can still find the bullshit in the North Dakota Game and Fish Department!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Natives have been managing the game for a long time, without degrees.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What was the big die off disease that we ran into pheasant hunting. So many wt dead. A couple years ago in the sw nd? Didn't that have to do with population? Not that I on side of gf for selling to many tags. I do think they leveled them out this year

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's EHD but didn't hit in this area all that much. That's transmitted by a small Midge so the outbreaks tend to stop at the first killing frost. The dead giveaway on that one is most of the dead deer will be found in or near water.

- - - Updated - - -

The main thing I'm complaining about now is the fact the the game and fish are still running our unit like they did all the rest before the bad winters. Hell for awile we had our own special early doe season. The main thing that took out the other units was back to back to back bad winters. But the game and fish didn't help by keeping their.foot on the gas during the crash. At the same time the game and fish first started shutting down the mule deer doe tags out in the badlands SRG&F shut down both whitetails and mule deer does on the res....even for the members. They followed up with point restrictions and here we sit a few years later and the changes are starting to show. Only problem is the NDG&F is using our area down here lime there long lost piggy bank to make up for the losses they face elsewhere and its getting pretty annoying.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Management sure must be different from one reservation to another. At Spirit Lake the management is kill everything that moves, and seasons what's a season?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
What percentage of the rez tags get filled? You'd think they could sell 1000 and the amount harvested legally wouldn't change much.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats brings up this question, if CWD isn't taking its toll on the deer population, why are they wasting so much time with it and just do it randomly, like every other year and spend some damn time figuring out how kill that f*king midge bug (EHD) that what kills them more than anything.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What percentage of the rez tags get filled? You'd think they could sell 1000 and the amount harvested legally wouldn't change much.
You have to remember that the 600 are for nonmember nonresident only. There is another chunk of around 100/or so for nonmember residents and unlimited over the counter for the members. Mind you they can only get one each. Then add in ND going crazy with tag numbers for 3F2 that Sioux county makes up about 1/3 of and SD issuing there own tags for their side and its a damn wonder there's a deer down there. But when you have places with vary few roads and good palace to hide and atleast some groups trying to manage the herd correctly it makes for a damn nice environment for hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88