Dusty Truck Box

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seal tailgate and plug holes in box or like guy above and what I do bed rug take out once year and power wash inside I have topper too very little dust. Park with front end up when washing out works great. To many crooks so I lock tailgate and topper put if they really want to break glass to get in they can. I cover everything with blankets never an issue so far

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
@guywhofishes

I routinely have blood from game in the bed of my truck, which I then hose/wash down.
How do you handle that with the Bed Rug?

I take a cheap tarp along for deer etc. - or tub for birds

But - they're velcro'd in so a person can remove them and pressure wash them

I've not done it (take bedrug out) in the 5 years I've owned it so can't speak to PITA factor of removal - darn stuff still looks clean - there's likely a 1/4 of dust at bottom of bed but carpet looks clean save for pine needles from xmas trees

I did use velcro feature to get to things like the backup camera though - easy peasy.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't spilled a bucket of rank minnows or anything yet - ha ha

I'm really careful with any potential stench-making or sticky liquids - I secure buckets and coolers where spilled liquid might cause issues

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sluggo, I know that you've mentioned this before. I haven't seen how dusty your truck gets.

I guess I lucked out. My 2014 Silverado with a tonneau cover is pretty good for dust. I haven't ever noticed a problem. That red Sierra that I had, had seals on the bottom and sides of the tailgate, and maybe I was just lucky, but that one wasn't dusty either. I never owned THAT truck without the tailgate seals, so I can't compare, but those seals seemed to do the trick.

I know too, there are usually some sort of drainage holes in the floor of the bed, near the cab. I wonder if that's not where the dust is coming in.

The 50 feet of gravel between south Bismarck and the Heskett fishing area is not enough to notice the problem.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I take a cheap tarp along for deer etc. - or tub for birds

But - they're velcro'd in so a person can remove them and pressure wash them

I've not done it (take bedrug out) in the 5 years I've owned it so can't speak to PITA factor of removal - darn stuff still looks clean - there's likely a 1/4 of dust at bottom of bed but carpet looks clean save for pine needles from xmas trees

I did use velcro feature to get to things like the backup camera though - easy peasy.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't spilled a bucket of rank minnows or anything yet - ha ha

I'm really careful with any potential stench-making or sticky liquids - I secure buckets and coolers where spilled liquid might cause issues

Let me take a wild guess #guywhoisjerryrigking...secure as with your unlimited supply of bunji chords right? sorry guy had to...

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20211215-102114.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My father-in-law installed these box extensions on his truck to allow his ice house to fit under the tonneau cover. The air intakes on the box extensions pressurizes the truck box and eliminates dust under the cover. No sealing is required. Works awesome.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My father-in-law installed these box extensions on his truck to allow his ice house to fit under the tonneau cover. The air intakes on the box extensions pressurizes the truck box and eliminates dust under the cover. No sealing is required. Works awesome.

Are you saying that those openings on the extension are facing forward which, when driving down the road, pushes air through them into the box whereby forcing air OUT of the box so rather than sucking dirt in, it is pushing air out?

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes sir.

Are you saying that those openings on the extension are facing forward which, when driving down the road, pushes air through them into the box whereby forcing air OUT of the box so rather than sucking dirt in, it is pushing air out?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What if you are traveling behind another vehicle who is making a cloud of dust in their wake?

Wouldn't that dusty air be pulled into the box with those openings?

?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dust is part of the rural experience, acceptance is soulful

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dusty air does not collect in the truck box while following vehicles.

What if you are traveling behind another vehicle who is making a cloud of dust in their wake?

Wouldn't that dusty air be pulled into the box with those openings?

?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Slow the f down and get out of his dust. :;:smokin

I get that.:;:smokin Duh,,

What I was getting to is what if you meet someone hauling a## towards you.

Do you pull over, close all of your vents, etc. Wait 39 minutes for all of the dust to settle and then proceed? :;:muahaha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33