elk pack out

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also its not like i have been sitting on the couch hitting the busch lites and then expecting to jump up and hit the mountains. This has been a year long endeavor since coming home last year of training refining the diet and doing the best i can to physically be ready.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very few people ACTUALLY go that far back without some form of four leg or motorized transportation. If you're going that far back in rough terrain, I would urge you to consider the use of pack horses. The GPS doesn't lie, so if it only says 2-4 miles, man up and do it in two.

- - - Updated - - -

If we had to do it in one I would guess in the 125 ish range which sucks as I did it just to feel it this summer. 90 pounds is kinda the range it goes from hard to complete suck for me. I weighed the packs on a scale to make sure I was not exaggerating. This is with a Kifaru duplex frame and rekoning bag. The terrain though is the part I can not match out here. The only reason to go heavy would be if we kill late in the trip no grizzly out there.

A boned out elk will yield roughly 300lbs of meat. Unless you're going ultra light, you're looking at no less than 175-200lbs with two guys and camp. Save yourself the misery and make a few trips....or hired a packer if you're actually that far in.

I should also note that I'm not trying to be negative, or deter you in anyway. Most people's thoughts and expectations differ greatly from what they are actually capable of doing.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also its not like i have been sitting on the couch hitting the busch lites and then expecting to jump up and hit the mountains. This has been a year long endeavor since coming home last year of training refining the diet and doing the best i can to physically be ready.

admirable

probably on the bat#### crazy side of admirable though - hee hee

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't hunt (I fish) so I have nothing to offer but just wanted to say that this thread is very interesting to read. I am somewhat jealous of the adventures being described here. Good luck, Kurtr and I can't wait to hear the story(s) later this year!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
idaho snipe paint.jpg So i figured a picture which really does no justice to how steep it is would help. If we hired a packer they would pack roughly 3/4 of a mile if that back to the trail head.

what have most guys yielded for meat seems that 30-35% is the numbers i have seen. So say you get an average bull at 700 pounds and you clean the ribs and every thing off really good you would end up with 245 pounds of meat. add another 60 for head and cape you would be pushing the 300 mark. 2 trips each is what i will kinda plan for but we all know how plans work when stuff hits the ground in the real world

- - - Updated - - -

hard to read upper left hand is trail head and just north of the pin that says camp is prospective camp position that right there on the gps is 3.1 mile in

- - - Updated - - -

I don't hunt (I fish) so I have nothing to offer but just wanted to say that this thread is very interesting to read. I am somewhat jealous of the adventures being described here. Good luck, Kurtr and I can't wait to hear the story(s) later this year!

you are 100% right it is the adventure that has gotten me addicted to being out there.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone run! There's a giant shitcloud coming!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having packed out elk in some pretty steep areas for myself and others, I have to agree with what's been said in regards to 2 guys plus camp isn't a one tripper unless you're Andre the Giant. That said, you seem pretty well versed in backcountry elk hunting, what have you done in past years when you downed one in regards to a few mega loads or several moderates?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hauled some deer is all and that was in eberlestock packs and wasnt fun but not the worst ever and not in country as rough as out there. I just wanted the opinions of others who have done it. Hoping to get it done this year and know what it feels like to haul an elk out. Having been there last year i have a good idea but till actually doing it thats just all assumptions.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt you seem like an ambitious guy. It might be too late for this year but next year get yourself 4-5 of these guys....

Pack-goats.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you get done are you going to celebrate with a quart of Irish cream and a pack of Marb reds?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt you seem like an ambitious guy. It might be too late for this year but next year get yourself 4-5 of these guys....

7c54882dcf79a672051bfd125b803d2f.jpg

I have done a bunch of reading and i have an acre of grass i mow i think i would give them a try but got that idea nixed by the wife. Also lamas seem really interesting to. Maybe in a few years when the kid is old enough to go if it is his idea mama always goes with it.

this is the one mule deer with the eberle x1/a1 way over loaded . The head cape both fronts boned, back straps and part of one hind. plus all the gear i think i need to bring that i really dont but lessons learned the hard way are remembered.

muley haul.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

When you get done are you going to celebrate with a quart of Irish cream and a pack of Marb reds?

zima with jolly ranchers and winstons

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rule #1. Don't shoot a dink far from the road.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
any legal elk i have a chance at i will kill . Horns are cool and all but there is more to it now than just killing. I guess every one has there reasons and mine have evolved as i have grown older. I was happy it was my biggest mule deer to date and impressing others is not why i hunt.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you are on the right track. And it can't be overstated how much those trekking poles help on a heavy haul. Helps with balance and especially helps your knees and footing while on uneven ground or stepping over blow down. Can lean on them as well when taking a break, use as shooting sticks, Pitch biveys/tarps if you have them, all around an extremely valuable tool.

My first question is how many guys will be helping with the pack out and how capable? In my opinion, 3 guys who know how to haul could do a whole elk + their camps. Should they? Depends. If you are packing to the truck and have supplies at that location, then leave camp on the mountain and hike back the following day empty if you have additional hunting to do. If you have 4 guys helping, I see no issue doing an elk in one trip. Fairly easy when each guy grabs a quarter. I've personally hauled camp and half an elk before(multiple times). Two rear quarters and straps, and its not easy, but do able. Avoid if it possible. It all comes down to how many hands you have like others have stated. If its all hands on deck, you can all load lighter, move quicker, and be back on the hunt faster than if you only two guys try and handle the elk. Those two guys will be shot, and need some recovery before another hard pack. 4 guys should be able to crank it out and get back on the mountain fairly quickly. My advice is to limit the downtime between successful hunts, to increase your chances of getting another elk. A week goes by quick on the mountain especially after a kill.

Not sure on your gear, but since you said any legal elk will suffice, I would leave the spotter at home. Focus on the necessities and dont bring a bunch of extra crap you wont use or slow you down. Binos, two sharp knives (no saw, not needed), hopefully you have a water filter so you dont have to haul all the weight, your camping gear (tent, pad, bag, stove), game bags, and you should be set.

Good luck on your hunt, hope you whack n stack.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A boned out elk will yield roughly 300lbs of meat.

Maybe a huge bull will. Cows, spikes, and rag horns are ~1/2 that or less. I've killed 10 elk (2 were cows in the TRNP reduction). I've never had an elk boned out that wouldn't easily fit in a 120Qt cooler with some ice, and never had that cooler weigh anywhere close to 200# let alone 300#. I admittedly don't get every scrap off of the neck nor the stuff between the ribs. I'd guess 10-15# of neck meat left behind on the very high side and I get quarters/straps out pretty clean.

Elk are not armor plated, nor does their muscle density rival that of lead. I've never killed an elk in the super "steep and deep" stuff, but I can't imagine any real issue getting one out in 2 trips with 2 hunters who are in reasonably good shape.

If this is going to be a regular trip, I'd be budgeting for a Barrett Fieldcraft ASAP as well. Make that 13# rifle sit home and take one that's <7# all up.

Last edited:

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2 trips per hunter times 2 men is doable. You will not split a bull between 2 of you in one trip. I have packed bulls with a friend of mine where he took two loads and I took one as I stayed behind to cape and bone while he made first trip. This was awful tough on the knees. I would recommend going with 2 trips per person with two of you and leave your camp until your done packing your elk and go back and get it after your done. If you cant take mules and horses in the country your hunting then you should recognize a over-loaded pack can be a free ride off a ledge or maybe a knee surgery. Don't try to impress anyone by overloading your packs impress your family by returning safe with a few coolers of elk meat. To all those over 40 take an aspirin a day on these hunts as it can save your life. Believe me I went through open heart 3 bypass surgery and was awful lucky I caught the signs. I have known too many guys that have had massive heart attacks in these situations.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a huge bull will. Cows, spikes, and rag horns are ~1/2 that or less. I've killed 10 elk (2 were cows in the TRNP reduction). I've never had an elk boned out that wouldn't easily fit in a 120Qt cooler with some ice, and never had that cooler weigh anywhere close to 200# let alone 300#. I admittedly don't get every scrap off of the neck nor the stuff between the ribs. I'd guess 10-15# of neck meat left behind on the very high side and I get quarters/straps out pretty clean.

Elk are not armor plated, nor does their muscle density rival that of lead. I've never killed an elk in the super "steep and deep" stuff, but I can't imagine any real issue getting one out in 2 trips with 2 hunters who are in reasonably good shape.

If this is going to be a regular trip, I'd be budgeting for a Barrett Fieldcraft ASAP as well. Make that 13# rifle sit home and take one that's <7# all up.

that is on the list of next years upgrade if i spend any more money on gear this year there is going to be a yard sale following my funeral.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88