favorite semi auto shotgun

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs. DirtyMike will even shoot my M2 12ga. The inertia system on them is amazing. A week after I bought it I won a weatherby semi auto. It's like shooting an RPG.

I shot a sbe2 for a lot of years and had troubles with it so I finally made the switch to a winchester and haven't looked back.... until I shot Guy's 20ga. I fell in love now I must own one

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha... after I bought the M2 I shot wag's and thought "crap - should I have bought one of those sx3s instead???"

human nature? :;:huh

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
PETRAS,
Yeah,the al391 is a damn good shotgun,not to be confused with the al3901,$600? not a bad price if she's in good shape,take a close look@ the muzzle and choke tubes to check for scoring from steel shot,some guys run steel through a full choke that will damage the muzzle area and invector chokes,make sure you can remove the choke tube as well,large size steel shot will weld the choke tube to the muzzle of these guns so be careful,used shotguns are always a gamble.

- - - Updated - - -

Well norske,somewhat true,however when we look@ all the different makes and models in semi auto these days,all are pretty darn good and in his range of $1500 most if not all come with fitting shims,what fits one guy off the shelf won't fit another guy w/o some adjustments,gunfit is crucial for great performance as you stated.

Barrel length is also important,but that's another topic.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to agree with the Berreta 391. I grew up with a hand me down Rem Sportsman 58. The 391 was the closest thing I could find for fit and feel to the 58. Shot a buddy's new style A5, seemed ok to me. Maybe a little lower line of sight than the 391 if I remember correctly.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for the info guys, now i just gotta hope the guy still has the gun when i get time to head to bismarck

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to guide up in Canada alot and the Beretta and Benelli were the most expensive single shot I have ever seen. After about the 2nd day if they didnt clean them you heard the same thing. BANG//// SONOFABITCH//CHING///BANG///SONOFABITCH. I shot the same Browning gold for 15 yrs and never cleaned it and never said SONOFABITCH.

Browning got it right with the Gold

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
haven't cleaned my beretta in two years. hasn't jammed once. But that reminds me I should probably clean it

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
THE ULTRA LITE will kick the snot out ya if your running 3" ammo thru on a regular basis,I think this shotgun only weighs 6lbs,in 12ga the stock and forend is the same as benelli uses in they're 20ga version,nice little upland shotgun tho.

As far as beretta dependability goes,I ran over 3000rds thru a AL391 in 5days in agentina,never missed a beat,never cleaned it either,who knows if it was cleaned before I shot it?your gold might be the exception as it was the older model,the newer versions had cycling issues in cold weather late season waterfowling as did the 11/87 and sx1/sx2

Last edited:

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shims don't shorten a stock that's too long. And Italian shotgun makers are generous with their wood. They seem to think it's easier to remove extra wood than add to a stock.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
your gold might be the exception as it was the older model,the newer versions had cycling issues in cold weather late season waterfowling

Almost assuredly the exception. Cold weather, warm weather, clean or dirty.

The last top quality Browning Semi-Auto that truly competed with the rest of the field was the B-80, made for them by Beretta.

- - - Updated - - -

Shims don't shorten a stock that's too long. And Italian shotgun makers are generous with their wood. They seem to think it's easier to remove extra wood than add to a stock.

My last few 391's came with 2 different length recoil pads.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
M2 Benelli? I need to do some adjusting?:;:huh

Not if you're satisfied w/your results. Patterning to determine POI vs. POA is a good idea w/any shotgun. The shins to to make adjustments of POI/POA is outta whack.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't help you out with a wood stock but I love my Benelli M2.

Tough to beat an M2. Only knock I have heard is from the spring snow guys and the lack of power from the interia to drive out 8-9-10 shells quickly. I put it to the test with a +4 last spring. ( 8 total) never had any issues at all. ( except how insane a box of shells goes) haha I would definitely look at the M2.

- - - Updated - - -

Fwiw benalli bought stoeger and manufacturer them with Turkish made parts I believe. Someone correct me If I am wrong. Brother owns a stoeger and has no issues at all except it doesn't have the " comfort grip" stock and kicks like a mule compared to the M2

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Benelli Ultralight is a great upland shotgun. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and has never jammed or let me down. Recoil can be a tad bit heavy in warm weather with heavy loads but there's no real reason for that anyway. Carrying the think is a dream on long days of hunting. You wouldn't think a pound or two would make a huge difference but it definitely does.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Benelli Ultralight is a great upland shotgun. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and has never jammed or let me down. Recoil can be a tad bit heavy in warm weather with heavy loads but there's no real reason for that anyway. Carrying the think is a dream on long days of hunting. You wouldn't think a pound or two would make a huge difference but it definitely does.

I only notice the kick shooting clays, very easy to carry, I used to wonder why my shoulders ached after a long day of pheasant hunting carrying my sbe.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought an SX3 two years ago. Has been a awesome gun. Big upgrade from the benelli nova I hauled around for years!

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only notice the kick shooting clays, very easy to carry, I used to wonder why my shoulders ached after a long day of pheasant hunting carrying my sbe.

I don't really notice it shooting clays but come late season and a warm day shooting heavier loads I notice it and the few times I've shot 3" through it I definitely noticed it. Having said that, I really like it and wouldn't trade it for anything else right now.

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went through this dilemma this spring on which auto loader to buy. After asking around and testing most of the current models I went with a Browning Maxus. I have about 200 rounds or so through it and haven't had an issue. Its a lot lighter than my old 1187 and more comfortable to shoot.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
snow;15702[U said:
]THE ULTRA LITE will kick the snot out ya if [/U]your running 3" ammo thru on a regular basis,I think this shotgun only weighs 6lbs,in 12ga the stock and forend is the same as benelli uses in they're 20ga version,nice little upland shotgun tho.

My buddy has an ultra lite Benelli and I didn't think it was possible to make a 12 ga shotgun kick that much. Even trap shells deal a significant wallop when compared to any other gun including a Browning Super Light. The gun handles well and is appealing to the eye, but shooting a couple boxes of 3 inch mags would be a chore.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88