Getting paid to catch pikeminnows 👀

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’ve had that program out there for a long time. I know some people that have done it when they lived out there.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
They used to have a different name but now have a more politically correct terminology along with everything else

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paying that kind of $$ for these fish is crazy! Talk about a wasteful bounty program...tagged fish are $500 each!
There must be a more economical way to lower their #s.
Oregon seems be fit right in with the weird West-coast crowd.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you would think that but they wouldn't want to damage their precious trout and salmon. There is definitely an easier solution but that solution would literally kill everything in those waters, you would have tons and tons of dead fish to deal with and you still couldn't guarantee you eradicated the pikeminnows.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You could hire out as protesters at night to help pay for motel room.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could hire out as protesters at night to help pay for motel room.
That would be great Lb get some tree huggers with DD to punish those dirty fishermen killing all those innocent defenseless pikeminnows. I think this a great idea

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDGF should do this for catfish on the Missouri. Pretty sure I would make a living off it every summer.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an uncle that has done this for years. this year was one of his top 5 years and he was paid over $60,000 this year. but you have gas, ice, bait and such and to make that kind of ching is a lot of work and dedication .But a few things on this that I know as fact, 1st is most is not for the most part paid for by Washington DNR, but is actually sustained by the power generating plants that are on the Columbia River, since they were put in the Squawfish has flourished and decimated the salmon population so DNR gave ultimation of this type program paid for by them of remove power generating dams. another thing is you must turn the bounty fish in each day because the DNR actually sells them to a pet food manufacturer and they make pet food and fish pellets for feeding the pen raised salmon before release. My uncle is Retired but fishes a lot and has done this for years and has made some good money doing it but the way he does it is treated like a job. The bounty time is from May-September each year. There a lot of regulations for them on this also. My uncle caught 7 tagged fish this year, twice 2 in one day

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank for the insight bud, so the video that I posted is a pretty normal way or do most fish from along the river banks.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank for the insight bud, so the video that I posted is a pretty normal way or do most fish from along the river banks.
my uncle fishes from boat but a lot of times ties up on shore and fishes out of back of boat. you could shore fish but limited on spots to fish and better in other areas than a lot of the shore spots available.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question why is fishing only during a certain time of the year? Obvious answers to me is spawning of other species or less chance of getting attacked by predators or am I way off.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The season is for the bounty, i believe you could still fish them but wouldn't get paid. So not completely sure but as stated in video not looking to eliminate but control to a certain population because the are native but #'s ballooned after dams put in to best of my knowledge. I also believe this program is for residents only, or it was a while back and don't believe it's changed. If I went out there and fished with my uncle I would have to turn my fish in thru him and that is illegal. At least that is how it was a few years ago when i considered spending a few weeks out there.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The season is for the bounty, i believe you could still fish them but wouldn't get paid. So not completely sure but as stated in video not looking to eliminate but control to a certain population because the are native but #'s ballooned after dams put in to best of my knowledge. I also believe this program is for residents only, or it was a while back and don't believe it's changed. If I went out there and fished with my uncle I would have to turn my fish in thru him and that is illegal. At least that is how it was a few years ago when i considered spending a few weeks out there.
Ah that sucks 😕

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73