Good Idea for Swimbaits or Not???

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a certain full body side-to-side "roll" or shimmy that certain jig weight, body, and hook length combinations have that is magical. I look for it whenever I pitch and try to attain it. I'm fairly certain it's key in many situations.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those will work great. What kind of hook.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a certain full body side-to-side "roll" or shimmy that certain jig weight, body, and hook length combinations have that is magical. I look for it whenever I pitch and try to attain it. I'm fairly certain it's key in many situations.

The Linders have advocated rigging them sideways.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Lindners could catch fish rigging them backwards.

Ain't that the truth! Then they would explain how and why and make perfect sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Friends back in Ohio have been raving about some swimbaits made by a guy on an Ohio fishing forum. They are called Big Joshy Swimbaits. They offer a 1/8 oz 3/0 hook on a 3.25" bait (I think my memory is correct, it happens sometimes). They also have a chart that matches best color for conditions and species. I have yet to order any

Last edited:

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the walleye assassins. I would think you'd be fine with the longer shank and wider gap, but it could stop some of that back and forth wobble it does with the body. but again it's probably tough to tell the difference

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey KDM, your long shank idea and GuyWhoKillsDream's comments made me think of a compromise. View my awesome diagram and let me know if it makes sense. You get the full benefit of a long shank for hookups, but without hindering any of the paddle-tail action. Thoughts??? Doable??? Make some prototypes. I'd be happy to product test them for you :D
Jig Idea design for KDM.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most swim baits are designed to run a wide gap, long shank hook. You will snag a bit more, but lose ALOT less fish.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer, they make jigs that do that exact thing. Bass boys have them for their jig n' pig type stuff.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey KDM, your long shank idea and GuyWhoKillsDream's comments made me think of a compromise. View my awesome diagram and let me know if it makes sense. You get the full benefit of a long shank for hookups, but without hindering any of the paddle-tail action. Thoughts??? Doable??? Make some prototypes. I'd be happy to product test them for you :D

ha ha ha
65931323.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most swim baits are designed to run a wide gap, long shank hook. You will snag a bit more, but lose ALOT less fish.

crap... I guess the jigs I've always used for swimbaits ARE considered wide-gaps? (VMC moon eyes, Scheels copycats)

who would use crappy little gap ones for swimbaits? ha ha ha... sorry. I'm old. Carry on.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys right you guys suck...haha

#smallgapsmatter

sorry I drug you into this only to have to let you down

sorta how I bragged you up a few threads ago right before your FBO infidelity was uncovered

In all honestly I was thinking some of those stupidly wide gaps that just look goofy

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was tempted to do a little FBO whoring last night, but came to my bridge builder senses

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12