Dad's getting a new boat

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the boat sitting in a marina, lift, or being trailered every outing?

If it's staying put in/on the water I'd be getting a long SOB like the guides are using.

- - - Updated - - -

also - what's his age, stamina, and overall approach to fishing?

You looking for a skater that has a nasty weed habit to take you fishing on the northern lake?...haha

in all seriousness good question, the boat is an extension of the fisherman.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
As soon as you say "it's gotta be just as good" without multiple confirmations it's just as good, you are veering.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't someone just complaining about how Skeeter wasn't going to warranty gel coat cracks on a 1 yr old boat? If I remember correctly, the repair bill was estimated at $6k - $8k. Reason given is it wasn't "structural". That would surely keep me away from a Skeeter. Unless, of course, I could get it for $10-12k less than fair market value.

If I've inadvertently thrown the wrong manufacturer under the keel, I apologize.

A few years ago in my last Skeeter I had some gel coat cracks start to show up and it went back to Skeeter over the winter to be fixed....it was almost 3 years old at that time. When I got it back in the spring it looked and smelled brand new. I think it really depends on who your dealer is and Skeeter Boat Center is far and away the best.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you mount a full canopy on a glasser ?

You don’t need one with a Ranger they are so sparkly that the suns rays actually reflect back and produce its own shade…if you own a Ranger you don’t even need to put a pole in the water the fish just jump in the boat…if you own a Ranger you go so fast that the speed of light can’t even catch up with you …so canopy’s are irrelevant….

but if you do get one...they look pretty neat:
57bde2136c05a67e22c57281_19673673011_3ba63800d4_k.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don’t need one with a Ranger they are so sparkly that the suns rays actually reflect back and produce its own shade…if you own a Ranger you don’t even need to put a pole in the water the fish just jump in the boat…if you own a Ranger you go so fast that the speed of light can’t even catch up with you …so canopy’s are irrelevant….

but if you do get one...they look pretty neat:
10432973_722350977803768_4805403471090363343_n.jpg

If I could only find that boat for sale.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Based on my own personal experience, if I had a pile of money to buy a boat, I'd be sniffing around at Yarcraft before any other brand. Then when I found the Yarcraft I want, I'd do direct comparisons with other brands to see if they offered something better. Good Luck and hope you find one you'll be happy with.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no perfect boat, none, never, not for anyone. They're ALL a compromise to some degree. Look at how many folks have 2 (or more) boats, a "big" boat and a river/ditch boat, etc, etc, etc.

I'm a "Floorplan First" fisherman. What do you need for front/rear deck space vs. seated fishing/running space? Some folks like to fish from a raised "platform" like the front or rear deck. Other folks prefer the security of a little more boat/sides between them and the water.

I've taken my previous 1850 Crestliner FishHawk to the 'Angle as well as my current 186 YarCraft. Length/Width/draft they're almost identical. The YarCraft rides smoother, is a bajillion times dryer in waves/wind, runs ~10MPH faster while using the same or less fuel than did my FishHawk. So far, on a couple of trips to the 'Angle, I've had no trouble finding a little bit of sand beach to pull up my glass boat and have a break and some shore-lunch. In fact, it's the same sand beaches I used to use with the Crestliner. What I'm getting at is I wouldn't think twice about running glass up there, or pretty much anywhere else, and that I greatly prefer glass to AL having now owned very nearly mirror image boats in each material.

Given where you're dad's going to use the boat, local servicing availability would weigh heavily in my decision of what to buy and how to power it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
2060 skeeter loaded up for 60k is the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0163.jpgThis one is sitting at Blake's marine in devils lake. Dual power poles, low hours, mint. Not sure what their asking $$

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have a gently used 2017 219 Yar Craft with 350 Verado for sale in a month or so... I think it may be a fishable boat on LOW and the NW Angle. Slightly higher than your dads price range however.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I could only find that boat for sale.

Wait a minute.. is the Fancy Feast going on the block? Don't you already have a spare boat? Are you turning into some Beverly Hillbilly cut-rate boat dealer?

(with a shrewd, eyes-narrowed look on my face) OR, are you getting into the boat-storage business..?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe he doesn't like the chaffing his rainwear provides him each time he's out in 1' plus waves. I see a windshield, wheel boat in his future.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31