elk pack out

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0967.jpg

7 days and counting. There is a bull out there with my name on it. He just doesn't know it yet.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's something you might want to keep in mind. We always used to pack the head upside down so the points on the rack were below the hips and away from your head incase you stumble or fall. They will put some holes or gashes in you quicker than you would believe.

Another thing I always stress in my hunter ed classes is to tie a lot of 3-4' strips of bright flaggers tape to the rack so everyone can see it and not mistake you for an elk and shoot you.

Did you ever mention where you were going?

Friend had a tine go into his inside leg by his nuts on a fall. Barely missed the artery......coulda been bad.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
8000 will be the highest we can get so at least we wont be way up there

Ya the elevation in Idaho doesn't kill you, it's the rough terrain. Got a new rifle, pack, sleeping bag and tent. Weighed everything including water and food for two night spike trips. Looks like I'm around 35 pounds.

dirtytough

I usually go as heavy as possible. I've done a couple of elk in one trip solo. A couple in 2 trips solo. Two guys one trip, three guys one trip etc. Never with camp though. Furthest from the truck was 7 miles which I did in two trips. Just depends on how good of shape I'm in.

Good luck this year.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have loaded elk meat so heavy that if I sat down, even on a chair high rock the other guys had to help me get on my feet. Once on my feet I was good to go. Glad it was usually down hill. You don't feel that until the next day when the back of your legs fall off.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya the elevation in Idaho doesn't kill you, it's the rough terrain. Got a new rifle, pack, sleeping bag and tent. Weighed everything including water and food for two night spike trips. Looks like I'm around 35 pounds.

i loaded stuff up a little while back and was at right around 53 that was with 5 days food and water.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually go as heavy as possible. I've done a couple of elk in one trip solo. A couple in 2 trips solo. Two guys one trip, three guys one trip etc. Never with camp though. Furthest from the truck was 7 miles which I did in two trips. Just depends on how good of shape I'm in.

Good luck this year.

He-Man? Is that you?

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just weighed my 8 day pack - 52# without my bow or any water.

My pack to spike in 3 days into the badlands is just over 30 pounds. Again, no bow and water included here.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
My father in law says a person trying to carry to much on one trip is lazy, according to his coal miner dad; my reply is a man making too many trips lacks ambition. Look forward to the post trip report, good luck and have a safe trip.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88