Fly Fishing Smallmouth

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the abundance of smallmouth in lake Audubon I was wondering if anyone has gone after them with a fly rod?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I've never tried, but my uncle is big into it in Idaho, and he thinks its very doable in a lot of the lakes and streams in ND.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'll try it out this summer. Whats the worst that can happen.

The Mantis

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bass on fly tackle is a blast. ....I've heard. May try it out this summer myself.

Timmy Hoffarth

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fed myself all last summer with a fly rod. I took trout, panfish, and pike. Great fun and my 2yo learned how to use a cane pole. My lil bugger outfished me more than once.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't fished audubon with flyrod for small mouth but have on the canal and New Johns... bead head wooly buggers work great. Sinking line, strip fly over rocks..

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I fed myself all last summer with a fly rod. I took trout, panfish, and pike. Great fun and my 2yo learned how to use a cane pole. My lil bugger outfished me more than once.

Haha, that's fantastic. Nothing better than seeing the kiddos have a good day on/near the water.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting the itch! It's hard to find anywhere that sells flies tho. Looks like I'll have to learn how to tie! Now that I've got a boat I think I'll be able to get into some of the good spots on some of the smaller lakes. But I think its going to be hard to be walking a stream or river catching trout. We'll have to see.

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have tossed flies on Audubon a few times. North lake is better IMHO. Find submerged rocks/riprap and throw patterns that resemble baitfish or crawfish (streamers, wooly buggers etc etc). Use a heavier rod and line (8 weight), as you may also hook some large carp. In fact, it is likely. In the summer on calm mornings or evenings, throw poppers on floating line and hang on. As musky13 said, the canal can be good too. Always a chance you will have pike chasing your flies at either place.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the abundance of smallmouth in lake Audubon I was wondering if anyone has gone after them with a fly rod?

If you want to tangle with smallies on a fly rod, I can probably put you on a spot or two. Assuming you can cast with minimal back cast clearance and don't mind a little mud. ;)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When this first came out, in the spirit of the new site and against my judgment I PM'd exactly where, what and when. Received toolish lack of response. Oh well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88