Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
First I've heard of fire weed so looked it up and see it's a medicinal herb supposedly native to ND. I don't recall ever seeing one. What area of ND has them ?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We live NE of Bismarck about 4 miles. I have always heard that apples are best if left on the tree until after a frost or two. With Bismarck temperatures forecast in the mid to low twenties on Thursday night/Friday morning, I am thinking of picking them today or tomorrow. I have two Harld Reds and one Honey Crisp. Any thoughts on to pick or not to pick yet? Thanks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always

He lives in South Central Alaska.

Right , I googled fireweed and see it's a medicinal herb that's native to ND native but I've never saw or heard of it before. Has anyone ever noticed it growing in ND ?

Does fireweed grow in North Dakota?

Native Distribution: Throughout most of western North America; from British Columbia east to Newfoundland, south to North Carolina, west to Tennessee, and northwest to Illinois, Iowa, and North Dakota.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We live NE of Bismarck about 4 miles. I have always heard that apples are best if left on the tree until after a frost or two. With Bismarck temperatures forecast in the mid to low twenties on Thursday night/Friday morning, I am thinking of picking them today or tomorrow. I have two Harld Reds and one Honey Crisp. Any thoughts on to pick or not to pick yet? Thanks.
Apples on trees can tolerate temps approaching 26°F before frost damage occurs. If they freeze on the tree, wait for the fruits to thaw before harvesting. Frozen fruits should be used promptly.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have picked mine, 19f in my yard in bismarck this morning. Apples can handle temps down close to 20 IF they are close to ripe/sweet, the more sugar the colder they can go. Pretty sure most of mine are shot after this cold unfortunately.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard this too.

We moved about 6 years ago, I planted a long apple tree, we have 2 pear trees that actually produce fruit, however my apple tree is on a 2 year no apple routine. Question for you, or anyone is the apple tree going to need another apple tree to produce, as my former yard I had a single apple tree that produced wonderfully, I really don't want 2 apple trees, nor do I have room for it.

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard this too.

We moved about 6 years ago, I planted a long apple tree, we have 2 pear trees that actually produce fruit, however my apple tree is on a 2 year no apple routine. Question for you, or anyone is the apple tree going to need another apple tree to produce, as my former yard I had a single apple tree that produced wonderfully, I really don't want 2 apple trees, nor do I have room for it.
If there is a flowering crab apple, crab apple or apple tree within half a mile I would think that the bees would do a good job of pollinating your tree from them.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Previous owners planted two honey crisp trees in my yard. Moose got one before I could get fence up around them and is fighting to recover (no flowering). The other has flowered for two years and and no fruit. I read up a bit on it and some resources say they need a cross pollinator within 50 feet and others I saw said 200 feet. There's crab apples a few houses down form me and I never got any pollinators from it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard this too.

Simple to graft another variety or two onto it and then it will pollinate itself from those branches, if there arent any other apple trees in your area...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is a flowering crab apple, crab apple or apple tree within half a mile I would think that the bees would do a good job of pollinating your tree from them.
I have a crab apple, 2 pear trees, and some sort of other berry tree all within 50 feet of it.
If I dont get apples next year I will have to replace, or plant another I am guessing.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a crab apple, 2 pear trees, and some sort of other berry tree all within 50 feet of it.
If I dont get apples next year I will have to replace, or plant another I am guessing.
Before you replace it try pruning it late next winter/early spring. Correctly. Lots of videos on YouTube. I did it and finally after seven years it started to produce. I also heard that whacking the tree with a bat will shock them into producing. Of course late spring frosts don’t help.

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before you replace it try pruning it late next winter/early spring. Correctly. Lots of videos on YouTube. I did it and finally after seven years it started to produce. I also heard that whacking the tree with a bat will shock them into producing. Of course late spring frosts don’t help.
All good advice. Late spring pruning will many times get a lazy tree to be productive. It is a bit of a shock which gets it going. Striking the trunk with a wood bat will sometimes do the same thing. I little is good, a lot is NOT better. To much hitting can damage the tree. Two or three whacks will many times do the job. But, with yours, I think the pruning will get things going for you.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost time to start thinking about the gardening season already , has anyone ever tried growing mushrooms ? I bought a kit a couple years ago and nothing happened, I got zero mushrooms for $12. I'd probably try it again if I knew there was half a chance. I followed the instructions to a T so I probably bought junk.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost time to start thinking about the gardening season already , has anyone ever tried growing mushrooms ? I bought a kit a couple years ago and nothing happened, I got zero mushrooms for $12. I'd probably try it again if I knew there was half a chance. I followed the instructions to a T so I probably bought junk.
Are you wanting psychedelics Davey? 🤣😂🤣 I've heard those aren't so hard.....but morels, good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 9