favorite semi auto shotgun

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So have you decided what you are going with??

I am looking to add another shot gun this fall. I am looking at spending around the $1500 mark, and hunt pheasants primarily.

What to you upland hunters prefer for brand, and length.

I am looking at 12 gauge, semi, and likely a wood stock, they just feel better in my hands.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
El~ FYI and anyone else with a maxus,IF you should have a cycling issue down the road which may occure shooting heavy loads and happens during waterfowl season,here is the fix,the maxus has a built in recoil spring and "o-ring" installed to the front of the forend,once you remove the barrel you'll see it,the "0-ring" has been known to split/crack and when this happens you'll have a single shot until you get a replacement,last I checked the ring cost is $50 from browning.

mounty

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Montefeltro, super Vinci, 2win sx3's, Marcus and remington versamax. I like the Maxus first. The Vinci then the rest. There is little difference from my favorite write to least favorite. All function well and all point well out of the box. The montefeltro kicks a little harder. All are synthetic. Wood breaks and swells and scratches and only belongs on an over and under imho.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone got any major gripes about the montefeltro? Went to scheels and checked out their selection and that was about the only one they had that felt good when n input it to my shoulder

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Berretta is what I am leaning too. I have a bit of time to think and shoot a few others yet.

I am an upland hunter, no waterfowl at all anymore.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 years ago I was looking for a new auto and I had I narrowed down to the sx3 and a5 and I walked out of scheels with a Franchi Affinity. Idk it just felt good in my hands is all I can say. Still like the sx3 and a5 a lot but as well as I'm shooting the Franchi id have a hard time getting rid of it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
johnr,if you go beretta don't be swayed by the lower price of beretta's A300,consider the A400 in either 3" or 3.5.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
johnr,if you go beretta don't be swayed by the lower price of beretta's A300,consider the A400 in either 3" or 3.5.

I had this same advise from Horsager last year, somehow never pulled the trigger. Mrs johnr was picking it up for me for Christmas or our anniversary or something like that, and somehow it turned into shoes for her....hahaha

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
El~ FYI and anyone else with a maxus,IF you should have a cycling issue down the road which may occure shooting heavy loads and happens during waterfowl season,here is the fix,the maxus has a built in recoil spring and "o-ring" installed to the front of the forend,once you remove the barrel you'll see it,the "0-ring" has been known to split/crack and when this happens you'll have a single shot until you get a replacement,last I checked the ring cost is $50 from browning.

Thats good to know. Thanks for the info!!!

mounty

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Montefeltro has never malfunctioned. It doesn't point as well as the others for me. I could play with the shims but don't really want to. I have plenty that fit good. I will probably sell it or give it to one of the kids and get a M2. There is nothing wrong with it other than me splitting hairs.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give the Browning Silver Hunter a look. Should be in your price point. I have owned mine for a couple years now and it has been a great rooster gun for me.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say go old school. I just picked up a Winchester Model 24 16 ga side by side made in the 1940s, can't wait to try it out on some pheasants!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to add another shot gun this fall. I am looking at spending around the $1500 mark, and hunt pheasants primarily.

What to you upland hunters prefer for brand, and length.

I am looking at 12 gauge, semi, and likely a wood stock, they just feel better in my hands.

For the first two months I use my 20-gauge Binelli Montefeltro, 26" barrel. You want to talk about light and smooth? Wowza! It's also nice coming with a $980 price tag. That's a ton of free shells compared to $1,500 for the 12-gauge.

I wasn't sure which gun to purchase either, but the guy an Runnings had me pick five shotguns and he laid them down on the counter. Had me close my eyes while he handed me each one and I would swing each one left/right and feel for the level of comfort to my shoulder. The two that stood out the best was the Browning A5 (English Stock) and the Montefeltro.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone here use a beretta Urika AL391? been in the market for a new(to me) shotgun and I see one of these on bisman for $600. I like the looks of this gun, just curious as to the performance and reliability. anyone got any input? sorry juan, not trying to hijack your thread!

Best shotgun money can buy. I have had one for years, and killed a ton of critters with it. I clean mine at the end of each season and have never, and I mean never had a problem with the gun working. I pull the trigger and it goes bang everytime for the last 17 or so years and prob 10,000 or more rounds.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a 391 but as autoloaders go, I love the handling and profile. Reminiscent of an A5 IMHO. Never handled the Urika, hope they didn't put a huge freakn' wrist on it.

I also note the continued absence of Mr. Toot

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84