Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
motion activated toys help .but you have to keep moving them around the garden. Chipmunks in the strawberries are coming to a halt this spring. you can trap them with a 5 gallon pail trap like mice.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just FYI for you guys, if you let the onions grow too large, when you transplant them, theres a risk of them going dormant, which is NOT what you want. Trust me ive had it happen, the tops will die back and they will be dormant for a few months and start growing mid to late august and it sucks. Try to transplant them when they are about the thickness of a bamboo skewer, if they get pencil sized you might end up having problems.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see people giving advice for fall planting. Has anyone tried it in ND ? I remember helping my mom plant potatoes under straw and leaving them through the winter but don't remember if she got potatoes. we usually get a few bonus plants that have gone to seed, surprisingly ,wild tomatoes in a raised bed produces an abundance of volunteer plants from having way too many harvesting, the plants eventually catch up later in the fall by the time the others ones are drying up so it's two crops.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cottontails. I live in the sticks and I shoot every dam one I see within a mile of the place especially in the winter and spring. Keep the breeding population down or they screw like "RABBITS":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. LB

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had volunteer plants of nearly every nature except cukes the following year. But, I don't let cukes go to seed AND get tilled under. So, who knows.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had squash for supper tonight , It keeps well in a cool area and tasted just as good as any fresh squash I've eaten.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you gardeners grow microgreens and sprouts in the winter ? I'm starting to realize that the claims about the health benefits are probably real. We had tried them many years ago back when we were young and full of energy but it was more of a hobby and we were busy and the novelty wore off. Lately we have been growing lots and eating them daily if not twice a day and It's very noticeable how much more energy I have.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you gardeners grow microgreens and sprouts in the winter ? I'm starting to realize that the claims about the health benefits are probably real. We had tried them many years ago back when we were young and full of energy but it was more of a hobby and we were busy and the novelty wore off. Lately we have been growing lots and eating them daily if not twice a day and It's very noticeable how much more energy I have.
Not surprisingly, I was into sprouts for a while. I do think there are benefits, onion sprouts on a burger are great. maybe i should revisit them again.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They say microgreens have 40 times more nutritional value VS when you eat the same plant in the adult stage . Wife and I both love salad and gardening so it's good hobby wise and nutritionally. I like how fast they grow, broccoli is 8 days seed to harvest in a mason jar with a screened top. 3 or 4 days in total darkness and finish off in window sill . Sunflowers I seed heavy (almost touching) in dirt in a shallow tray then I use my electric knife for harvest cuts them like butter and they fall into the colander. Those take about 10-12 days .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Planting 600 to 700 onion seed in grow trays under grow lights today to see how it works. Dont start much of anything else until April or it gets too leggy on me. LB

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally Id maybe plant half of them now and wait a couple weeks to plant the rest, biggest problem Ive had with starting onion seeds inside is them getting to big before I can move them out and then they will go dormant when you transplant them. If your lights and grow area are on point they can grow pretty fast, although they tend to start out fairly slow. Its up to you, but post pictures to keep us updated. I should plant a tray or two also soon to see how they grow compared to yours. What variety are you planting?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally Id maybe plant half of them now and wait a couple weeks to plant the rest, biggest problem Ive had with starting onion seeds inside is them getting to big before I can move them out and then they will go dormant when you transplant them. If your lights and grow area are on point they can grow pretty fast, although they tend to start out fairly slow. Its up to you, but post pictures to keep us updated. I should plant a tray or two also soon to see how they grow compared to yours. What variety are you planting?
Candy Hybrids. KDM already has an order in, he and Sandy want 100 lbs this fall. Not keeping them under grow lights all the time, Will set in front of Dinning room window once they are started so that should slow them down some. These get to softball size and larger for me in the sandy loam that is my garden soil. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planting 600 to 700 onion seed in grow trays under grow lights today to see how it works. Dont start much of anything else until April or it gets too leggy on me. LB
I have the same problem with starting early. Tomatoes get leggy and break off easily when planted. Rather I plant shorter plants in warmer soil. Straight down. They grow like crazy. One year my plants froze early. I bought small plants and they grew quickly. They ended up producing the same as the few that didn’t freeze. Good luck with the onions. My greenhouse/garage is way too cold.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My tomatoes do get leggy but I plant them in 5gal buckets with the bottoms cut out. Buckets are shoved down into the soil about 4 or 5 in and then I plant 2 tomatoes in center real deep and then the wire cage go in the bucket. As the plant grows I trim off all branches that are inside bucket so just stalk is inside bucket so that when I water I can fill the bucket with water and not worry about starting leaf blight. With my sandy soil all the water will soak away within a few minutes. works well for me. Last year my early girl tomatoes produced at least 50 tomatoes per plant that way. LB

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Started a bunch of peppers yesterday, trying to get a head start with some of the slower ripening spicy varieties. Going to try starting onions in a couple weeks, Dakota tears and walla wallas.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My tomatoes do get leggy but I plant them in 5gal buckets with the bottoms cut out. Buckets are shoved down into the soil about 4 or 5 in and then I plant 2 tomatoes in center real deep and then the wire cage go in the bucket. As the plant grows I trim off all branches that are inside bucket so just stalk is inside bucket so that when I water I can fill the bucket with water and not worry about starting leaf blight. With my sandy soil all the water will soak away within a few minutes. works well for me. Last year my early girl tomatoes produced at least 50 tomatoes per plant that way. LB
Appreciate the insight. I may very well try it this year! Any other insider tips for other veggies you grow? I envy your green thumb.....

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Appreciate the insight. I may very well try it this year! Any other insider tips for other veggies you grow? I envy your green thumb.....
We might have to set on a park bench for an afternoon again. When I plant the tomatoes in the bucket I mix in a fair amount of fertilizer 10-10-10 is what I use and seven bug killer for the cut worms and such. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the use of the buckets. I cut the bottom off and cut them in half with the skillsaw. It really helps control the amount of water. Besides it targets the water to the roots. Been doing it for 30 years. I also trim all the bottom leaves. To reduce late blight I space the plants 30 inches apart and use a product called Revitalize by Bonide. This product really works. I spray it on cukes, squash. zucchini and tomatoes.
https://bonide.com/product/revitalize-bio-fungicide-conc/

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Plan on planting 4th of July or what? Debating on starting the next round of plants but extended forecast isn't looking promising

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the weather doesn’t warm up I will probably not be starting my plants. The garage isn’t the warmest. I may have to go to Fargo for plants. I’m always looking for new and heirloom tomatoes. This would be the first time I didn’t start my plants in 20 plus years.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88