Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We might have to set on a park bench for an afternoon again. When I plant the tomatoes in the bucket I mix in a fair amount of fertilizer 10-10-10 is what I use and seven bug killer for the cut worms and such. LB
Yes, let's find that bench this spring and talk. If spring ever comes that is.....I appreciate your company and the life stories you've got to share! Still disappointed you couldn't handle the spicy pickles 🤣

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did one year, they looked just like in the picture and tasted like regular carrots but they were on the small side, Not sure if it was that season or the variety.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Attention: Gardening has been cancelled this year due to weather.

See you all back here again in 2024.
We are not going to hit the average temps in Western ND for at least another 14 days.

Its going to be a shit show when this pattern breaks. Below average temps holding this snow pack and ice back, then suddenly 60* days, oh boy.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are not going to hit the average temps in Western ND for at least another 14 days.

Its going to be a shit show when this pattern breaks. Below average temps holding this snow pack and ice back, then suddenly 60* days, oh boy.
Glad I dont live in a flood zone...

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are plenty of people moving snow away from their homes. One of these days it is going to warm up. The snow is melting now due to the angle of the sun. At 20 degrees. 50 is going to raise hell.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
When are you guys planning on planting? My starts still need another 2 weeks probably before they are big enough to go.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When are you guys planning on planting? My starts still need another 2 weeks probably before they are big enough to go.
Last week of May through first week of June. Taters and onion sets next week. Cutting my tater this weekend so they cure before planting. First planting of carrots next week too. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last week of May through first week of June. Taters and onion sets next week. Cutting my tater this weekend so they cure before planting. First planting of carrots next week too. LB
Reason for cutting, curious ? Have just always pieced and planted previously.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Reason for cutting, curious ? Have just always pieced and planted previously.
By cutting and letting cure so that a "skin" forms on the cut part there is less chance the "seed potato" will rot. I plant about 500 each year and only a few will not start this way. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
By cutting and letting cure so that a "skin" forms on the cut part there is less chance the "seed potato" will rot. I plant about 500 each year and only a few will not start this way. LB
Do you let them air dry or in bag in fridge ?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Air dry in garage on a sheet of plywood or cardboard. Lay out so skin side down and not touching so all cut sides are exposed to air for about 5 days usually. they are ready to plant when no moisture is apparent on cut sides. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep my Short hair loved them, she would dig them out of the garden herself was interesting to watch, used to blame the boys until I seen how she did it
My lab does the same thing and potatoes too. Have to watch her like a hawk when working in the garden. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an interesting conversation with a potato farmer who is 102 years old and still of sound mind. He told me all about cutting seed potato with a seed cutter . Me being from the hills , I had never heard of such a machine so I had to find one online. Pretty cool setup.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88