deer rifle results are out

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're pretty limited in SD . . . If a guy were super lucky you could get 5 West River, 5 East River, 1 Refuge, 1 Black Hills, 2 Muzzleloader, 2 any bow tags . . .

I have a feeling change is coming on this front. There is a presentation floating out there from one of the members of the deer stakeholders group proposing a radical change-

https://youtu.be/LWGGzGfqB94

A quick run down of the video proposal (I stole from another site)-

Residents can only get ONE state wide archery tag. This tag would be good on public and private lands statewide which are not part of several identified large tracts of public land which would require a special limited entry permit (Black Hills and Custer National forests, Fort Pierre and Buffalo Gap national grasslands). This is a change from the TWO tags a resident or nonresident can currently get, one east of the MO river and one west of the MO river good on all lands public and private. In order to hunt one of the large public areas I listed, an archer would have to make that specific permit his first choice in the RIFLE DRAW and forego obtaining any firearms permit in the first draw(or take his chances that there may be a leftover limited entry archery permit in draw #2). So archery guys that want to hunt decent public lands that we hunt now have to give up gun hunting basically(I don't gun hunt much but tons of guys I know do and this is a big deal to them). Non-residents can only have one buck tag as I understand it. So if you hunt archery, no gun tag and vice versa. However, if you have a gun tag you can buy an archery stamp and use your gun tag during the archery season for the specified unit.

Really interesting ideas. I am not for it but am quite interested to see how things play out. Right now, where I live, I can get my West River tag each year. Along with a West River Archery. I have a 50% chance at a Black Hills tag too. Muzzy tag is getting tougher, I have 3 years and nothing yet. So I can have 4 buck tags if all plays out well. I have not done well on leftovers lately so I don't consider that. Doe tags you can get a pile, that is all I know LOL!

Feel sorry for some of you Nodak folks. That is a long time to wait on your preferred unit. While I understand there are tags available, traveling to another unit isn't exactly easy either. Often you end up on public land with 100 other schmucks. That is the crappy part about leftover tags. But a hunt is a hunt. Keeping folks interested in deer hunting is a serious challenge with those draw statistics.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is interesting have to dig into it more to see how I feel about it

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzy whitetail this year for me, had it last year too. anyone know the odds of drawing with no preference points? No regular tags for me or the wife this year.I think she had 4 preference points for unit 2b

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bow hunters are going to throw a major hissy fit over this.
I have a feeling change is coming on this front. There is a presentation floating out there from one of the members of the deer stakeholders group proposing a radical change-

Residents can only get ONE state wide archery tag. This tag would be good on public and private lands statewide which are not part of several identified large tracts of public land which would require a special limited entry permit (Black Hills and Custer National forests, Fort Pierre and Buffalo Gap national grasslands). This is a change from the TWO tags a resident or nonresident can currently get, one east of the MO river and one west of the MO river good on all lands public and private. In order to hunt one of the large public areas I listed, an archer would have to make that specific permit his first choice in the RIFLE DRAW and forego obtaining any firearms permit in the first draw(or take his chances that there may be a leftover limited entry archery permit in draw #2). So archery guys that want to hunt decent public lands that we hunt now have to give up gun hunting basically(I don't gun hunt much but tons of guys I know do and this is a big deal to them). Non-residents can only have one buck tag as I understand it. So if you hunt archery, no gun tag and vice versa. However, if you have a gun tag you can buy an archery stamp and use your gun tag during the archery season for the specified unit.

Really interesting ideas. I am not for it but am quite interested to see how things play out. Right now, where I live, I can get my West River tag each year. Along with a West River Archery. I have a 50% chance at a Black Hills tag too. Muzzy tag is getting tougher, I have 3 years and nothing yet. So I can have 4 buck tags if all plays out well. I have not done well on leftovers lately so I don't consider that. Doe tags you can get a pile, that is all I know LOL!

Feel sorry for some of you Nodak folks. That is a long time to wait on your preferred unit. While I understand there are tags available, traveling to another unit isn't exactly easy either. Often you end up on public land with 100 other schmucks. That is the crappy part about leftover tags. But a hunt is a hunt. Keeping folks interested in deer hunting is a serious challenge with those draw statistics.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is old news, he pushes his outfitter agenda every year. So far he hasn't gained traction. I know it seems like he is some big wig, but he's not. He has no ties to G&F, they think he's a joke as well. Right now their deer plan has no significant changes as the vast majority of comments were not in support of this guy's plan.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzy whitetail this year for me, had it last year too. anyone know the odds of drawing with no preference points? No regular tags for me or the wife this year.I think she had 4 preference points for unit 2b
If that muzzy tag is a doe the odds actually aren't bad, if you drew a buck with no points go buy a lottery ticket because the chances are basically zero until you have 4 points, and the chances don't get above 10% until you have 7 points.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My name was put in lottery 344 times with the 8 points I have. No tag. Next year it will be put in 514 times and I will be 70 years old and running out of time.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My name was put in lottery 344 times with the 8 points I have. No tag. Next year it will be put in 514 times and I will be 70 years old and running out of time.

Well that's certainly looking at life through poop-stained glasses. Chin up man! You'll draw and shoot a whale of a whitetail. I can feel it.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's only gonna get worse , now they are selling mule doe tags again so a bad winter and that herd will be down , if you want a tag every year better buy a bow

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
There could have been 100 people that did but maybe was only 40 leftover tags , that happens tough sh't

If they are all issued 1st drawing there are none leftover lol....... and as far as tough shit goes I've had a rifle buck tag in ND 21 out of the last 22 years so I'm ok with getting turned down!

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are all issued 1st drawing there are none leftover lol....... and as far as tough shit goes I've had a rifle buck tag in ND 21 out of the last 22 years so I'm ok with getting turned down!
They don't all go 1st choice tho , guys drew these tags as second choice . And that's pretty good luck .

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
Denied for rifle and muzzy. Will have 10 points for muzzleloader next year

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
They don't all go 1st choice tho , guys drew these tags as second choice . And that's pretty good luck .

That's not exactly how it works as I personally know people who draw second choice unit buck tags where there are far more first choice applicants then tags available.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
White tail buck for me, for my daughter, and a youth doe tag for my boys first hunt.

Looks like a busy fall.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like you and I are in the same boat.

I would not mind leaving my two inlines in the safe. I have three cap and ball, but would like a flintlock. I have a 1X scope on the one inline because I can't see sights anymore. At least not both sightes and the target. Sometimes front sight and the target or back sight only. I think we should find the guy who coined the phrase "Golden Years" and choke the crap out of him.

You know maybe they should give us a slight edge so we can hunt with the old smoke pole again before they shovel six feet of dirt in our face. Maybe one extra point for every year over 70 years old.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
For all you muzzy guys complaining. Why not put in for Muzzy Doe or just use your muzzy during regular rifle? You could literally hunt with a Muzzy every year if you want.

Sorry its just tough to feel sorry for guys who put in for muzzy buck and badlands Muley buck every year and refuse to even look at any other possibility. I guess its easier to just complain.

Last edited:

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
For all you muzzy guys complaining. Why not put in for Muzzy Doe or just use your muzzy during regular rifle? You could literally hunt with a Muzzy every year if you want.

Sorry its just tough to feel sorry for guys who put in for muzzy buck and badlands Muley buck every year and refuse to even look at any other possibility. I guess its easier to just complain.

agreed, I also love to muzzy hunt so since 2012 or so ive been putting in for muzzy doe , ive got 3 out of 5 years .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like you and I are in the same boat.

I would not mind leaving my two inlines in the safe. I have three cap and ball, but would like a flintlock. I have a 1X scope on the one inline because I can't see sights anymore. At least not both sightes and the target. Sometimes front sight and the target or back sight only. I think we should find the guy who coined the phrase "Golden Years" and choke the crap out of him.

You know maybe they should give us a slight edge so we can hunt with the old smoke pole again before they shovel six feet of dirt in our face. Maybe one extra point for every year over 70 years old.
I agree. You hold and I will choke and then trade places for awhile.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34