Deer growth from last year

bowhunter88

Established Member
Hey just wondering what some of you are seeing in deer growth from last year. A few of the bucks that i've found this year from last year seem like they didn't put on much antler. Wondering if maybe the stress over the winter slowed them down a just a little bit. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do realize that moisture is a major factor in antler growth. Deer need water for normal growth, antler growth and dissolved minerals to aid in length and mass of headgear. It's been pretty dry, and the antlers are going to show it!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Genetics is the big thing most deer don't put much on year to year except from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2. The special ones put 20 or more inches a year on and keep doing it. I've seen a couple that put 20+ on this year compared to last and some are the same size. Just depends on the deer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well what I've noticed as odd as it may sound is that, the bucks pour on the most antler growth on drought years around here anyways. I think the nutrients are more condensed so to speak or the deer just go for the very best food that is left to eat. And from what I've seen digiscoping and on trail cam pics and dead critters in pics it looks to be one hell of a season ahead. Hard to believe after the brutal winter we had.
Tough critters.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I saw this weekend out west there will be many big racks available. Crazy for such a dry year.

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well what I've noticed as odd as it may sound is that, the buck pour on the most antler growth on drought years around here anyways. I think the nutrients are more condensed so to speak or the deer just go for the very best food that is left to eat. And from what I've seen digiscoping and on trail cam pics and dead critters in pics it looks to be one hell of a season. Hard to believe after the brutal winter we had.
Tough critters.
Yes during dry years the protein content in food is higher.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure where I stand on the "better racks during drier conditions" thought process, not disagreeing with it- just trying to wrap my head around it.
I will add that I've seen more busted horns during drier periods vs. normal moisture years. The year I got my AZ elk there were terrible fires, super dry conditions. Butcher in I spoke with in Springerville mentioned he'd never seen so busted up bull's ever in his career.

It's interesting to hear what everyone else has to say on this topic. Keep them coming.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was really windy earlier this year.

The deer grow bigger/stronger antlers in windy years so that they don't break or bend over in strong winds. THINK people, sheesh!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also I think how early of a spring we have makes the most difference not much available for them to eat right away when they start growing

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
More protein in wheat on dry years.....might transfer over to other plants the deer consume. Big deer on dry years is my experience!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Everything I have ever heard from those who raise livestock is that dry years usually produce bigger calves because the grass has more protein. Same should apply to deer. Not an expert, just what I've always heard from those who make their living growing animals.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear dry years make them more aggressive too. Be careful out there.
IMG_4949.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That is one funny mount. Would be great in a bar, near where they keep the accounts receivable.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes, that mount is so well done - very coyote/wolf aggressive with the neck, ears laid back, teeth, pulled back lips/nose, posture... so on the money

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always hear south TX deer antlers suffer greatly during dry summers. Different subspecies though. Different everything down that way. Bucks I have seen this summer locally look really good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33