Drones - NDGF laws

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the latest on using them to scout for trespassers, scout prey for hunting, etc.? My brother recently bought a pretty expensive one ($1000s).

Can we use it to "investigate" when we hear shooting on our property?

No freakin way should they be legal for hunting though IMO. Please discuss. I suppose if we were sconi-typical weasels we could say we heard shooting, sent the drone out, and coincidentally saw a monster buck... that we then shot 20 minutes later.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing I could find on a quick search was the following

HB 1381 – Prohibits a drone from being used to intentionally harass hunters and anglers. Passed House 93-0. Passed Senate 47-0.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
what about the hot neighbor chick this summer getting her tan on? can a guy just fly these babies wherever he see's some talent?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be ok with them if they followed the same rule as people flying an area (24 hours I think after you fly?) Hard rule to enforce though.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the latest on using them to scout for trespassers, scout prey for hunting, etc.? My brother recently bought a pretty expensive one ($1000s).

Can we use it to "investigate" when we hear shooting on our property?

No freakin way should they be legal for hunting though IMO. Please discuss. I suppose if we were sconi-typical weasels we could say we heard shooting, sent the drone out, and coincidentally saw a monster buck... that we then shot 20 minutes later.

Darn good question!!...first drones...I wonder how long it will be before Game Warden George Jetson and his dog Astro suiting up and spying on us from over head. Serious

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think drones should be outfitted to be used to find how many deer are in each unit before deer lottery has been drawn. NDGF can put radio collars on selected numbers to be used for when locating herds during winter season.

- - - Updated - - -

At least that what I was hoping the name of th topic was about:;:howdy

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think drones should be outfitted to be used to find how many deer are in each unit before deer lottery has been drawn. NDGF can put radio collars on selected numbers to be used for when locating herds during winter season.

- - - Updated - - -

At least that what I was hoping the name of th topic was about:;:howdy

there is no place for logical reasoning on this website...

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think about a drone with thermal imaging camera. Imagine the videos a guy could put together showing what deer/pheasants/yotes do when you walk heavy cover. I know, very unsporting from a hunting standpoint, but the curiosity really gets me.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
scouting prey for hunting, shooting monster buck in 20 minutes? wouldn't that be the same thing because if I was flying that thing around checking on stuff and did see a monster buck yea I would just forget about it. NOT o the possibilities. another thing to consider is if I'm hunting on your land illegal and you send that (1000s) dollar machine out to check what stops me from shooting it down. I know I would be worried about that. guywhoconfusedaboutdrones

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
scouting prey for hunting, shooting monster buck in 20 minutes? wouldn't that be the same thing because if I was flying that thing around checking on stuff and did see a monster buck yea I would just forget about it. NOT o the possibilities. another thing to consider is if I'm hunting on your land illegal and you send that (1000s) dollar machine out to check what stops me from shooting it down. I know I would be worried about that. guywhoconfusedaboutdrones

I'm confused by your post

A guy would have to be a crack shot and awful reckless to shoot down a drone with a deer rifle. If you don't connect your a$$ is still in trouble for reckless endangerment (caught on film), attempting to destroy property, the warden comes right away cuz drone owner is on the phone pronto, you just went from simple trespassing to quite a bit worse IMO.

If you do connect the drone owner still calls it in pronto, warden comes, you likely get busted anyway and the drone-killing video is still likely on memory chip - unless you shoot like God.

and yes - they are the same thing... that's my point of my statements... how would anyone police the good vs. bad use of drones?

WAY too easy to bend rules - even when starting out with honest intent - too tempting if you see buck of a lifetime while scouting for bad guys as an example.

- - - Updated - - -

Think about a drone with thermal imaging camera. Imagine the videos a guy could put together showing what deer/pheasants/yotes do when you walk heavy cover. I know, very unsporting from a hunting standpoint, but the curiosity really gets me.

you know what curiosity did to the cat

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
you would be hovering not that hard and how good is that video. if you don't think that would happen in Sconi land OK

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
  • It is illegal to use all types of aircraft, manned or unmanned, for spotting game 72 hours prior to and during the hunting season. A licensee cannot hunt the same day they are airborne over their hunting unit, except on a scheduled passenger airline flight. It is illegal to drive, concentrate, rally, raise, stir up or disturb game with all types of aircraft, manned or unmanned.
  • i would assume a drone would be clasified as an unmanned aircraft

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyeer its not that u could set up for them noisey bastages you can hear them a mile away. I'm with you on that one I like peace and quiet when doing the outdoor things

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think one fitted with a small gun to roll in on a snow goose's 6 with would be highly unethical but pretty effing fun.

Joking aside, I would rather they stay out of hunting with the possible exception of locating a wounded/down animal and still then, less than thrilled.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41