Service Dogs/Companion Dogs

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
walked in to a local quick lube joint the other day and blamo, my right hand was greeted with golden retriever slobber. SWEET.

Seemed like a nice lady with a nice dog. Zero indications of the dog being a service animal and she sat right by the entry door with him.

Wish I would've done what my old man does when my dog buries his nose into his hand uninvited. A quick flip of the wrist and a sneezing dog wondering wtf is the outcome.

- - - Updated - - -

my brother has a little dog he's convinced everyone they encounter automatically loves. he'd never claim him to be a service dog but he takes the little fugger EVERYWHERE with him

onpoint!

Established Member
That is False

TRAINED service animals, I have no problem with anywhere.

Look into it (and maybe read a bit) before you sound off. SERVICE DOGS that serve a purpose are cool - take them anywhere. You taking your rabbit into a restaurant or church because you want attention isn’t cool, even if Thumper makes you feel better about life.
The point is, there needs to be some validity to the claim, and today’s rules don't allow for even that conversation to occur. Recently, an airline barred some of those bizarre claims from getting on the plane and they’re still fighting the fallout.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
For under a hundred bucks anyone can buy on line a certificate that says your mutt is a trained service dog, complete with special harness and lettering, etc. A total scam!
i doubt anyone on here has any hang up about real well trained service dogs being brought into places to truly support their owners. Seeing eye, epilepsy alert dogs, true PTSD emotional support dogs, etc.
there gets to be a real slippery slope once you get into the so called “emotional support” category though. A number of organizations are working with airlines, restaurant organizations, etc. To try work out solutions to weed out the many people abusing it! Regulating it and certifying an animal can be tough. Turkeys and pigs on airliners?? Good grief!

Some well meaning places allow dogs to be taken into businesses when it’s really hot. Signs on businesses all over Arizona appear, saying “it’s hot outside and don’t leave your dog in vehicles -bring them inside!” Personally when it’s that hot I leave our dog in our air conditioned home, though once in a while if I haven’t planned to stop someplace, I’ll bring her briefly in. Food stores and restaurants are off limits to this rule, though you’ll see dogs in hardware stores, gun stores, cell phone places, anywhere no food is sold or served.

Brokeback has has a good point -same thing with handicapped parking! Need a better means test to get one! And more responsible use if you do get one!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A certified tag (fluorescent orange) or whatever from a "certified service dog trainer" may help somewhat. You will still have people ( jack asses) that will try and replicate.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only been an issue a few times around here but every time the only ailment was a 10+ year drug problem, also vagrants. Come into town, test the waters then move on if they can't find enough handouts.

Also if you are talking about food establishments if the animal(legit service animal even) has a possibility of contaminating things at a table around it, this even mean the possibility of a stray hair. then the animal does not need to be allowed.

Administrative Rules of MontanaAdministrative Rules of Montana (ARM) adopted the 2013 FDAFood Code with respect to animals in food establishments. Pleasesee the information below for details, including exceptions to therule.ARM 37.110.268 CHAPTER 6: PHYSICAL FACILITIES6‐501.115 Prohibiting Animals (from the 2013 FDA Food Code)(A) Except as specified in (B) and (C) of this section, live animalsmay not be allowed on the PREMISES of a FOOD ESTABLISHMENT(B) Live animals may be allowed in the following situations if thecontamination of FOOD; clean EQUIPMENT, UTENSILS, andLINENS; and unwrapped SINGLE‐SERVICE and SINGLE‐USEARTICLES cannot result 1) Edible FISH or decorative FISH in aquariums, shellfish orcrustacea on ice or under refrigeration, and shellfish andcrustacea in display tank systems;(2) Patrol dogs accompanying police or security officers inoffices and dining, sales, and storage areas, and sentry dogsrunning loose in outside fenced areas;(3) In areas that are not used for FOOD preparation and thatare usually open for customers, such as dining and sales areas,SERVICE ANIMALS that are controlled by the disabledEMPLOYEE or PERSON, if a health or safety HAZARD will notresult from the presence or activities of the SERVICE ANIMAL;(4) Pets in the common dining areas of institutional carefacilities such as nursing homes, assisted living facilities, grouphomes, or residential care facilities at times other than duringmeals if a) Effective partitioning and self‐closing doors separate thecommon dining areas from FOOD storage or FOODpreparation areas,(b) Condiments, EQUIPMENT, and UTENSILS are stored inenclosed cabinets or removed from the common dining areaswhen pets are present, and(c) Dining areas including tables, countertops, and similarsurfaces are effectively cleaned before the next meal service;and(5) In areas that are not used for FOOD preparation, storage,sales, display, or dining, in which there are caged animals oranimals that are similarly confined, such as in a variety storethat sells pets or a tourist park that displays animals.(C) Live or dead FISH bait may be stored if contamination ofFOOD; clean EQUIPMENT, UTENSILS, and LINENS; and unwrappedSINGLE‐SERVICE and SINGLE‐USE ARTICLES cannot result.

I have no problem with service animals, in fact I kinda like them when they are legit. It's also true that "certifications" are being handed out like pot cards and it's taking away from the real working animals that serve a more of a purpose than just following around an asshole.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't mind the dogs in like walmart or runnings, but a restaurant seems to far. I am not the most sanitary goober on the planet but don't care for germs if I can avoid them.

I don't quite get the argument "taking away from legit service animals".... what is being taken, other than internet shaming?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46