expandable garden hose

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr picked me up one of these a few years back, it lasted 2 seasons. It came apart at the brass end and was not repairable.
I did like it and think I would like another, however which one is the longer lasting one?

50ft of hose is what I am looking for, and more than a couple years of dependability.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife bought the 75 footer but only have a few weeks on it so far it is alot handier than a regular hose

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a 50' DAP hose that I picked up at menards. Brass ends and included a valve. Seems to be fairly heavy duty and it shrinks up nice and small. I went to get another and I couldn't find them anywhere. Picked up a cheapo 75' at Sams Club. It has brass colored plastic ends and does not shrink up like the DAP one does. I don't see that lasting very long. At that point I will be ordering another DAP one.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
bought a few at the home show two years ago. most only lasted a few days.

krafish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have returned 4- 75 footers to Sam's this week. Three leaked and didn't take the forth out of the box.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife bought me a cheapo from walmart, cant remember the brand but it is green with black plastic ends. it does leak and like many have said I cant see it lasting more than a few years. That being said, I still don't know why I don't own about 6 more of these handy hoses. My garden is 70-80 ft from the nearest water source and for the last 8 years I had been dragging a 100 ft (supposedly) kink free (yeah right) hose out and back every time I have to mow. When you turn the water off it literally winds itself up. damn good invention, just have to make sure you get the right brand, as apparently mine is not dap brand.....

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a 50' DAP hose that I picked up at menards. Brass ends and included a valve. Seems to be fairly heavy duty and it shrinks up nice and small. I went to get another and I couldn't find them anywhere. Picked up a cheapo 75' at Sams Club. It has brass colored plastic ends and does not shrink up like the DAP one does. I don't see that lasting very long. At that point I will be ordering another DAP one.

Think ours is DAP as well, works great.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
are you guys bleeding the pressure off when your not using them ? If you fill a hose or any line with cold water and close the valve you will build pressure when the water warms up and expands. It's unreal the pressures you can build.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife bought me a cheapo from walmart, cant remember the brand but it is green with black plastic ends. it does leak and like many have said I cant see it lasting more than a few years. That being said, I still don't know why I don't own about 6 more of these handy hoses. My garden is 70-80 ft from the nearest water source and for the last 8 years I had been dragging a 100 ft (supposedly) kink free (yeah right) hose out and back every time I have to mow. When you turn the water off it literally winds itself up. damn good invention, just have to make sure you get the right brand, as apparently mine is not dap brand.....

why not bury a line then you only have to blow it in the fall

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 75 footer at Sam's. Ran maybe 50 gallons through it. Leaks in two places. Going back next week. Flexizalla is the only way to go. Much lighter than other premium hoses. It does kink but a quick snap takes care of that. Menards has them.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the convenience, but rarely do they last a season. Would be nice if the price reflected the terrible quality. Bought one from menards that blew up like a cartoon hose that was being plugged.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife bought a couple. I think they're pretty cool. I caught one with the snow blower, and I'm still finding sections of hose.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
why not bury a line then you only have to blow it in the fall

That's a pretty good idea for a long term solution, but I'm hoping were not in this home too much longer. great house, but our second turd maker will be here any day and these kids eat up space in a hurry. A guy can never have too much living area for giant pink play castles ya know

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They look like they would work good for a wash down hose in a boat. Regular garden hose is a pain and it never stays coiled up neat.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe we have an "expandable garden hose" thread and no one's cracked any dirty jokes. Not sure if I should be disappointed or impressed.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe we have an "expandable garden hose" thread and no one's cracked any dirty jokes. Not sure if I should be disappointed or impressed.

It seems the older I get the less expandable it gets and it coils up more than it used to. . . .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75