Dog diet

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a thread about eating dogs. :;:

I wonder if my dog has a gluten alergy. Won't eat bread or noodles when it falls from the table (or when she steals it from the table and hides with it.) Possibly unrelated, she's had a lot of gunk in her eyes for the last month or two. Came outta nowhere. Anyhow, figured I'd throw some stuff at her and see what sticks. Vets are for chumps.

What do you feed your dog? Buddy feeds his 50/50 people food/dog food. Lots of chicken, fish, vegetables, rice, potatoes. That seems like a lot of work and really expensive.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started feeding all of my animals 100% grain free food after I went that route a couple years ago now and they all look better and have more energy are not as lethargic as they were and eat less which is good because that grain free food is expensive, they all get table scraps as well.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iams mini-chunks once/day just before bedtime. Virtually 0 "people food".

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of dog foods out there. All I know for sure is that all dogs do not have the same requirements for food. Some dogs thrive on Old Roy. No way I would feed that. For a fact most dogs eat less when fed quality food. I also believe that there must be a good profit margin for dog food.

Lots of dog trainers feed Pro Plan. It is not cheap.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started the dog out on blue buffalo grain free. She didn't react well to it. Switched over to taste of the wild and she really likes it. Good energy, coat looks great, and most days she only has to drop a yard bomb a few times a day.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went and checked out a number of "natural" dog foods. Picked up a big bag of Wellness Core seafood and sojos pre-mix. I'm looking at ingredients of some of these pre-mixes and they're basically horse feed. I think I'm going to stop at Runnings/Tractor Supply/Fleet Farm and look at horse feed.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha Ha that's why grain free is the best choice. Even cattle and horses digestive systems are not designed to eat "Grains' the are designed to eat the grass itself not the seeds of the grass species.

- - - Updated - - -

I get our food at runnings, my dogs didn't care much for the blue buffalo brand either like mike posted but they do like both the Hills Ideal grain free and the Blue wilderness taste of the wild grain free so I mix the 2 together.

They love the salmon the best.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dogfoodanalysis.com

they are independent and rate all foods pros vs cons of each, go grain free, TRY to stay away from white potatoe, potatoe fiber, lamb is good protein if you have to go further it would be a fish protein, stay with a reputable brand, some use bad preservatives to treat fish

- - - Updated - - -

Watch chicken too, for many dog allergies chicken is the first protein to eliminate

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thawing a 20# turkey, which is significantly less expensive than the 20# bag of dog food.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been feeding Iams for six years now and dogs couldn't look better. Mostly Lamb and Rice

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The raw turkey may be the way. Raw poultry bones are safe. I'd just hate to process a turkey all the damn time. I heard good stuff about the "raw" diet.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the first five ingrediants include corn meal or chicken by product you are feeding your dog shitty food. Since switching from shitty Iams about 6 years ago my dog has literally not had diarrhea once that I can think of. Used to get it about every other month. Now feed chicken soup for dog lovers soul.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha Ha that's why grain free is the best choice. Even cattle and horses digestive systems are not designed to eat "Grains' the are designed to eat the grass itself not the seeds of the grass species.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious about your qualifications to make a statement like that?

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a 7 yr old lab and we've fed her Iams for years and never had an issue, coat is good and never had a problem with the quality of the exiting byproduct. She does get a few scraps when our little one decides he's done eating and needs to clean off his high chair.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone once posted either on this site or the other one a few years ago that check the ingredients list, if the first ingredient is corn its not good food. That's all I do now when I buy food is look at that. The better foods have 3-5 of the first ingredients are some kind of meat. I also like switching dog foods so my dog isnt getting the exact same nutrients all the time.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pup loves blue wilderness and taste of the wild. I can switch back and forth and no issues. It's not cheap but he likes it. He's only 8 months old and the vet trips for shots, balls chopped off, etc the vet says he looks great and no joint, heart, etc issues that he can see

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious about your qualifications to make a statement like that?

Qualifications? The Internet. I may try the sea kelp, mayonnaise, and dish soap diet for my dog. It literally probably turns back aging.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 64
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24