Electrc vehicles~

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
flywheel systems have been in use in various forms for energy storage for quite some time. they help conserve some of the energy lost when braking or coasting. i believe the electric vehicles on the market today actually use the drive shaft(s) to continue spinning the electric motor(s) which will generate electricity back to the battery(s) when its not being sought by the motor for propulsion purposes... so, whilst braking or coasting. nonetheless, whether former or latter, they all result in net energy loss in the system.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a hard time believing that someone can't come up with a on board charge that charges the battery's as there driving down the road. All gas and diesel have a alternator that charges the battery. Should be someway to capture it on the wheels as they go around. I know Tesla charges when applying the brake.

The person would be filthy rich that came up with the charging system.

You are going to lose energy (power) every time you convert from one type of energy to another. Driving down the road you are turning stored electric energy into mechanical energy(motion). You can’t conserve energy 100%. You could recharge the batteries with a fuel generator but that defeats the purpose of an electric car. You can use hydrogen electrical generation but hydrogen will never be cheap enough to compete. You have to create the hydrogen through a very intensive process that cannot be improved in efficiency ~50% to get hydrogen. Then you have to store and transport the hydrogen until you put it into a car. The process of taking the hydrogen and making electricity is another energy conversion you will lose energy with. Might as well stick with batteries because even Elon Musk thinks hydrogen is a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

I still think a very small turbine engine powering a hybrid charging system obviously directly off the output shaft but then also capture the heat as well.

The Google-Machine says you need 4-5HP to run a 100Amp alternator. More Google-Machine magic says here’s a 50HP turbine footprint and weight spec:

50HP would drive 500-700 Amps of charging easily. The engine listed above uses ~3Gal/hr of Jet A. That’s the equivalent of ~26-27 MPG @ 80MPH. Now, figure you don’t need the turbine-charger on anywhere close to all the time.

Someone smarter than me (not saying much) probably has a good reason why they’re not doing this already.
This is how train locomotives work. The Diesel engines run a generator that powered the electric motors. It must not be as efficient with vehicle transportation. Some of the new hybrids might use a similar system but I haven’t looked into it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I laugh when your beloved GM and Ford are “all in” on EV’s. Remember the super bowl ads from your favorite vehicle manufacturers. And it gets even better when GM and Ford are in bed with Biden.

- - - Updated - - -

GM and Ford can make EV’s in Mexico to that will really up the quality .

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We are all screw with the EV. Maybe one day but when i watch the Chevy ad for their EV truck, yea right that will work for all the pu drivers up here. Cannot image a farmer getting one for his work vehicle. db

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I laugh when your beloved GM and Ford are “all in” on EV’s. Remember the super bowl ads from your favorite vehicle manufacturers. And it gets even better when GM and Ford are in bed with Biden.

- - - Updated - - -

GM and Ford can make EV’s in Mexico to that will really up the quality .

Agreed,keep in mind the GM powertrain both engine and litieum battery comes from china.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cannot image a farmer getting one for his work vehicle. db

They plug in their diesel every night so they can drive to coffee at Cenex and then snoop around on what all the neighbors are doing. Why not just plug in an EV every night. I'm clearly joking, but as far as guys that don't have livestock, most have their dedicated 20 year old pickup for moving small machinery and driving to and from the field and then they have their $80,000 yard princess to drive to church and the basketball game! May as well save some fuel costs with the yard princess. Gotta plug it in half the year anyways.

Again, I'm mostly joking and poking the bear. An EV pickup would never, at least in the near future, work for myself and almost everyone on here simply because of the cold weather but also how remote most of us live.

edit: as far as GM and Ford in bed with Biden, check out some of the tweets Elon Musk has had on the matter. He's been roasting the white house because they fail to acknowledge the pretty amazing things telsa is doing in regards to US jobs and investing as well as innovation. He won't step in line so they don't even give him a seat at the table and he's letting them hear about it. 968744FD-CC4E-4CEA-A683-ACFD13BE94EA.jpg

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
not positive. but, i assume they use diesel to power electric in trains cause of the extreme torque provided by electric motors. they are willing to live with the inefficiencies of converting one to the other rather than just attempting to use the former for the extra torque that is provided.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Steam has as much torque as electric. What use to power the trains and tractors of old.
Those old steam Case tractors can out pull any new tractor. I think their torque was 1000 before they even got started.

So maybe steam power. Hugh magnifying lens to heat water when sitting with some kind of supplement heat.
My elector set from the fifties has a steam engine to run my Ferris wheel. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If i build this disk bigger, maybe 20 feet and then get a bigger motor, to power a generator with electricity to heat the water and made the steam.
Should work like clockwork.
This motor also powers my Ferris wheel. db

Attachments

DSC00110.jpg

NodakBob

Honored Member
i always wondered why nobody made a diesel-electric semi similar to the trains drivetrain but smaller...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
i always wondered why nobody made a diesel-electric semi similar to the trains drivetrain but smaller...

I think the reason trains use diesel-electric power is more to do with the difficulty of making a clutch/transmission that can handle the load you see with a half-mile of fully loaded box cars. At least that's what someone who drives a train once told me.

A diesel-electric powerplant on a semi makes less sense since we can build durable transmissions for them, this way there's no energy lost in converting fossil fuel over to electricity.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

And there is another story of diesel generator being hooked up to the wind turbines because they don't make enough power.
I will try to find it again

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member

And there is another story of diesel generator being hooked up to the wind turbines because they don't make enough power.
I will try to find it again

The new plan is not to make us all drive electric vehicles…… it is to force all of us into big cities where they can control us and make us walk or ride a bike everywhere. Public transportation is the solution to take away our polluting cars!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of our biggest freedoms is that we can get in any old car and go wherever we want, fairly cheap. JP talks about it in one of his many videos. They're trying to change that.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of our biggest freedoms is that we can get in any old car and go wherever we want, fairly cheap. JP talks about it in one of his many videos. They're trying to change that.
Only the rich will be able to have that freedom all in the name of climate change!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the average price of the new pickups being what it is, how in the hell can Ford be losing money?

I may have to wait for them to go bankrupt in order to afford a new truck.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
this might just shut ford chevy and dodge down when people dont buy there ev?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70