Dog barks too much

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
We adopted our dog from a shelter, she is 4 years old. She is for the most part a great dog, except she barks way too much. This is my 5th Lab and my first real barker. No matter what I say, she will not heed my commands to stop barking. I am looking for suggestions on how to quiet her down some. I am not into shock collars or anything that will hurt her. I saw on thing at Pet Smart where when she barks, it activates and sends out a shrill sound that humans cannot hear but dogs can. Anybody use one of these before, do they work? Or any other suggestions.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if my neighbor would mind if I put one on his dog. So nice of him to let him out at 10:30 pm to bark at the darkness.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a bark deterrent device from Pet Smart that looks like a bird house. Maybe it doesn't work for every dog, but it works on mine. I turn that thing on and my lab is as quiet as a church mouse. I've had if for several years now and still use it on a regular basis. I hate bark collars...feel bad for the dog to have two pointy objects being jabbed into their throat.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
You won't know what works for sure until you try. All I know is that if she has a lot of energy the noises probably aren't going to work. IMO

I wonder if my neighbor would mind if I put one on his dog. So nice of him to let him out at 10:30 pm to bark at the darkness.

Isn't there a song about that? If not there should be! lol

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bark collars only hurt if you set them to high. The idea is to send an unpleasant stimulus when the dog barks. You set it just high enough to keep the dog quiet. My brothers dog (Golden Retriever) barked all the time. He got a bark collar and now she softly growls. She learned just how loud she could be before the collar reminded her. When he took the collar off, she went right back to barking at everything. Dogs aren't dumb. Some are just stubborn. Good Luck!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havery a 2 year old GSP that was a barker, shock collar handled it just fine. If he gets barking now I put it on him for a couple hours and he's good.
your neighbors will appreciate it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bark collars only hurt if you set them to high. The idea is to send an unpleasant stimulus when the dog barks. You set it just high enough to keep the dog quiet. My brothers dog (Golden Retriever) barked all the time. He got a bark collar and now she softly growls. She learned just how loud she could be before the collar reminded her. When he took the collar off, she went right back to barking at everything. Dogs aren't dumb. Some are just stubborn. Good Luck!!

Yep they are really smart used the bark collar a couple times on my one lab now if he gets to barking i go out side tell him to stop show him the collar and he quits dont even have to put it on him any more. i tried the bird house looking thing he barked looked at it funny and if dogs had a middle finger he would have flipped it off and kept on keeping on.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this bird house thing have a name?

My dog will sit in front of my wife and growl then bark because he wants to be petted. I find it hilarious, he will come to me and I pet him every time so he never does it to me. But it's like he knows that she does want to and is trying to make her. I am observing closely in case he gets her "solved";) cause I hope to learn from him. I actually like that he barks when someone comes in, kids can't sneak in, a robber will be toast, well deaf anyway. Need to do something to keep the neighbor happy though as he resents them checking their mail and with garden season coming up they will not be pleased.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this bird house thing have a name?

My dog will sit in front of my wife and growl then bark because he wants to be petted. I find it hilarious, he will come to me and I pet him every time so he never does it to me. But it's like he knows that she does want to and is trying to make her. I am observing closely in case he gets her "solved";) cause I hope to learn from him. I actually like that he barks when someone comes in, kids can't sneak in, a robber will be toast, well deaf anyway. Need to do something to keep the neighbor happy though as he resents them checking their mail and with garden season coming up they will not be pleased.

https://www.flexpetz.com/outdoor-ba...0-11216.html?gclid=CNvelbaxvMUCFQetaQodhqYAYw

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess if you don't want to use a bark collar then you deep down don't have a problem with the barking. Maybe Dr. Phil can stop the barking for you.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
As mentioned by KDM, shock type collars do not hurt a dog. If they did, they wouldn't be sold. Just enough stimulus to get their attention is all that is needed. It's the most effective tool at your disposal.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know if I’m sold on the "bark collar" we tried it on our lab and it would send a small shock the first bark, then progressively get stronger if they continued to bark, all this taught her was to bark softer and quicker…it was quite hilarious…What I would recommend is a regular field training shock collar, this way you can verbally correct her then zap her if she does not listen, this way the dog will associate your command with the collar, now all I have to do is put her shock collar on her and she is a much better behaved dog.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a dummy collar for our first dog. It looked like the shock collar that he reluctant to wear. If the actual one wasn't charged or we didn't want to hassle with bringing it along, we just strapped the decoy onto him and he was much better behaved. Obviously, there was training in place to respect the collar.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Royce barks too much I sit down with him and I read him Quincy05 dominant fishingbuddy threads.

That gets his head back in the game pronto and he doesn't bark for about 3 or 4 weeks after that. Not even a growl.

The only reason he starts barking again is because well, he's a dog, and they forget. Wish I could forget all the Quincy05 threads I've read.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Royce barks too much I sit down with him and I read him Quincy05 dominant fishingbuddy threads.

That gets his head back in the game pronto and he doesn't bark for about 3 or 4 weeks after that. Not even a growl.

The only reason he starts barking again is because well, he's a dog, and they forget. Wish I could forget all the Quincy05 threads I've read.

every time someone says his name, I have expect to him to be the next guy to sign up. gives me the shivers.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's a guy I could actually see having a full blown conversation with him self. Lets hope he doesn't find his way over here.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76