Guides/Sak

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you think guides should be able to keep their limit and give to their clients?

I see pictures of guides from Sakakwea with an extra limit at the cleaning table (3 clients, 20 fish)

I know its legal but I just wanna know if you think its right/wrong ? thoughts

Also, please dont misinterpret this as starting internet drama, Iam just curious what other people's perspectives are. Thx

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last I check guides paid for a fishing license just like you and I do....

What they do with the fish they keep is their business and nobody elses as long as they aren't going to waste. If their clients catch their limit, the guide wouldn't then be legally allowed to give them their limit. Without more context, you don't know if that 4th limit went to clients or into the guides freezer so this is really a nothingburger and it looks like your just trying to start drama.

All that being said, I would think a Guide would be more driven to follow the rules than the average weekend warrior... Their livelyhood relies on it both in the quality of the fishery and in their reputation as a guide.... There isn't much else that looks worse for a guide than having a black mark on their record because they don't follow the rules. Not 100% sure but I would think that they'd be subjected to harsher penalties if they got caught in a violation like you mention.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last I check guides paid for a fishing license just like you and I do....

What they do with the fish they keep is their business and nobody elses as long as they aren't going to waste. If their clients catch their limit, the guide wouldn't then be legally allowed to give them their limit. Without more context, you don't know if that 4th limit went to clients or into the guides freezer so this is really a nothingburger and it looks like your just trying to start drama.

All that being said, I would think a Guide would be more driven to follow the rules than the average weekend warrior... Their livelyhood relies on it both in the quality of the fishery and in their reputation as a guide.... There isn't much else that looks worse for a guide than having a black mark on their record because they don't follow the rules. Not 100% sure but I would think that they'd be subjected to harsher penalties if they got caught in a violation like you mention.
You beat me to it. Well said Petras. ( Assumptions coming from pics on the internet. Look in the mirror, maybe it isn't as pretty as you think?) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure I'd be a very unsuccessful guide.

And for far more reasons than me not being that great a fisherman. :)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are rules to gifting, even if I am not sure anyone actually follows them.

From the proclamation:
Any fish (whole and/or fillets) may be given (gifted) to another individual, but the fish must be counted in the donor’s daily limit. Individuals who receive gifted fish may not exceed the possession limit while the fish are being transported.

Gifted fish, including packages of fish, must be accompanied with the following information from the individual gifting the fish: name, fishing license number, phone number, date, species and number of fish gifted.

Except for legally gifted fish, it is illegal to possess or transport another individual’s game fish or parts thereof without the license holder accompanying or as otherwise permitted.

Commercial processors, common carriers and common storage areas may possess any individual’s legally taken possession limit of fish. Each package must be labeled with the owner’s name and address.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect many of us have gifted a fish or two at the dock when our catch proved disappointing enough without ever doing the gifting paperwork.

Nonetheless, by the letter of the law if I were to go to Devils Lake on a two-day guided trip, I can still only bring home 10 walleyes. It doesn't matter if they were legally caught and gifted to me by the guide.

IFishND

I really don't care what guides do. 5 fish isn't much to worry about is it?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guides shouldn’t be able to financially benefit from a public resource.
Just guides? What about commercial fishermen, lumberjacks, oil companies, or farmers and ranchers? Lots of people/industries depend on public resources for employment.

And this is about the only time you will find me defending guides as a group!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just guides? What about commercial fishermen, lumberjacks, oil companies, or farmers and ranchers? Lots of people/industries depend on public resources for employment.

1691699609645.png

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fished with a guide on DL last summer. Fun guy to fish with and visit with. When we were all setup a young lady in our group was having a little trouble hooking fish after a bite. The guide got out his rod, caught a fish or two then laid the rod by the young lady and instructed her to watch both rods and if there was a bite she was to use either rod. At the end of the day we had a 20 fish limit and everybody except the young lady was real close to catching their 5 fish limit. Who's going to argue about a young lady trying to learn something about fishing if she reeled in a fish or two over her limit. The guide did take his limit of 5 fish home. He liked to eat fish as well.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not right, if they get caught oh well, we are not all perfect for sure.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

That’s what I said…….guides, because this thread is talking about guides.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you against taxi cab/uber/lyft drivers making a profit from driving people around on public roads?

In the grand scheme of things, thats what a Guide is... A person who spent money on a vehicle, learned where to go in an area, and charges people a fee for said transportation services... No different than a cab driver. (except they don't usually smell like a mix of old spice, ass, and B.O.)

The problem here is people fail to see that a guide is essentially just a driver with knowledge of an area and how to catch fish. If people want to pay them for a ride to a fishing spot and to borrow their gear for a few hours, so what...

ETA: I should also add that all of the folks who utilize a guide service pay for the same fishing licenses that you and I do, they have just as much of a right to utilize the resource as we do. They just choose to hire a driver instead of buying a boat....

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you against taxi cab/uber/lyft drivers making a profit from driving people around on public roads?

In the grand scheme of things, thats what a Guide is... A person who spent money on a vehicle, learned where to go in an area, and charges people a fee for said transportation services... No different than a cab driver. (except they don't usually smell like a mix of old spice, ass, and B.O.)

The problem here is people fail to see that a guide is essentially just a driver with knowledge of an area and how to catch fish. If people want to pay them for a ride to a fishing spot and to borrow their gear for a few hours, so what...

ETA: I should also add that all of the folks who utilize a guide service pay for the same fishing licenses that you and I do, they have just as much of a right to utilize the resource as we do. They just choose to hire a driver instead of buying a boat....

This thread isn’t about taxi cab drivers…….I thought I made my comment clear in the post above.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread isn’t about taxi cab drivers…….I thought I made my comment clear in the post above.
Holy shit for dense..... Please, go back and read the rest of my post and tell me what part of it you don't understand... If you read the rest of it, you will see the reason I asked the taxi cab driver and hopefully you will be able to understand the comparison...

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s not like they are raking in the dough, maybe enough to pay off their sparkly boats and $80k trucks. People are making money from public resources all the time.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
The funniest shit about this thread is here we are picking on guides when all the politicians are sitting back laughing at us bending us over from every direction possible who gives a shit if someone makes a little money off a walleye . Dig deep into some our good ole ND politicians there the ones laughing bending us over

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84