Dog Trainers

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is my arm chair quarterbacking 2 cents. Marbleyez post above is spot on about being in a hunt with someone who is yelling at their dog all the time...that just tells me the dog is NOT TRAINED.
I only upland hunt now so my comments are more so for that. I think a trainer CAN be a positive...especially to start off right or rid a dog of bad habits or fine tune them..maybe bring from a "C" grade to a "B" or above. Having said that, I have never brought a dog to a trainer. I am on my 4th dog.
Like was mentioned earlier...if you have the time...well ...make the time..even 1/2 hour you should be able to bring your pup from bone headedness to at least a "C" grade in no time at all..and..with any luck..an even better grade over time.
I would recommend a few basic items for a basic do it your self training session that you will see results within a few weeks.
50ft check cord,whistle, and an electronic correction collar, preferably one with a vibrate mode.
What has worked for me is when out walking with the pup in a field(well before hunting season I might add), hook him/her up to that check cord ..then..every so often when they are out there 50 ft...blow your whistle and immediately give a tug on check cord. Proceed to do this every 5 minutes or so..whistle..then tug..whistle then tug..gets them thinking they have gone far enough and need to not go further. I also get in the habit of changing MY direction while walking so they get in the habit of looking back to make sure where I am. Then I add the e-collar and do the same thing..using correction if she doesn't listen to the whistle. You will find your student picks up on this fairly quickly...at least it has on the 4 dogs that I have owned. Then..once she has it down good after a few weeks of training..undo the check cord and on your walk abouts..keep that e collar on her and whistle when she gets out to far and correct if necessary. You will find out you have done a good job with her and don't need correction much at all. FINDING the time to do this simple but effective training will all but eliminate the need to holler at your dog as you have effectively trained your dog from being a bone head to at least a "C" grade in that she listens to the whistle and comes back. Same thing if a rabbit or deer or whatever gets up, I shout no bird and whistle.
Disclaimer: do not expect this to work after one session..you need to take and make the time.
Heck.we make time for other things..shouldn't be a problem making the time to get your dog to at least a "C" student.
My .02 anyway.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with everything you say. Having an out of control dog is not fun. Most hunting dogs if bred we'll have the nose and hunting instinct. They just need to learn how to fetch and come when told. Shock collars work wonders. I had a lab that would not do so well and when the collar went on he would listen. Didn't have to use it much but he knew it was there. I don't need a field champion. I need a dog that will stay in range and find birds and bring them to me.

Agreed. The shock collar will do wonders if it's not abused. As stated, it just takes putting it on the dog and giving them a light tick to remind them it's there. It makes for a great day of light whistles and listening to the old grass crunch.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is exactly what we are looking to do. She is getting spayed in April so we might have to wait a bit to go. I will have to give Karl a call too but what was the schedule like? Easy to get in?

Yeah, he said he was only a few weeks out at this point. I have mine going in late April, will probably head to Devils that weekend to help cope with not having him around for 2 weeks.

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
100X Retrievers is great! We will be sending our dogs there again this summer, like it has been mentioned earlier Mike and Shawnee insist that you participate in process, this is for your benefit, they treat you like family and friends. I had issues with one dog being gun shy and he has helped me through the slow process of getting her back on the right track. Highly Recommended!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
100X Retrievers is great! We will be sending our dogs there again this summer, like it has been mentioned earlier Mike and Shawnee insist that you participate in process, this is for your benefit, they treat you like family and friends. I had issues with one dog being gun shy and he has helped me through the slow process of getting her back on the right track. Highly Recommended!

Those are some might high accolades! Any trainer that involves the owner in the process of training and handling has a leg up on the competition, IMHO.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive trained a few dogs and while they were no means field trial quality if you start with a good dog it makes life easier. With the English Cockers that I have done i didnt use a shock collar and it went good with my labs I have used a collar for my last one and for the pup i am working with right now we started using the collar here the other night and he is only 5 months old but so far is responding well.

Obedience is key a trainer that i used to shoot trap league with always said that good obedience is 95% of the hunting training you will need the rest of it will come fairly naturally.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be sending our dog to Karl at Ivy League for two weeks at the end of April/beginning of May. I also talked with 100x retrievers and thought they seemed like a very good choice as well. Just came down to location for me. Like FishSticks said, it will be a weird two weeks not having her at home.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: It was a long two weeks without Big Bernie in the house but I just picked him up from Ivy League today so life can go back to normal. The dog learned a lot there and it was really fun watching him go through the drills with Karl, especially the live bird stuff. Got to spend a few hours working with Bernie and Karl on the drills we have to continue to do throughout the summer before hunting season. I am also planning on introducing him to the whistle and a few duck drills as well. Highly recommend this guy, he really impressed me.

- - - Updated - - -

Dog Training 1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Dog Training 2.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
what a cutie

- - - Updated - - -

Well our pup is growing like a weed and we are starting to look into trainers to send her to. She's just over 5 months old now and so far we've been concentrating on basic obedience but I would like to get her into a hunting trainer in the coming months. What are some trainers that you guys have worked with or have heard good things about?IMG_4089.jpg

nice lookin dog

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update on Nova: We picked her up after a 3 week stint with Karl @ Ivy League. She was scheduled to spend two weeks with him but due to excessive wind making field work difficult and her hatred of the e-collar he asked to keep her for an extra week (at no charge) because he didn't feel he had gotten the best out of her. We went down to visit and bring her more food at the end of the second week and he showed us where she was at with a few drills. At that point she had definitely learned quite a bit. I really noticed a big difference from week 2 to week 3. He goes through all of the drills with you and gives you material to take home so you don't have to worry about remembering everything he is telling you. I am looking forward to continuing the drills he has started with her. He is only about 20 minutes out of the way for us when going to the lake so she may spend a weekend or two with him later this summer.

Overall I give Karl an A+. Very friendly guy and you can tell he really loves these dogs.

Also, It was pretty awesome seeing how crazy she got when he said "find it" after he had planted the live birds. Its a good feeling knowing she is excited about hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31