Devils Lake/Dry Lake - First Trip

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
4 of us heading to DL early Friday morning, considering trying Dry Lake first. Can anyone provide some insight/guidance on Dry Lake? Thanks gents...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice fish cleaning station at Hoskiss Lake south of access on Dry. Fish move around a lot on Dry. Best would be East side across from access or North end on under water road bed. Have not been there yet this year so don't know water level. There are old tree stumps at different places so beware off the dead heads. Not a place to go all out.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just follow the wind. Pitch, spinners, or bob shores with some wave action. Walleye:pike ration is more favorable than the main lake and tend to be Canada dumb.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think lbrandt is talking about a different dry lake. The one by devils is stupid easy fishing. Just throw a leech below a bobber in the vicinity of some structure, grab a beer and wait.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think lbrandt is talking about a different dry lake. The one by devils is stupid easy fishing. Just throw a leech below a bobber in the vicinity of some structure, grab a beer and wait.

Thanks esp...heard there is a ramp at the Dry Lake campground?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
somebody told me 102 rigs in at dry last weekend.

how about since the water is up ---- can one still back off from road on mikes?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. Google dry lake campground. She charges $20/day. But, i believe its worth it. She must average $1000/day in dockinh fees alone.

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the Intel guys, heading to D.L from Beulah on our annual trip on June 23-27. Never been on Dry, may give it a whirl. Staying at Grahams Island in a wall tent, likely the only wall tent there, stop by for payment :;:cheers if your around.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. Google dry lake campground. She charges $20/day. But, i believe its worth it. She must average $1000/day in dockinh fees alone.

but is the road paved? ha ha ha - this is Devils 5 years ago (not my truck/boat)

599476_4028601953768_1389654867_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

somebody told me 102 rigs in at dry last weekend.

not my cup of tea - I prefer to scratch out a limit well away from the crowds IF I CAN - and that's not always the case of course

there is a price to be paid at times for being a curmudgeon

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the insight guys...looking at wind forecasts for Friday...gusts out of the SE to 30mph...Dry Lake might be best option if the winds are pushing like that?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah I was talking about Dry Lake by Ashley not by DL (sorry about that). Wonder how many more Dry Lakes we got in ND. It must be like Round or Long in Minn.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
That lake is bigger than u think. Other than the ramp, i dont think 100 boats would be crowded. On the mikes lake question... they are still putting in on that road on the refuge line. But, thats a true shit show. Rutted up, muddy, diificult drop in and a long walk back to the boat after parking the truck if there are a lot of people there. I will never go back after beating my equipment up in that ditch last year. Dont know how those sparkly boat guys do it.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it don't start raining soon, there will be a few more dry lakes in ND.

Just stop in at Ed's in the morning before you head up to Dry lake, usually find a group of guys that head that direction pretty often. Pick up some leeches and toss out slip bobbers. Haven't been there myself but sounds like a great place to take kids.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Decided we are gonna hit Dry Lake early, sounds like dew points coming up tomorrow-could stir up some storms early afternoon. From everything I've read/heard the last few days, will target shallow spots...cranks/plastics/leeches. Thanks again for all the insight gents...appreciate it!

Brian J

Update on dry lake from 6-9-17. Fishing was fair. Ended up with a limit but really no rhyme or reason to where they were. Water temp was 68 already so not sure how much longer before it greens over....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33