elk pack out

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
As most others have said, I definitely wouldn't try and get camp and an elk back in 1 load. I think once a guy starts pushing the 80-100 pound mark, the risk of short/long term injury goes way up.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We were there last year that's how I know mules won't work. No trails and to steep

I've watched mules go some unbelievable places with no trails.

One year met a fella packed out an elk and his camp on two lamas.........20 degree nights............might have dual use.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I will say is GOOD LUCK!

It sounds like quite the adventure and that's what it's all about when it comes right down to it. A person can always buy meat for way less in the store, and there are plenty of slightly used elk mounts as well. The one thing that you can't get anywhere else though is the adventure and tall tales.

Super damn jealous!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've watched mules go some unbelievable places with no trails.

One year met a fella packed out an elk and his camp on two lamas.........20 degree nights............might have dual use.

;:;rofl

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot a bull last year, 3 of us packed it out of the hell hole it decided to drop into. It went sliding down the side of the mountain until it finally hit a few tree's that held him up. It was an "adventure" to say the least. Cutting and quartering with everything sliding, wielding a Havalon in my hand. We had to pack it out just under 2 miles to the horses. From the horses it's right at 6 miles to camp. Got the elk packed out down to my horse, loaded it on and walked him to the trailhead. Had my gear plus a few things of another guys in my pack with the head strapped to my pack on the walk out. Needless to say I pretty much collapsed in the chair when I got back to camp..

I will tell you it's amazing how much meat you can get in a family members $30 Scheels special backpack before the stitching lets go. Glad his birthday is coming up before we head back out this fall again.....

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have packed more than one elk out of the mountains. If I would ever do it again I would take a large cast iron skillet with and just set down and eat him.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is awesome here the stories and great advice from guys that have got it done . It is going to take forever for october to get here but this is a fun way to pass the time

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I HATE packing out meat/elk/whatever. Hopefully Kurt's in good shape. I know he is. I've packed out a big bull including cape and antlers in two trips with two guys and that sucked balls. I know you're in good shape but more lighter trips is the way to go. I've been deep into Wyoming and seriously considered faking a heart attack the prospect of hiking out sucked so bad. Ha ha. Like anything, one step in front of the other and see if you can go foreward.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I HATE packing out meat/elk/whatever. Hopefully Kurt's in good shape. I know he is. I've packed out a big bull including cape and antlers in two trips with two guys and that sucked balls. I know you're in good shape but more lighter trips is the way to go. I've been deep into Wyoming and seriously considered faking a heart attack the prospect of hiking out sucked so bad. Ha ha. Like anything, one step in front of the other and see if you can go foreward.

hopefully we have a few to pack out this year:;:cheers then go have a few wobbly man beers. I havent been able to find them any where around here going to stock up when we go back.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We can get in great physical shape but the altitude is what does in us flatlanders, just not enough oxygen in that thin shit. I know, been there at 11,000 ft and gapping like a dam catfish out of water.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
8000 will be the highest we can get so at least we wont be way up there

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knowing that decisions that you make really matter and trying to survive using the little woodsman ship i do have. Its adventure same as guys climbing Mt Everest. Its hard to give a why as every ones why is different. In my mind its just important to have a why that makes you happy. I saw a quote from a book the other day and thought it was pretty good.

"doing the movements- the degree/the debt, the office job,the pension, the mortgage, waking up every day hating a job you have to work to support the house you didnt really want to buy and the degree you didnt really use for the pension you'll never use becasue you'll get a disease from your misery and die before you can enjoy it isnt living"

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
believe me... I get it

except the extreme ligament/joint torture

that makes no sense to a vert-skating 54 year old

ha!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
this is the one mule deer with the eberle x1/a1 way over loaded . The head cape both fronts boned, back straps and part of one hind. plus all the gear i think i need to bring that i really dont but lessons learned the hard way are remembered.

b7d229db1e1b049654b85d3d0c1de144_width-600.jpg

Here's something you might want to keep in mind. We always used to pack the head upside down so the points on the rack were below the hips and away from your head incase you stumble or fall. They will put some holes or gashes in you quicker than you would believe.

Another thing I always stress in my hunter ed classes is to tie a lot of 3-4' strips of bright flaggers tape to the rack so everyone can see it and not mistake you for an elk and shoot you.

Did you ever mention where you were going?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idaho just east of hells canyon. I would have done the deer different knowing what I do now and having proper gear. I had that thing tied on there with para cord

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88