Field dressing a deer

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a little propane torch and run it over the meat quickly to burn off all the hair that gets stuck to it during processing. And no, I'm not talking about holding it on the meat so it cooks it on the hanging deer, just run the flame back and forth over the meat to singe off any loose hairs.

I do that also. Watched my dad about burn the garage down he was melting wax to use on ducks we had just plucked. Amazing how many memories hunting makes

★★★★★ Legendary Member

mule.jpg
Then cowboy and big j skun it

Looks like someone is humping instead of skinning...

;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
one other benefit of quartering rather than gutting and skinning is the occasional gut shot deer ends up being much more tolerable. a buddy got one via texas heart shot this weekend that exited the side. i couldn't imagine having to gut that deer. the stink was amazing. so, i helped him out by taking 3 of the 4 quarters and the backstraps without gutting it. he was happy. we had to leave the loins in this one though. i didn't have the stomach to stick around long enough to see if i could get my hands inside her to remove them.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built a deer hoist for my truck a couple weeks ago, I have a second draw doe in a CWD area, so I have to leave the spine. I'm hoping this will work.

muz buck.jpg

I have this set up as well. They work awesome!!

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that quarter in the field- can you get a deer back to the truck in one load?

You can with a decent pack. I use an Eberlestock Just One and have gotten large mulies out in one load, both totally boned out and with front and hind quarter bones still in.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that quarter in the field- can you get a deer back to the truck in one load?

Just packed out a small buck in one load this weekend. Had to walk 3/4 mile back to the truck. I would recommend two people per deer tho. Still a bit sore from two days ago.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too quit doing the gut and hang thing. First thing I do is cut the legs off at the knees. Then put it on it's belly and cut right down the center from the back of the head to the tail. I then come down along the bottom of what'd be their jaw on both sides and in front of the front shoulders. Peel the hide down a bit and take out the neck meat. Then a cut down right behind the front shoulders. Then pull out each shoulder (although I do try to blow the $hit out of their shoulders when I shoot them so I can skip that step and avoid wasting what seems like 20 minutes for a pound of meat off each one). Then a cut down in front of the hind quarters. Peel down the hide a bit and remove both back straps. A little incision between the bottom of the rib cage and the hind quarter and I can put my hand inside and pull out the inside straps. Then I strip the hide off the hind quarters and cut them both out. Bring a few plastic bags and all my meat goes in them. I'll then freeze them if I don't have time or keep them cool until I have a chance to bone the meat out. It takes me maybe 5 minutes more than the old gut, drag, and hang method. The best part is I don't have a deer hanging that if I take the hide off right away I end up with a bunch of dried meat. If I don't I have a carcass full of hair I need to burn off. This way I no longer ever have to worry about taking care of that hanging deer because the temps getting warm outside or whatever. With it wrapped in plastic in the the freezer, I can take care of it whenever I feel like it.

btw.... According to the wardens you do need to remember 2 things. #1. You need to cut the head off as it must be with the carcass when you transport it home. #2. You do need landowner permission to leave the carcass in the field. Otherwise, it's considered littering.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am with others and use the gutless method quite often. I don't hunt whitetails as much anymore though and so I'm not shooting deer in places where you can just drive a truck up to and load it whole.

As others mentioned, you end up with a little more hair on the meat but that isn't too big of a deal. And as espringers said, if an animal is gut shot, it is a no brainer to do the gutless method and not get guts all over the meat. Some states require you to take the tenderloins, otherwise it is wanton waste and so I'll still take the tenderloins but will do that last and keep that meat separate from everything else.

And unless you are in very poor physical shape, there is no reason why a guy can't pack out a whitetail or mule deer buck in one load.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still old school. But if conditions demand it I'll try this newfangled approach in the future.

1 1/2 hours after harvest
2017-11-10 17.48.45_reduced.jpg

let's get him chilled to mid 30s asap - knowing it'll be getting warmer in two days ahead
2017-11-10 18.28.19_reduced.jpg

two days after being chilled real good and sleeping in the cold pickup bed with topper
I got it home and hung it
2017-11-12 16.42.07_reduced.jpg

next evening I turned heat up in the garage and skinned it at 60F (with beverages)
2017-11-13 18.55.56_reduced.jpg

opened garage door when I was done skinning - so back down to 38 in there in a couple hours

Thermapen probe readings of internal temps deep into hams have been between 36 and 38 degrees ever since a few hours after harvest

the "fur on" for the drive home and day/night temps have kept things aging perfect - won't even have to age anything in the fridge this year :;:rockit

I'll probably start taking "grinder parts" off (fronts, etc.) and take them inside to bone out in comfort
these coming nights - then straps and hams last, maybe a week or ten days into aging

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14