• 51%--75%

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • 76%--100%

Votes: 36 20.5%

• Total voters

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love fishing alone and have for most of my adult life. The ole man took me fishing when I was growing up and he is probably the only person I like fishing with as much as myself. We seem to be in tune with each other for the most part. Solo trips are by far most enjoyable and relaxing. When solo there isn't the pressure of puting fish in the boat, you try new things and generally seem to do better when left to trust your own instincts.

Just seems when I take someone fishing they are losing $50 worth of cranks where no cranks should be lost, getting tangled in the motor, the worst is when you take people fishing that fish maybe once a year and they are questioning what your doing. I just wanna say "shut you friggen pie hole". Kidding. I love people. No really.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually alone unless the dog being with counts , seem to do better he don't complain if we're not catching any thing or how we fish or where we fish handful of ice out of the cooler now and again he's happy

One of things I like about going alone is taking the dog. He's not welcome in other boats, and when I take someone, my little boat is just too small for him.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do alot of my fishing alone. I love taking my kids out but it is always nice to get away for a couple hours also. I don't mind loading and unloading the boat by myself. If it goes on the trailer crooked I just pick it up and move it.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish when I can and that means alone a lot, have always enjoyed my time alone, single and no kids means if i want to go it is alone a lot. I enjoy bowhunting for same reason of just me and my me time. I really do enjoy taking kids and others who don't get to fish much out and when that happens I do go into guide mode and a lot of times don't even fish, completely my choice. Great to see others enjoy what I have for a long time. I have netted enough fish for myself over the years that I love to see others get the chance. But will also not give up my alone time though. As for docking boat alone I can compete with most in this department, as stated above just extra time to get or park vehicle when alone.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muddin' seems to lend itself better to a solo trip as most of my spots are only big enough for one guy to fish effectively and boating is definitely more of a team effort with launch/recover duties. Though I do enjoy being the guide sometimes and take particular satisfaction when my counterpart for muddin' does well.
I may take you up on that one of these days!

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mostly alone. One big advantage living in Mobridge is you don't have to plan trips. I can get home from work and have the boat in the water or fishing from shore within 20 minutes.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I enjoy fishing a lot and have time to go pretty much when I want. I really like flyfishing and around here it's a solo sport. Add to that I'm a little slower tying knots with my fingers. I may even try jigs and worm drowning soon. :D

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out alone again today. I wouldn't mind taking someone, but just didn't work out. Buddy had his kid bring his boat down out of storage, today, didn't wanna wait on that. Dog had fun though, he don't get to go unless I'm alone.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
9-10 times I'm alone. Lately I prefer it that way. I don't get a chance to go as often as I'd like so I try to make the most of it when I can. If I have a whole day free it's before sunrise til sunset. With the exception of 2 buddies that both live 4 hrs away who I see once a year, everyone else starts whining about 1030 about just keeping a limit and going home, they've got stuff to do. The only exception is my old man I used to drag him around while he was just miserable and he always was a trooper. now I let him set the end pt. I'd rather sit around and smoke cigars, drink whiskey and shoot the shit with him then lose him to a heart attack because I wanted to fish another hour.

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the way I'm always up for taking folks fishing, pm me if you want to fish Sak this summer. June and July
"if you have week days off". Beulah area ramps.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do most of my fishing on a few minutes notice so usually alone. Every so often I have a chance to plan a trip.

This. A good friend constantly whines about me giving him 2 - 12 hours of notice.

I guess I can almost sympathize, divorce is quite spendy.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess for me it is about half and half. The wife fishes with me regularly and I have 2 friends that also love to go out on the boat as well. Actually had a rough go of it alone Saturday morning on Audubon. Launched out of Totten Trail about 830...winds were 5-10 mph out of the east...not too bad. Within 2 hours the winds were up to over 20 mph with gusts that felt like 25. Headed back to the dock, knew it was gonna be tough to trailer the boat...winds/waves were hitting the dock sideways. Got the bow and stern lines ready for the dock...was gonna dock on the wind side of the dock...smacked the dock coming in, couldn't get the lines tied off. Waves pushed me sideways so the stern end facing the ramp-tried to push off and throttle up but caught a rock next to the dock with the prop. At this point I decided to call the wife, have her come down and take the truck/trailer down to 3 mile corner, but then saw 2 vehicles pull in. Guy in his jeep hopped out, came down the ramp...talked to him, gave his partner the keys to my truck. They backed the trailer down and we got the boat trailered...much thanks to the 2 gents from Minot! Moral of the story...always be prepared for the winds to kick up even when the forecast says otherwise. This lesson cost me a prop and a small dent...but it could have been much worse!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll fish alone when I have to or if I had a stressful week. Nice to get away by yourself sometimes. But, I like to fish with someone most times. Help with the vehicle and putting stuff away is great but conversation and and a second opinion is better.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may take you up on that one of these days!

Anytime Lapper.

By the way I'm always up for taking folks fishing, pm me if you want to fish Sak this summer. June and July
"if you have week days off". Beulah area ramps.

Careful what you wish for 5575. I'm off week days and Sak would be a nice change of scenery once in a while. (Grin)

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've started fishing more and more by myself. I'm certainly not going to stay home because all of my friends are married with kids and can't go. I've always been a bit of a loner, so i don't really mind being out by myself. Id say I ice fish by myself 75% of the time. When it comes to summer fishing I am usually with my dad or one of my buddies. I probably only take my boat out once or twice a year by myself.

Also, when it comes to hunting, there is nothing more fun than hitting the field with just me and the dog for a limit of pheasants. Maybe one other guy to help cover tree rows. Cant stand hunting in giant groups, although i do it a couple times a year to get on some amazing ground.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love going solo. However most times my wife or kid go. I generally watch the docking situation. One story comes to mind when I had my to young to drive son drop me off at a dock and drive the boat in heavy seas to next dock. The Audubon story above solo if wind and it has rained I go somewhere else otherwise 3 mile if it's dry

- - - Updated - - -

What about bay on back side of Totten trail. I have seen boats pull in and get truck. Not sure how shallow thougg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess for me it is about half and half. The wife fishes with me regularly and I have 2 friends that also love to go out on the boat as well. Actually had a rough go of it alone Saturday morning on Audubon. Launched out of Totten Trail about 830...winds were 5-10 mph out of the east...not too bad. Within 2 hours the winds were up to over 20 mph with gusts that felt like 25. Headed back to the dock, knew it was gonna be tough to trailer the boat...winds/waves were hitting the dock sideways. Got the bow and stern lines ready for the dock...was gonna dock on the wind side of the dock...smacked the dock coming in, couldn't get the lines tied off. Waves pushed me sideways so the stern end facing the ramp-tried to push off and throttle up but caught a rock next to the dock with the prop. At this point I decided to call the wife, have her come down and take the truck/trailer down to 3 mile corner, but then saw 2 vehicles pull in. Guy in his jeep hopped out, came down the ramp...talked to him, gave his partner the keys to my truck. They backed the trailer down and we got the boat trailered...much thanks to the 2 gents from Minot! Moral of the story...always be prepared for the winds to kick up even when the forecast says otherwise. This lesson cost me a prop and a small dent...but it could have been much worse!

Always check the forecast before you go to bed and when you wake up. National weather service was already predicting gusts up to 23 for Saturday by Friday afternoon. When i woke up at 7 on Saturday morning they had upped it to 30 mph.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, when it comes to hunting, there is nothing more fun than hitting the field with just me and the dog for a limit of pheasants. Maybe one other guy to help cover tree rows. Cant stand hunting in giant groups, although i do it a couple times a year to get on some amazing ground.

YEP!! There's just something special about working together as a team to find them birds. Until I got my English Cocker, I had no idea what these bird guys were talking about when they tried to explain the magical aura of hunting behind a good dog. Now I know!!!

TheWalleye

Honored Member
I typically fish alone or with the middle kids. He's quiet most of the time anyway and tends to appreciate the peace unless its cold... then he's a bitcher. :) I dont mind either way as long as the person i'm out with isn't a complete jabber jaw. Little talking never killed nobody but I fish for the serenity of it all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46