Garage Design

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Floor heat is a no brainer, anyone against it doesnt have it. I have 2 10’x10’ and a a 16x10’ door. If I got a do over I would do 12’ wide and 20 for the big one. That would move my 45’ to 60 and disregard the wife for saying its big enough. My depth is 28, should have went 40. In other words, 40x60 with floor heat and work out your shit later. 10x10 doors may sound big until you back your boat in, pretty tight

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about for interior finish. What’s your guys’ experience with different finishes such as Sheetrock, steel, osb, etc. Those that have done it what are the advantages, disadvantages, and challenges of each.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Menards has build program that works good for a starter. What I like is that you get a running total of the estimate and you can pick and choose between options and see the price reflection. When finished you can print it complete with estimate and materials list.

https://www.menards.com/main/menu12/design-it-center/c-13539.htm

I was happy going with a local lumberyard but if I build another one it won't be here so I won't have that option . That brings up a question , Are menards materials ok quality ? Would you buy building materials there ?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about for interior finish. What’s your guys’ experience with different finishes such as Sheetrock, steel, osb, etc. Those that have done it what are the advantages, disadvantages, and challenges of each.

I think i would do bottom 4ft metal and the rest OSB

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

My garage is sheetrocked with 4’ of dairyboard and a 4” vinyl baseboard around the bottom. It’s very handsome

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
40x36 3 doors with 36" entry, utilitiy room, floor heat, 2 floor drains (one over first 2 stalls), no ceiling fan in mine. I thought a long time about painting the floor but after talking to old neighbor who was a painter chose to use ashford formula (sealer,densifier) instead and floors drain and dry nicely and do not chalk. He said unless you bernish before painting and use expensive paint it would peel?? I put attic storage rafters in as well very cheap and added lots of storage. mine started as a 36 x 32 only thing i wish was 2ft. wider. lol good luck!!

Nmariner

Established Member
Floor heat is wonderful!!!
Ceiling Fans and windows that open.
Definitely double the number of lights they recommend.
If you end up with a bumpout have you considered a small bathroom in there? You dont have to risk getting the house bathroom dirty if you are working on things.
I would definitely go with the 5' between the tractor garage door and the wall.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88