Fill tires with sand?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got a walk behind, rear tine garden tiller and the tires leak air. Its a bit of a hassle, especially because the tiller runs much better with wheel weights attached, but they block the valve stem so to add air to the tire, I have to pull the weights off every time, which are bolted on. So what Im thinking about doing is drilling holes in the sidewalls, filling them with dry sand, and then sealing the holes off. The added weight would be beneficial IMO but Im not sure what I should seal the holes with for maximum durability. I was thinking maybe caulk type sidewalk crack filler, like the self leveling stuff... Whatever I use I would like it to last a long time!

Suggestions?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You want to drill holes in the tires that already don’t hold air very well and hope to seal said holes with Silicone?
Yeah, but I wouldnt put AIR in them anymore. Basically I want to create a solid core tire using sand or something similar.

Instead of filling the hole with silicon or whatever, I could probably do like this guy and use a tire plug...

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rubber cement will seal your holes up again permanently.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
or put extensions on the valves routed to a handy place

or swap rims so valves are on the non-weighted side

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe fix the tires so they hold air???
Yeah maybe, Im looking for a more permanent solution, ive gone that route before, and it helps for a few years and then I end up with issues again....

Also I was thinking if I could make these tires heavy enough, then I wouldnt even have to bother with the wheel weights anymore.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a can of foam and take inner valve stem out and put tube from can in and fill it up.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would check with a tire dealer like Firestone because I know they make special stuff to put in forklift tires and bobcat tires so they are puncher proof. LB

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah maybe, Im looking for a more permanent solution, ive gone that route before, and it helps for a few years and then I end up with issues again....

Also I was thinking if I could make these tires heavy enough, then I wouldnt even have to bother with the wheel weights anymore.
Have you tried slime or something like that?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88