Getting walleyes out of the weeds

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is only my 2nd year of boat ownership and fishing out of a boat. After experiencing the fishing doldrums of the heat in midsummer last year ive been reading alot about walleyes spending alot of time in the weeds during that time of the year. Some of the things i have researched so far and am going to try this year is using lipless hard baits like rattletraps and jigs rigged weedless with soft plastics. Anyone have any luck with other presentations for probing the weed they would like to share?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
This year I've started runnings cranks above the weeds or at the weed edge line. It has gone better than expected.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever technique that gets you over the weeds, along the edge of the weeds, or depending on how spooky the fish are, into "pockets" of open water within the weeds. Lipless cranks w/trebels replaced by singles. Plastics rigged weedless. Slip-bobbers. Cranks, spinnerbaits, topwaters that tease the tops of the weeds.

Dynamite and a dip net.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing the gov cup a few years back found a pattern. the wind was blowing about 15-20 mph and the weeds you could see below the surface in 12 to 14 feet you would throw a weedless jig into the weed line and drift with the wind back and as soon as the jig ripped though the weeds you would get a fish. We jumped 25 places that day. caught a lot of fish

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
One article i read dealt with 10 radio tagged walleyes in some northern state lake, i dont remember which one it was. If i remember my figures right 2 of the 10 moved to the deeper part of the lake and spent most of the summer there. 2 moved from shallow to deep throughout the day. These 2 were caught by fisherman. The remaining 6 spent the majority of the summer in shallow weeds regardless of time of day.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it SO depends on the weeds

there are weeds - and there are "so snotty it takes me a half hour to unfoul one treble hook" weeds

I ain't got time for those weeds... I tell you what

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to troll cranks next to or over them. Once Ive located the fish I will slip bobber or pitch jigs.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cover ground quick by pitching or trolling. Find the pockets and sit on them. Bobbers or fancasting with a shadrap (upsize hooks or a mimic).
I like to troll cranks next to or over them. Once Ive located the fish I will slip bobber or pitch jigs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76