Dog Food Thread

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why did they say not to use blue buffalo? Personally I use one of the 5 star taste of the wilds and have also referred to the above website. But, I thought BB was highly rated. Canidae is also a good choice.
Most likely because they sell science diet. I've been set on blue buffalo for a bit but I like what I read about canidae. Plus there's one puppy brand and 3 flavors of adult. Simple choices for a simple man like myself.

Ruger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used Taste of the Wild (usually lamb)with my Brit and he loves it, no issues at all. I sometimes use different flavors as treats. Lately he has been going wild over the venison flavor. I too used the website mentioned earlier when I was researching different brands to use. I know Taste of the Wild is only 4 star but I found the ingredients and ratio of protein etc... to be similar. I started with the puppy feed first and have moved on to adult food. My Brit is 14 months and works like a dog in the field.... no pun intended

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used Taste of the Wild (usually lamb)with my Brit and he loves it, no issues at all. I sometimes use different flavors as treats. Lately he has been going wild over the venison flavor. I too used the website mentioned earlier when I was researching different brands to use. I know Taste of the Wild is only 4 star but I found the ingredients and ratio of protein etc... to be similar. I started with the puppy feed first and have moved on to adult food. My Brit is 14 months and works like a dog in the field.... no pun intended

i was going with that or the diamond naturals and diamond is easier to get being in a little town. i know my mom feeds that taste of the wild to alot of her dogs it is good stuff

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to feed our dogs science diet advanced fitness. The boxer got it for 3 years and the GWP got it for a year and a half.... about 3 months ago i was going to take the GWP to a trainer for a week where she would stay with him and he would work with her. Decided to switch her over to what he feeds his dogs ahead of time so there wouldn't be any upset stomach from a sudden switch.... Purina Pro Plan 30/20 is what that guy feeds his. So we made the switch and i'm glad we did. The food is the same price, as the science diet, but we feed less and my GWP is maintaining weight even through hunting season and they both crap CONSIDERABLY less. The trainer said that PPP 30/20 is good for all ages and that he feeds it to dogs from the time they get onto hard food to the day they die.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feed our dog nutri source. He cant seem to get enough. Had him try blue buffalo, but he didnt like the squirts he would get from it. Nutri source has been good so far.

^^^^This.

Had my dogs on Purina Pro Plan, but the older one had problems with allergies. Switched to Nutri Source and his allergies went away. They love it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used 4health with current dogs. In years past I fed my previous dog Native...although we changed to 4 health as 4 health was easier to get. Closest person who sold NATIVE was in Bemidji which really wasn't a problem since we go there often..just had to plan ahead. I see NATIVE is 5 stars and 4health is 4 stars. Keep corn out of their diet is what I always heard.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
DirtyMike, is that pup in the house, and sleeping in your bed yet?? ;) ;:;popcorn ;:;rofl

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only food I have given my dog since she was a puppy is diamond lamb and rice. I have tried others with other dogs. Best I've tried so far

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, I feed Diamond too, pick it up at runnings for a decent price and he shits way less then when I was feeding him Purina dog chow. I don't know how a dog can shit twice as much as he eats, but he did.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab is on science diet prescription urinary food. And my other dog gets diamond. The science diet is $80 for a 40 pound bag

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife is going to pick her up on friday while i'm in Dickinson for the weekend. It won't take long for that dog to rule the house.

I am in Dickinson this weekend too, feel free to contact me. I have some nice land just south of town with a pile of cocks on it, the land owner is always great about letting me on, and he drinks ice cold Busch lights too...:;:howdy

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife is going to pick her up on friday while i'm in Dickinson for the weekend. It won't take long for that dog to rule the house.

Make sure you get your pup socializing with everyone and anyone early on. Get it used to people. The more the better. Probably will be a little harder this time of year as there isn't a ton of people at the Parks and what not. Get the pup with lots and lots of different people. Will learn in a hurry to be a well socialized friendly pet.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feed mine Purina Pro Plan. Switched from Science Diet. My lab seemed to gain a lot of weight on Science Diet. Has done much better on Pro Plan. Main ingredient in SD is corn. Main ingredient in PP is chicken. I'd stay away from food where the main ingredient is corn.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in Dickinson this weekend too, feel free to contact me. I have some nice land just south of town with a pile of cocks on it, the land owner is always great about letting me on, and he drinks ice cold Busch lights too...:;:howdy

Boy I would love to Juan. Unfortunately, I'll be at the wrestling tournament the majority of Saturday. We'll be out Friday night though. PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

Just an FYI, Kickemup and I are getting pups out of the same litter. It will be nice to know where some of the siblings went and if at all possible, let them hunt next to each other in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you get your pup socializing with everyone and anyone early on. Get it used to people. The more the better. Probably will be a little harder this time of year as there isn't a ton of people at the Parks and what not. Get the pup with lots and lots of different people. Will learn in a hurry to be a well socialized friendly pet.

No worries 3roosters. She'll be going to Christmas at the inlaws where there will be two small children. Then to my parents where there will be a 9 year old GSP and my sister in laws 3 pound yapper. My parents dog has always been awesome around puppies and other dogs. Hopefully that trend continues. Thankfully, vizsla's are already sociable dogs. Sometimes it tends to be just the owners so it's very important to me to have a friendly dog.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
We feed our Labs Taste of the Wild. We have no complaints about it at all. Labs are healthy and have great energy in the field. Plus, we have been able to swap between all the different flavors without any GI problems.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took our pup to the vet last week to get a vaccine schedule set up and asked about food recommendations. He said that as long as it says complete and balanced they are all equal. After that it comes down to what your dog likes. So after asking the question i'm still just as lost on what to feed her as i was before.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did lots of reading through many brands and ingredients, plus compared each of those brands to what the Dog Food Adviser website had for advantages/disadvantages. I then took the retail prices of each bag and divided them by the number of pounds the bags weighed to find what we're paying. If you can get the same ingredients for $1.50/lb why would you want to pay $2.06/lb? Look at what that costs over an entire year long period.

I work with highly trained dogs and have my own hunting dog. Here were the top four brands, based on price & ingredients (not in any certain order, but best bang for your buck):
1) Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover / Large Breed Adult / 30# - $1.27/lb
2) NutriSource / Large Breed / 33# - $1.48/lb
3) Canidae / All Life Stages / 30# - $1.53/lb
4) Blue Buffalo / Chicken & Brown Rice / 30# / $1.80/lb

Others that were under $2/lb: Nutro/Large Breed & Artemis Power Pro

If you look at a yearly cost factor, the Nutro will cost you $170.00 more, per year, to feed one dog.

So, I chose Chicken Soup and found it is supplied by Gold Label Feed, East Broadway, in Bismarck. But, I'd give the Canidae the #2 nod.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for doing the math, up! That hamster wheel doesn't quite turn right in my head. I read another article on a vizsla forum comparing cost of the cheaper dog foods to a more expensive but better quality food and the difference in cost of feeding per day was amazing. I think I'll stick with canidae for right now but I'll keep these others in mind.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51