First sighting ever!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coming back from the Angle Monday 3 Ruffed Grouse chicks crossed the road about 30 yards in front of me. Immediately hit the brakes. First two ran. The third one was somewhat behind so it flapped its wings and flew. NEAT. They were probably under 6 inches tall and the one that flew only got about a foot or so off the ground. Never saw Ruffed Grouse chicks that small before.
Neatest thing ever!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always good to see the young critters. Gives me warm fuzzies to know life goes on despite the stupidity of man.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Coming back from the Angle Monday 3 Ruffed Grouse chicks crossed the road about 30 yards in front of me. Immediately hit the brakes. First two ran. The third one was somewhat behind so it flapped its wings and flew. NEAT. They were probably under 6 inches tall and the one that flew only got about a foot or so off the ground. Never saw Ruffed Grouse chicks that small before.
Neatest thing ever!

Cool zog,what makes ya think "ruff" was mom with'em? lot's of spruce hen's in that area...either way good to hear might make for a good hunting season,how was fishing?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow, I am puttin my money on Ruffed. In 22 years I have been there I have seen only 2 Spruce Grouse. One tasted like crap. the other one I was happy to let it fly away.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
lol,,,agreed we all learn to let the spruce hens be but they act so stupid,shot a couple in my younger years with a sling shot while portaging in the BWCA... thought after days of raman noodles for supper agood grouse dinner was in order,shit canned the entire pan,hell my dog wouldn't eat the birds we breasted out and pan fried,far cry from a ruffie for table fare.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now here's one you may not believe. 3 years ago I saw what I thought was a Sharptail. Got out and lifted up over the tree tops. Talked to one of locals he confirmed it. Said he has seen a pair. Go figure. This was before happy hour also.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cmon Man, I thought a samsquatch crawled in your tent.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do ruffs and huns taste similar? Never shot/tasted a ruff. Sent tons of lead toward them in the Hills.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ruffies,hun's rabbit,squrriel all taste like chicken sv.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHE nothing truly tastes like chicken other than ringneck.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMHE nothing truly tastes like chicken other than ringneck.

When ya sear the meat and fire up the crock pot adding cream soup and other goodies,all that white meat tastes the same to me...it's all good just like chimkin,even quail.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since we are on the subject in 45 years of living in the Bismarck/Mandan area I have never seen a cardinal until this year. The crazy thing I was hearing this bird early in the morning making a really cool tweet or whatever the hell you call it. Lol. I wanted to see what bird was making the sound and here it is a cardinal. Nesting in my neighbors back yard.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Since we are on the subject in 45 years of living in the Bismarck/Mandan area I have never seen a cardinal until this year. The crazy thing I was hearing this bird early in the morning making a really cool tweet or whatever the hell you call it. Lol. I wanted to see what bird was making the sound and here it is a cardinal. Nesting in my neighbors back yard.

beautiful birds,put out a feeder with black sunflower seeds,cards love'em.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruffs are better than huns, more tender, must have a little more fat because they don’t dry out as fast as any of the “prairie” upland birds.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Cool! I've never seen one in ND. They're the state bird of the Hills. Here is a "unicorn" cardinal:

cache.php

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruffs are better than huns, more tender, must have a little more fat because they don’t dry out as fast as any of the “prairie” upland birds.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I could never overcome the mental game of ignoring the trees and shit between me and the bird. NEVER got a straight away shot. Never hunted them over dogs. Makes me sad... We used to go on the abandoned strip mine behind my grandmother's house and either kick or rock brush piles left over from logging. Did fair to middlin' on cottontails. It retrospect it was a much fun to be the kicker/rocker as the gunner. This seems a good idea for a sporting clays station...in the initial spirit of sporting clays: One night after school a pard went out on his own and got a magnificent gray fox; somehow not putting a single hole through it's ears. The lucky bastard let it freeze on his back porch overnight, kept it in a cooler for a week then sold it for a 100 bucks. The faggot was also on the football team and seemed always better supplied with pussy than a bandfag on the snare line.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mentally draw the line the bird is on and shoot out front of that. Don’t fret the trees.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84