Hamburger from a grown bull?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just thinking out loud here but, if you are doing it to help needy families ( kudos to you), I would not worry one bit if it's not USDA grade A.
I sure hope they appreciate the gift.

For God's sake, it's meat!!!
Not worried about USDA grade at all. The long and short of it is I've had 3 opportunities in the last few years to get a full grown bull without cost, but didn't have the right pieces in place to deal with it. Nor did I know if all the effort would result in 800 lbs of dog food instead of ground beef going to folks who could use it. From what I'm hearing, it makes at least acceptable ground beef so if there is another opportunity in the future, I will probably be doing a whole bunch of grinding. Thanks fellas for the insights and experiences.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would shoot it. Gut it out and skin it. Cut it in half and let it age 7 days. You will have very good burger. If need be mix in some beef fat. When we butchered buffalo we would hang for 4 or 5 days. Grind the whole Buffalo and the 2nd grind mix with beef fat. Good hamburgers

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
You won't have ANY issue with having edible burger!

PS: Wagyu is PHENOMENAL for those who haven't tried it!!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iv'e always wondered the same about milk cows. Say a guy picked up a couple Holstein bottle calves and pastured them and feed them some grain. No idea how much a day old calf would cost or the feasibility of it but dairy farmers used to give them away when I was a kid.
My grandparents did this all time when milking back in day, very rich and tasty. Eating good all the time meat is more red and fat layers are bigger than normal.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a problem other than the meat will be very lean.

Had a friend years ago who's dad had a feed yard and they had several pens of "baloney bulls",

I inspected for USDA a few times in a bull and cow kill floor. Most of it was sent for ground products like burger, sausage etc. The better (fatter) cuts went for cheap marinated steaks like you find in some parking lots for sale and some restaurant chains. If you go ahead and do this KDM shoot me a PM.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84