Favorite late season hunting pant

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drakkar.jpeg

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry to derail this enlightened conservation back to the original question, but I put in another vote for the Prana Zion. Best pants out there for low brush outdoor activities. Assuming that you will be badlands hunting and hunting out of a pack, they are the most practical and affordable option IMO. The built in belt is a HUGE plus for backpack comfort, especially once your start getting over 60 lbs. Pair them with a merino base while moving and a puffy for glassing (the most underrated piece of hunting gear there is) and you are in business. I finally broke down and bought the KUIU base bottom this year which zip off and that feature alone is worth every penny. You can just use your rain gear to cut the wind so no reason for a suffocating late season-specific pant.

Got pinned by some rams a couple weeks ago and spent the night on the mtn with this exact system. My nalgene was frozen solid and I was still warm so I would feel comfortable running similar for November in ND.

Brush pants for everything else non-backpack associated. But as I touched on above, the belt and belt loops on brush pants and jeans are a real PITA and will cut your trip short after carrying a heavy pack for a few days.

And gators almost always. Outdoor research rocky mountain high gators have made it several seasons for me.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hikers/Mountain climbers left hunters in the dust about 2 decades ago regarding advancements in clothing and base layers to keep you dry, warm/cool (as required), and comfortable.

For the "I kill just as much in my jeans/carharts" crowd, you probably do, but, the guy wearing Sitka Timberline's and Gaitors on that 25 degree still day with 3-4" of fresh powder will be dry and comfy from the knees down while you thaw and re-freeze several times throughout the day and end up wet to your crotch as the water creeps up the cotton. The wetness from your jeans will also likely pass into your socks and work it's way down your feet making it feel like your boots leaked as well.

It's all fun and games until you have to put that wet shit back on the next day.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typically how long do pants treated with DWR last before noticeable leakage?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typically how long do pants treated with DWR last before noticeable leakage?

DWR doesn't really leak because it's not "water-proof". DWR will bead a little drizzle, dew, or flurry but if you're out in the wet long enough the DWR garment will eventually allow moisture to soak in and you're going to be wet without something truly "waterproof"

DWR can be regenerated LOTS of times by getting the garment soaking wet and then drying with a little heat. Ground-in dirt, oils, greasy stuff is the death-blow to DWR.

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to wonder how a discussion about pants could go on for 6 pages.... I don’t wonder about stuff like that anymore. I love this site

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
somebody put a ring on that gal

- - - Updated - - -

where do you find some of the stuff you put on here. HA HA HA

whatever you do - especially if you are at work or have even a touch of homophobia like me - do not google "naked hunter"

- - - Updated - - -

DO. NOT.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
She got roasted on instagram the dumb shut people do with animals is crazy. But a ring on it he’ll no tht bitch looks like she would hold you down and lay the hate.

@makehuntinggreatagain is fun

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decided on the KUIU Talus pant. I like the idea of the water-resistance in the legs and seat area, built in knee pads, and hip vents. This pant reminds me of the Sitka Timberline a lot, with what I would consider some refinements. Have not field tested, but initial thoughts is this could be one of the best late season hunting pants made.

Why I think it will be better than the Timberline: Hip vents, knee pads more comfortable, and material is quieter. Only downfall I could see would be if you have tree trunks for legs, as the fit seems to be more athletic.

Will post another review after I try them out in the field. As of right now I would definitely recommend these pants for late season western hunting.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always worn the brown colored jeans with the brush buster buster fronts. If gets cold I wear long johns under. Perfect for many conditions but not wet ones. Have flirted with purchasing a quality pair. I am a neanderthal when it comes to shopping. I am also a bigger dude and can't seem to find fit anywhere. Not big around so much but long. (thats what she said) Anyway I would like a pair of pants that would lighter weight and waterproof or at least resistant. Something I could wear all season though. So not too hot in early fall but warm in colder conditions. So I guess I can layer. Something that has large size range? I am 6'6 250. So a 38wx36L I would wear for all hunting. Waterfowl, deer, yotes. Any specific items I could research that fits this? Like I said I am a terrible shopper. I read on here many brands but is there any specific style I should look at? thanks

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Timberline or the KUIU Talus fit that description. Early season without baselayer, late season with baselayer. Timberline can be tried on in store, KUIU has to be ordered. Sizing for either pant was spot on for me. Both brands accommodate longer inseams.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decided on the KUIU Talus pant. I like the idea of the water-resistance in the legs and seat area, built in knee pads, and hip vents. This pant reminds me of the Sitka Timberline a lot, with what I would consider some refinements. Have not field tested, but initial thoughts is this could be one of the best late season hunting pants made.

Why I think it will be better than the Timberline: Hip vents, knee pads more comfortable, and material is quieter. Only downfall I could see would be if you have tree trunks for legs, as the fit seems to be more athletic.

Will post another review after I try them out in the field. As of right now I would definitely recommend these pants for late season western hunting.

Have you tried out your new pants? Im just wondering how quiet they are. I have been looking at them also.

Thanks

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Timberline or the KUIU Talus fit that description. Early season without baselayer, late season with baselayer. Timberline can be tried on in store, KUIU has to be ordered. Sizing for either pant was spot on for me. Both brands accommodate longer inseams.

Thank you for that info!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
somebody put a ring on that gal

z1-bow-arrow-archery-girls-600-10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

whatever you do - especially if you are at work or have even a touch of homophobia like me - do not google "naked hunter"

- - - Updated - - -

DO. NOT.

I had to look, not naked but WOW

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have used Scheel upland pants in the past. Way to loud for stalking, hence the reason for buying a different pant. Thought I was going to get the Timberline, but for me it was still a little noisy. Figured I would try the Talus, after reading reviews. Glad I did. Absolutely quite enough to stalk in. They are definitely not as quite as fleece, but for a waterproof pant they are quite. Other pants to consider were the First Lite Catalyst and Kryptek Dalibor 3, but I have a hard time believing they would match everything the Talus does.

Have you tried out your new pants? Im just wondering how quiet they are. I have been looking at them also.

Thanks

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've always worn the brown colored jeans with the brush buster buster fronts. If gets cold I wear long johns under. Perfect for many conditions but not wet ones. Have flirted with purchasing a quality pair. I am a neanderthal when it comes to shopping. I am also a bigger dude and can't seem to find fit anywhere. Not big around so much but long. (thats what she said) Anyway I would like a pair of pants that would lighter weight and waterproof or at least resistant. Something I could wear all season though. So not too hot in early fall but warm in colder conditions. So I guess I can layer. Something that has large size range? I am 6'6 250. So a 38wx36L I would wear for all hunting. Waterfowl, deer, yotes. Any specific items I could research that fits this? Like I said I am a terrible shopper. I read on here many brands but is there any specific style I should look at? thanks
Upland pants with goretex are a nice upgrade from the non goretex pants. I would think the Cabelas ones would have a long enough inseam because i have to cuff mine and I run 32’s

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84