Forward Sonar Mounting Set Up

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone care to post what their mounting set up looks like?

In the process of getting Mega Live set up in the boat. Considering Summit- connected to the gunnel with a "d size" ram mount. Curious what everyone has set up. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run a BrewCity 60" pole on the drivers side of the boat at mid ship. The brew City Pole setup is rail mounted so no extra holes or mounting hardware is drilled into the gunnel.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the garmin ice bundle and the brew city pole with the stud that goes in my rod holders on my boat. Love the set up don’t have to worry about battery issues with the graph or the boat. I move the pole mount around the boat multiple times a day depending on what I am doing. If I spot lock I have it in the back. Trolling I run it by the console and up front when I am casting shallow or hunting down suspended fish

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great topic! As a guy that uses his FFS sonar on almost every trip out, I would be very leery of using a ram mount to hold the pole in position. I would be afraid of the flex that will happen at the ball, the last thing a person wants is un-necessary angles being subjected to your transducer. At the very least, I would also purchase summits LS MAX pole mount. When dealing with larger diameter poles, the resistance in the water is easily amplified at the mount.

Judging by the fact that you are using the mega live, I am presuming that you will not have this mounted on a shuttle, but some consideration should be given to if you plan to take this with you when you ride along with a buddy in their boat, having the same setup as others you associate with make it very easy to run and gun between boats.

In order of importance, from most to least, my checkboxes for purchasing livescope pole equipment are as follows:
- How solid is the mount
- How stiff is the pole (thats what she said)
- How easily can modes be switched (Forward,Down etc)
- How does it stow in my boat while running down the lake.

In the world we live in, there are hundreds of options out there, in about any form factor and dollar amount you can imagine. Keep it neat and clean, and keep it solid, and you will love it!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be running a Brew City mount on the rear gunnel for my wife's Livescope. On the front of the boat I will be running the attached mount (below)
Screenshot_20240222_090628_Facebook.jpg
. It is new to the market. It is very expensive; but I utilize the FFS tech every day I am on the water so I didnt care about the cost.

Depending on the bowmount you have there are other options that allow you to utilize FFS hands free. The 2 I have used are Livescanner (I have 1 refurbished for sale) and the LiveFoot by DD26. They are amazing; but you are limited to certain bowmounts for use.

I have a Fishing Specialties pole with 2 rail bases, 1 plate, and multiple thumb screws also for sale if you are interested. It is a very decent quality mount at a decent price.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My father in law will is getting the boat set up I will have to have him check this out

YCbtx

I have the garmin ice bundle and the brew city pole with the stud that goes in my rod holders on my boat. Love the set up don’t have to worry about battery issues with the graph or the boat. I move the pole mount around the boat multiple times a day depending on what I am doing. If I spot lock I have it in the back. Trolling I run it by the console and up front when I am casting shallow or hunting down suspended fish
This is my exact set up as well...however, I will be adding a rail to my boat this summer to switch from the rod mount. Really like this setup. Bonus is the portability of this setup...give me the option to move the livescope to other boats, like a fort peck trip to run 2 livescopes at same time.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something you forget to lift into the boat before you take off at full throttle. :geek:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any chance you can post a picture of the rod holder/ stud combo? This might be what I end up doing.
I have alumtrack gunnel rod holders.

Otherwise I might have to drill in a rail...

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any chance you can post a picture of the rod holder/ stud combo? This might be what I end up doing.

They have a few you tube videos on their website. DO NOT rely on the ram ball mount when moving. I had this setup last year and it was horrible. Just got the new plate stabilizer from summit a few days ago and it seems like it should work good. They claim its good up to 8 MPH. I am trying to stick with the summit pole for compact ability and ease of moving from boat to boat as I have multiple of the damn things. Originally had a brew city but didn't like how long it was for boat mobility.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member

It’s a Scotty rod holder base, just drop it in the hole and spin a hand screw in.
IMG_0052.jpeg
IMG_0055.jpeg

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_4872.jpg

That's gonna work awesome. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are these clamp on rodholders available online somewhere?
I bought this boat used and they came with it...

I do know that there was a alumatrack attachment available at superior fishing productions online. Hopefully that helps

1708719421378.png

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summit came out with a stabilizer plate for their pole and now makes the mount very strong and will stay in place in waves and while trolling. The ram/ Scotty balls are 1.5” C size. It mounts in my existing Scotty mounts in the front and back of my boat so this set up works best for me
Anyone care to post what their mounting set up looks like?

In the process of getting Mega Live set up in the boat. Considering Summit- connected to the gunnel with a "d size" ram mount. Curious what everyone has set up. Thanks in advance.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84